Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

Colposcopy

Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
Shocked I have two questions -
1. I had a colposcopy about two weeks ago, and after the examination was over and the doctor left the room, I got up to get dressed and began to feel dizzy. The room started spinning, I felt like I needed to throw up, and I was extremely hot. I sat down for a while, but I was still a little shaky. She took a tissue sample, and I wonder if that is the reason I felt that way.

2. I read that hpv takes 6 months to show symptoms. I took the colpo exam to check for hpv, but the last time I had sexual contact with someone was more than 6 months ago. If it is suspected that I have hpv, wouldn't the symptoms have shown already? And if not, what should I look for? Discharge, smell? Anything? Embarassed
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 23rd, 2004
Colpo
There are no signs or symptoms of hpv. 60 % or more of the public has this disease and never knows about it because doctors were unaware of the disease until recently. Testing for it is relativly recent. I have had hpv for a few years now. If you find out you do have it, you need to read up on the disease. Hpv can cause cervical cancer in woman depending on how your body reacts to the disease. And be very regular with doctors visits. I am stage 3 out of 4 for cervical cancer now and have to get a colposcopy every 3-6 months. Girls need to be very careful, this disease lays dormant in men and attacks us! I can no longer have children because I was not careful. As far as the test goes, just relax. That was your nerves getting to you. If you get that upset going in maybe you should think about having a close friend go with you to help keep you calm, and to drive you home so you don't get in an accident.
|

replied February 23rd, 2004
Reply to Colpo
So how did you find out that you had hpv? Did you find out in a test or by simptoms? I feel very paranoid lately, but then again my doctor said I have bacterial vaginosis. I keep thinking that I see things that nobody else sees. I examine myself every day to see if there's anything visible. I have a small, tiny bump in the corner of my mouth and i'm worried that it's showing up, but then again it could just be a small, tiny bump. Please let me know, when there are simptoms in the other 30% of people - what are they? Thanks.
|
Quick Reply