Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

My Bp Is Very High In the Morning. Is This Normal?

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
I am 65 years old female.

I am checking my bp every day and my bp is very high in the morning when I woke up.

Is it normal for people to have bp of almost 200 in the morning?

This morning my bp was 180 at 5:00 but hour later, went down to 135.

I think I am doing everything to lower my bp.

I keep eating apples, grapefruit, celery, bananas, garlic, and reducing my intake of salt.

I also taking one tea spoonful organic apple cider vinegar, hibiscus flower tablet.

I go swimming pool almost every day and do excercise for about 2 hours.

My problem is I also have shortness of breath and when I tread water, I start feeling like my air way is going to close up and tightning.

I am spending many hours doing research on high blood pressure but I still cannot find answer to my problem.

One thing is sure.

I don't want to take medication knowing harmful side effect plus if I start taking medication, I must keep taking for life.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper StarStar
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It sounds like you are doing everything in your power. If it continues to be that high though you will need to see a doctor for the sake of your life.
|

User Profile
replied July 31st, 2008
Everybody's BP is higher in the morning or at least people...
with hypertension.

Even before you wake up your body systems start waking up. I don't know the exact science of this without looking it up.

I did get it from a doctor and he also told me that more heart attacks occur at 10 a.m. in the US then at any other part of the day.
|

replied August 2nd, 2008
Your blood pressure should be at its lowest in the morning on upon waking up. It then increases if one drinks coffee by about 15-30 beats or more depending upon each persons circulation of blood. I don't know if you drink coffee, but that could be a reason if you do.

But I know of something that helps reduce hypertension/ high BP...take fish oil tablets, you can get them from anywhere. they help reduce BP...and you dont have to take them everyday but you should take it at least 3 times a week and take 2-4 tablets each time depending on the dosage. And this isn't medication, fish oil is actually healthy for you, it also even helps with joint problems too. Fish oil in other words, is basically a lubrication for the inside parts of the body.
|

replied August 6th, 2008
Disagree
Sorry to disagree with tufftitan2, but actually, your morning wake-up blood pressure is usually higher than the rest of the day (minus the exception of the influence of caffeine, which does spike up your blood pressure). This is because your body needs to get somewhat of a "jolt start" from total rest during the night when you are sleeping. (this could be one of the reasons why there are more heart attacks in the morning, but this I cannot state for sure, I don't have the medical information on this)

200 is not normal though, and is consider very high, your afternoon pressure is better but not completely optimal level (according to World Health Organization guidelines). If you have an especially high spike during the morning, it is considered a type of morning hypertension, and this can be alarming, as it is a predictor for heart disease. You should speak to your phsycian about this.

There is something called a DASH diet, the American Heart Association has something on their website you can download and print, you can even buy books abotu this now. This can help lower your BP. Keep monitoring your BP of course, and I would suggest to go see your family doctor and tell them about this. My family doctor did help me find out more, and recommended a Bios Diagnostics blood pressure monitor to help me out - it sounds like you are already monitoring your BP so this is good, you should keep doing that. Make sure you are doing your BP correctly in the morning, make sure you have gone to the washroom (yes, the need to urinate actually tenses up muscles and affect your BP).

Hope this helps,
|

replied September 9th, 2009
Blood Pressure
Blood Pressure of that level in the morning needs to be brought to a more even pattern which can be done,talk to your doctor about ways of evening out the morning spike,higher BP in the morning after waking up is normal,even a full bladder can have some effect, could I also say that please take a few minutes to relax before taking the BP or you can have what is known as white coat syndrome where you worry that it will be high to the point that it will be higher than it would be otherwise.
|