Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Persistent Chest Pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi!

Newbie here, first post...

For over a year now, i've suffered from persistent chest pain. I don't feel it 24hrs a day, but several times a day i'll get sort of a throbbing slightly to the left of the center of my chest, right under my breast. Accompanying these pains is shortness of breath and dizziness, and often numbness or tingling in my limbs (most often my left arm, but sometimes my other arm and both legs). I see spots, and feel like i’m going to pass out. I’ve been self-medicating w/ alcohol (dumb, I know – but it’s the only way I can get “back to normal” – and at the moment I have no insurance and thus, no way of seeing a doctor).

This all started after a trip to the hospital after a bad experience w/ methamphetamine (i’m not a heavy drug user – I haven’t touched that stuff in months, and even then, it was a minuscule amount). There, they took x-rays of my heart and said that I was fine, and I was sent home. About three months later, after suffering these “attacks” daily, I went to see a doctor. He basically laughed me off and prescribed me some strong ibuprofen, attributing it to muscles. The spells have gone on every since.

A friend of mine who works in the medical field often laughs at me and says it’s simply anxiety. But that’s sort of a catch-22, isn’t it? Does my chest hurt because I have anxiety? Or do I have anxiety because my chest hurts?

Anyhow, i’ve been to clinics and hospitals recently due to my alcoholism, and they’ve all checked me out and found nothing wrong with me. However, even once i’ve sobered up for several days, the spells continue.

Well, forgive me for rambling on. Any thoughts on my condition would be greatly appreciated…

-jeremy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 10th, 2007
Experienced User
I think any sort of chest pain should be treated seriously. An xray would have been pretty useless, go see a different gp and get his opinion
|

Experienced User
I think any sort of chest pain should be treated seriously. An xray would have been pretty useless, go see a different gp and get his opinion
|

Experienced User
|

Hrmmm....

Thank you matt182...

But, as i've stated in my previous post, i've been to several different doctors, hospitals and clinics (to be more specific: 3 hospital trips, once to see a gp (who laughed me off), and once to a rehabilitation clinic). None of these "visits" have yielded any logical explanation of my condition... And I lack the financial means for a thorough examination at this point.

I agree that any chest-pain should be taken seriously – however, whenever 5 doctors brush you off, you start to wonder… on the other hand, I can’t stay drunk for the rest of my life…

also – I think I should add that I was prescribed librium after my last hospital trip – it’s an anti-anxiety medication, but it was prescribed to me to help w/ my “tds” (alcohol-withdrawal tremors – i.E. “the shakes”). While it did help me tremendously w/ the tds, I still suffered my “attacks”…
|

replied January 28th, 2010
hi there i feel for you i have the excat same problem i have been to hospitail at least 15 times with my pains and same crap there is nothing wrong with u its anxiety but if that was so wouldnt it dissapere as im under little strees dont take anti anxity meds it make it worse trust me i have had these pains for 5 months i wake most nites from it
|