Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Tonsils Swollen- No Pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi - i'm new here and hoping you might be able to help me.

Last friday I woke up with swollen tonsils and neck glands. My throat hurt a bit, but only on swallowing - and my neck glands hurt when I pressed them. I also felt tired and a bit irritable (!).

By sunday, my neck glands were no longer swollen or painful and the sore throat had gone. But the swollen tonsils were still there (albeit painless) - and they still are today. Also my ears feel 'blocked up'.

I have had strep throat in the past - and it was very very painful - nothing like this. I also had glandular fever (epstein barr) when I was 17 (i am now 33). So I really can't think what is going on here!

Also, as far as I can see, there is no white/ grey 'covering' on the tonsils, or while patches/ulcers on them. They just seem to be bigger than usual.

I have no other symptoms e.G. Cold/cough/nasal drip etc. However, there was a small amount of yellowish phlegm (sorry!!).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 21st, 2009
I have mono (epstein barr) right now and all everyone is telling me is to rest up to avoid a relapse. Do you think it's at all likely that your illness from age 17 is acting up again? because your symptoms are veryyyy similar to mine a few days back. Whatever the case...good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?