Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

What causes extreme dizzy spells & dizziness?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I have been having extreme dizzy spells for past few months. with the dizziness i am weak in the knees, nauseated, feel as tho the world is spinning out of control and if I don't catch myself I will fall. I have fallen a few times. The episodes usually last for about 10 minutes or so as long as I sit and don't move. Then things start to clear up. But I am always left with a feeling of lightheadedness like my head is disconnected from my body. the past epidsodes I blew off and don't remember the circumstnces surrounding them but this last one I realized that I had not eaten all day and this was at 12:30pm. Could this be a new type of siezure? Or could I have developed the diabetes that seems to run so strong on my fathers side of the family? Or god-for-bid is it something all together new? Is it something that I need to go get checked out right away or can it wait?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2007
General Q&A Answer A2363
According to your symptoms (extreme dizziness that last about 10 minutes), you could be experiencing some or any of these conditions:
1. syncope - blood pressure decrease due to either cardiogenic or non-cardiogenic reasons;
2. hypoglycemia - drop in blood-sugar level and usually due to diet;
3. anemia – low hemoglobin in the blood that does not supply enough oxygen for the brain;
4. inner ear disorder – the center for maintaining the body’s balance is placed here, and
5. neurological disorders (epilepsy, extra-pyramidal syndrome etc.).
You can first visit your primary health provider. Several diagnostic procedures can be performed to exclude or confirm some of the disorders mentioned above. These diagnostic procedures include: a physical examination, blood analyses, ECG, ENT-examination, neurological examination with EEG, etc.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.