Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Alternative Medicine Forum

Magnetic Therapy

I was surprised when I found how little information there was on magnetic therapy in this forum. There is scientific evidence to support it. The use of magnets for healing goes back hundreds of years, or even longer according to one of the books I read. In the twentieth century it was kick started again by albert roy davis. He advocates using only the north pole for healing. Other researchers say using both poles work well. I've used magnets (north pole) on various aches and pains and they provided great relief. I know other people who have been happy with them too, so if what your doing isn't working, you might want to look into magnets as an alternative.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 15th, 2007
I agree with you.
Try reading about pyramid power fascinating
|

replied February 15th, 2007
Experienced User
There is also scientific evidence that disproves it. Frankly, if it is to have any effect at all, it needs to be a very strong magnetic field, hence it is likely to be a placebo effect.
|

replied February 16th, 2007
Matt182
Matt 182 if the scientists disapprove of it I guess it has some kind of effect then! Anyway if it works for what ever reason that's good, maybe its just the human touch that goes with the magnet? (thought ) if the moon can move our oceans and cause millions of women to ovulate , why can't a magnet effect the iron in our bodies?
|

Experienced User
Disprove as in concluding it has no effect. And the moon doesnt cause women to ovulate, or the tides of earth for that matter. But anyway, its just another quack product looking for money - after all, it is a business.
|

Magnetic Therapy
The entire medical industry is a business, as is pretty much everything else. Does that make you disbelieve everything orthodox medicine tells you? Couldn't magnetic therapy and other alternatives, from a business standpoint, be considered competition for orthodox medicine?

Studies can easily be manipulated. Take vitamin c for example. Many studies conclude that it doesn't prevent colds or help people to get over them more quickly. Those studies use ascorbic acid, vitamin c in its least absorbable form, taken orally in low doses (usually 100mg-500mg daily). Look up vitamin c research using sodium ascorbate orally in daily doses of 10,000mg-40,000mg, and injecting 100,000mg or more daily, and you'd be amazed at what vitamin c can do. Look up the research of frederick r. Klenner, m.D.
|

replied February 17th, 2007
Experienced User
Thats beacause those products work, you dont see doctors or physios treat patients with magnetic fields..Simply because it doesnt work!
Anyhow your entitled to your opinion, if you think it works by all means buy as much magnetic therapy products as you want Wink :d
|

replied February 17th, 2007
Magnetic Therapy
Actually, some doctor's do use magnetic fields with patients. They've used electromagnets in hospitals to help heal broken bones for many years. More recently, they've been experimenting with transcranial magnetic stimulation as a treatment for depression. Some doctor's use static magnets too. One argument you'll hear is that only electromagnets are effective, not static magnets. That isn't true. There have been thousands of studies proving the effectiveness of static magnets, but many of them haven't been published. If you spend some time searching you'll find some of these studies on the web. The north pole of the magnet is the side that should be used, and if the magnet isn't strong enough, and isn't used for the proper amount of time, it won't work. That's how studies on magnets are manipulated. Studies that show magnets don't work either use bipolar magnets, which have a long history of inconsistent results, use the south pole, which will worsen the condition or use a north pole magnetic field that is too weak.
|

replied February 22nd, 2007
Magnetic Therapy
I would have to agree with magnetic therapy being effective for aches and pains. My father uses a magnetic bracelet to get rid of the minor arthritis in his right wrist. He was skeptical at first but now fully advocates the use of magnets for those sorts of problems.
|

replied February 22nd, 2007
Experienced User
There is no proof that magnets have any healing powers, according to researchers from Drexel University in Philadelphia. Researchers say the lack of conclusive evidence of any therapeutic value of magnets in an editorial published in the British Medical Journal. They point specifically to problems creating impartial studies where patients are unaware they are using the products.

"Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. If there is any healing effect of magnets, it is apparently small since published research, both theoretical and experimental, is weighted heavily against any therapeutic benefit," says Leonard Finegold, Ph.D.
Studies carried out into benefits of magnetic insoles compared to placebo insoles (of aluminium foil) showed no significant benefit using the magnetic insoles compared to the placebo
|

replied February 23rd, 2007
No Proof???
You were saying... http://www.consumerhealthreviews.com/artic les/MagneticTherapy/PeerReview.htm

This will help explain the reality of our medical care, but you can also read the book, "Racketeering in Medicine", by James P. Carter, M.D., Dr. P.H.

http://www.consumerhealthreviews.com/artic les/News/GANGSTERSINMEDICINE.htm
|

replied March 5th, 2007
People will always try and make money when they see an opportunity, it doesn't matter what the topic is.

However, I have done a lot of research on (and experimenting with) magnets and while I don't know whether they actually help or worsen health conditions, I really do beleive that they do have an effect on the body and the poles do have different effects. I have noticed different, repeatble, effects depending on the ways magnets are used. It definately doesn't seem to be a place-bo.

I have not seen any solid evidence (that can be 100% beleiveable) either way. Until there is solid evidence, no one can be totally sure whether they help or not.

There are many things that we don't know or understand and it is always possible that we think we know/understand something when we are actually totally wrong (which does happen). Magnetism, I beleive, is one of those things that we only have a very basic understanding of. Our theory works, but it probably doesn't include the hole picture.

There are many different possibilities in how magnets could effect the body. In order to get acurate results from scientific trials or experiments, every possibility would need to be tested, including using different strenghts, sizes, positions and poles. It could also be possible that users arn't able to notice the effects - I know I didn't when I first used them.

I originally used Alex Chiu's rings, which used both poles of the magnets which were positioned above & below the little fingers. I felt many effects from these including increase in body temperature and more energy, but I stopped using when I began to develop health problems (with may or may not be related).

Since then I have used the north pole only, in many different ways. They seem to help my health problems, but as I can't be sure, I don't use them very often. They definately seem to help me to relex and sleep though.

Here is some info about it from scientists, that's not directly related to selling products (although it could be):
http://www.keelynet.com/biology/biomag1.tx t
http://www.keelynet.com/biology/biomag2.ht m

Here is an interesting experiment that I've found, which I may try sometime:
http://www.biomagnetic.org/magnetic%20effe cts.html
|
Users who thank skingston for this post: woolrestbiomag 

replied May 21st, 2012
Matt182 I dont care what certain researchers say. You have to remember many many people have good reason lie and demonise any effective natural treatment/cure.
It's fact that magnetic fields energise our cells and increases cell production. NASA found that a completely safe low frequency magnetic field of 10hz caused stimulation and tissue regeneration 4 x baseline. Low frequency magnetic fields have been PROVEN to disable bacteria counts, reduce and eliminate tumours, effectively treat mental disorders etc...
Have a look at these US Patents and clinical studies,,,

http://www.google.com/patents?id=EF0sAAAAE BAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=4665898&hl=en&s a=X&ei=xkm6T9jdJ9Co0AWfn-HRBw&sqi=2&ved=0C DUQ6AEwAA

http://www.google.com/patents?id=KD0zAAAAE BAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=4524079&hl=en&s a=X&ei=9Um6T4DsKufG0QWCy635Bw&ved=0CDcQ6AE wAA

http://www.google.com/patents?id=EK4jAAAAE BAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=5470846&hl=en&s a=X&ei=K0q6T6z4EOas0QWk09D8Bw&ved=0CDcQ6AE wAA

http://www.google.com/patents?id=sJ80AAAAE BAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=4683873&hl=en&s a=X&ei=1kq6T5OCDoSX1AX69OnvBw&ved=0CDcQ6AE wAA

http://www.google.com/patents?id=ppcXAAAAE BAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=5842966&hl=en&s a=X&ei=IUu6T7uxOoWZ0QXUt8SeCA&ved=0CDcQ6AE wAA

http://is.muni.cz/th/16561/prif_d/priloha_ 1.pdf

And how about this then,, By attaching an anode (containing silver) to a wound and passing a specific electric current though it, it causes the cells to regenerate and heal, including lost limbs!! Below is the patent including pictures showing the process of a severed toe growing back including nail,,,

http://www.google.com/patents?id=6aQBAAAAE BAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=5814094&hl=en&s a=X&ei=k0u6T9aeEMH80QWGoK2cCA&ved=0CDcQ6AE wAA

You will not find cures through the medical system, it's not in the industries interest. Just long term treatments that deal with the symptoms.
The real medicines are natural like colloidal silver mineral solutions, magnetic fields, cannabis plant etc, etc.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=-3F7AAAAE BAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=7135195&hl=en&s a=X&ei=B066T4TcB8e_0QWD49CECA&ved=0CDcQ6AE wAA

http://www.google.com/patents?id=0pcNAAAAE BAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=6630507&hl=en&s a=X&ei=KE66T_riIeTS0QXEz7DjBw&ved=0CDcQ6AE wAA

http://www.google.com/patents?id=GXDWAAAAE BAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=20100222437&hl= en&sa=X&ei=UE66T7XEKInN0QX1w43nBw&ved=0CDc Q6AEwAA
|

replied April 2nd, 2013
Magnets and Post Stroke Effects
I passed a stick of about 15 very strong little magnets over my hand and wrist which had been badly affected by a stroke in 1999 and was staggered by the response then and in the period that followed. Trying to find anyone who is experimenting with magnets on stiffness of joints or even paralysis of body parts. Delighted to demonstrate effects to bona fide professionals.
|

replied May 6th, 2015
I havehad a lo at some of the studies on magnetic therapy and ofte they are testig things like bracelets. In other words the magnetic device can only be placed in one postin, such as yor wrist, rather than directly over the painful trigger points. From my own experience with magnets they HAVE to be plqced over what I personaly refer to as the 'source' of my pain. Ill refer to this from now on as my 'source trigger point' (thisnt a medical term, its just one I use to refer to the place which is most tender and also, when firmly pressed, feels as though the pain is coming from somewhere deep within my muscle tissue. It also often tends to be the same place which people who do 'western acupuncture' or 'dry needling' often identify as a plce to inser needles (western acupuncture/dry needling is acupuncture which does t put needles in places of 'chi' energy flow, or whatever they call it. But instead inserts the needles directly into the muscles where there is injury, pain and inflamation etc.

For example i get shoulder pain which has been scanned and diagnosed as bursitus. When my sholder area is aching with it, if I press firmly all around the shoulder area I will find one really tender spot, which also, when I press it firmly, kinda feels like (is is very hard to describe) it is where the pain is coming from. That point isnt always the same place that I feel the aching of my shoulder. Sometimes i have to poke and prod around for some time to find my 'source' trigger point

My first experience with magnetic therapy was about a year ago, when I was in a chemist, filling a prescription for pain killers for a back injury. Id been basically bed ridden for several weeks, to put it blundly i coudnt even go to the toilet without difficulty, as it was extremely painful to bend over to pull up my knickers lol.
They had these magnet things by th conter in the chemist, an I asked the pharmacist and they said they had had lots of pp who brought them come back and say they were great, and he mentioned one person had said it fixed them when nothing else had.
Anyway to be honest I really didnt think it wold do anything, and i am not someone who usually believes in that sort of alternative stuff. However i was so desperate for some relief, that id hav stood on my head in a pile of cow sh-t if someone had told me at the time that it might help my back.
So I brought it, went home, and stuck I think 4 or so of these little round plaster things with a wee magnet in the middle. I don't remember the instructions talking a boutique finding the trigger points as I do (just said to put em on the painful area) but that seemed to me the best way so I did.
I honestly didn't expect then to do anything and was sure I'd be telling myself off for wasting money on them. The next morning I woke please and wow! For the first time In weeks I could move without pain. My back was still sore, but the improvement thqt happened overnight was massive, 100% better. And till then it has just been dragging on with no real sign of improvement for about 3 weeks.
Within a couple of days I was almost back to normal.

Since the. I have tried magnets, just magnets that I had around the house or. Brought in shops. I have used them on my shoulder a number of times. My bursitis shoulder was treated four years ago by steroid injections which fixed it until about 18 months. Anyway for the last year, I have applied magnets every time it flares up and it has definately helped, for me I can feel almost immediately whether it's in the right place. And sometimes I will put on a magnet and not sure if I got the right trigger point, and it won't seem to help, and I'll have a poke around and realise it's not on the most tender trigger point, ie not my source trigger. And I'll move it a little up/down/left/right or whatever often only half a cm or so and then I will start to straight away notice relief.
For me it definately works, but only when I ha e them placed in exactly the right place. So I can't see how a bracelet would have any benefit (unless the problem was uour wrist, and even then it would have to be a close fitting bracelet that didn't move at all)

However my dad tried it on his knee and had no relief, and my sister tried on her back. I think that either they didn't take the time to position the magnets in the right place for as if it's even a few mm out it won't work for me. Or maybe magnet therapy works for some and is ineffective for others.

If you are going to try it, you REALLY need to take the time to find the right place to put it, not always in the exact same spot the pain is, but usually close by. Just press firmly with your fingers all around the Painful area, and try and find a spot that is obviously much more tender, then feel around that area and make sure you ha e the EXACT spot where it's most tender and where the pain feels 'deepest' for want of a better description. It can even be useful to mark that spot with an zpx so you still have it exactly right after you grab your magnet, and cut some tape to hold it on etc.
If you don't feel any relief within half an hour or so, leave he magnet where it is, press in top of where it is the. Press all around the nearby area, and see if you find another tender spot which you need to move the magnet to,
Sometimes I find several tender spots for one pro blew, at the moment I have 3 magnets taped around my shoulder/upper arm muscles. So if you find a few tender spots, stick a magnet on all.
I found any strong magnet works fine. Ie it should be strong enough that if you hold it over large nails or screws it can easily lift and hold them.
|

replied May 6th, 2015
Arrgh pls excuse the typos and nonsense words in my post above, predictive text/keyboard app hates me, and there doesn't seem to be any way I can edit that post. Hopefully you can get the gist of what I was actually typing before my device decided it knew better...
|

replied June 22nd, 2017
Magnetic therapy
I came across Beyond Biomag 3D app. Its getting good results
|