Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Is squamous papilloma cancerous?

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
User Profile
i have been looking at info online about squamous papilloma and found that 4 in every 1000 people get it. i wanted to know what the chances are of it being cancerous. the doc is sending it for a biopsy after it is removed but i am very anxious about it. he said it is a virus but not contagious. i thought viruses were contagious. im scared about the procedure but my biggest fear is that there will be cancer in it. is there any way for you to tell me what the chance is?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2007
Cancers Answer A2292
Squamous papilloma in the mouth is a benign tumor that originates from the squamous cells of the mucosa that cover the oral cavity. Squamous papilloma are also called warts. From the outside, the skin develops spikes (papillae) that look like fingers and that’s where the name "papilloma" comes from. Skin or mucosal papillomas are usually caused by the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are transmittable. Some types of HPV are known to cause dysplastic (precancerous) papillomas that can turn into cancers. Genital warts on the cervix are much more suspicious than oral warts. That’s why a hysto-pathological examination of surgically removed tumors is requested for examination and diagnosis.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.