Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

What Is the Scientific Name For Aids

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Ok this sounds like a dumb question but I am doing a project for school, and need to kno what the scientific and common name is for aids if any of you can help me I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
amanda
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Dom
|

replied May 24th, 2004
Answer Better Late Than Never...
I just saw this posting, sorry amanda for the late response, the scientific name for 'aids' is:

acquired immune deficiency syndrome
|
Users who thank Dom for this post: Norah231 

replied July 29th, 2004
Experienced User
Where Did We Get Aids From?
Where did we get aids from?

Hiv/aids has been traced back to central africa.
The majority of aids cases are in the sub-sahara desert africa.
This is well known.
What is not so well known, is that the countries immediately north of these black african countries, have almost no aids cases.
They have so few cases of hiv/aids, that they don't even have significant statistics. They have round the numbers ub to get even 0.1 percent of adults.

What is the most significant factor. These countries encourage marriage and practice 100% male circumcision due to religous custom (muslim, jew). It is almost impossible for a circumcised male to infect a female through any any normal sexual act.

Encouraging infant and even adult circumcision should be our primary preventive method, and then condoms.

Why is this simple treatment which would eventually eliminate hiv/aids, unknown to the general public.

If women knew they were at much greater risk of being infected with aids by uncircumcised males, I think you would see them giving them preference, and then the men would be encouaged to follow through.

Does anyone know why this is not general knowledge.
|

replied October 3rd, 2009
Help!!!! what iz the scientififc name of aids
|

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Re: Where Did We Get Aids From?
paulv wrote:
Where did we get aids from?

Hiv/aids has been traced back to central africa.

The majority of aids cases are in the sub-sahara desert africa.
This is well known.
What is not so well known, is that the countries immediately north of these black african countries, have almost no aids cases.
They have so few cases of hiv/aids, that they don't even have significant statistics. They have round the numbers ub to get even 0.1 percent of adults.

What is the most significant factor. These countries encourage marriage and practice 100% male circumcision due to religous custom (muslim, jew). It is almost impossible for a circumcised male to infect a female through any any normal sexual act.

Encouraging infant and even adult circumcision should be our primary preventive method, and then condoms.

Why is this simple treatment which would eventually eliminate hiv/aids, unknown to the general public.

If women knew they were at much greater risk of being infected with aids by uncircumcised males, I think you would see them giving them preference, and then the men would be encouaged to follow through.

Does anyone know why this is not general knowledge.
It is general knowledge I believe..
|

replied November 18th, 2009
"A number of studies from Africa point to the fact that the regions of Africa most troubled with HIV infection tend to overlap with the regions where male circumcision is rare. However, this does not imply a causal link: If the same argument were applied to the industrialized world, one would note that the United States has a high circumcision rate, and also has the highest prevalence of HIV."

It is not common knowledge because it is somewhat of a fallacy. There is just one mayor study that supports what you are saying, made by Aaron J. Fink, and what he stated was that this way woman to man infection was minimized. So it does in fact reduce the risk of getting infected but it is not like you stated "It is almost impossible for a circumcised male to infect a female through any any normal sexual act. "
|

replied March 7th, 2011
AIDS HIV
AIDS is bad for you, dont eat it
|
Quick Reply