Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Can mononucleosis disturb a pregnancy?

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
User Profile
I was exposed to someone with mono last Friday. Apparently she started feeling sick on Thursday and was just diagnosed on Wednesday (the week after). Should I be worried for my unborn child or my other two children who are 8 and 4? I realize theres nothing you can really do about it anyway, so I'm not sure, should I see a Doc or not?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2007
Mononucleosis Answer A2289
Infective mononucleosis (mono) is caused by the Epstein–Barr virus (EBV). EBV is transmitted through direct contact with an infected person (kissing, using the same drinking glass). If you’ve been infected with the virus in the past you would not get infected again because you would have developed a life-long immunity against the virus. Once infected with EBV, your body cannot contract the virus again. An EBV-infection, or mononucleosis, is not considered a high risk for damaging a fetus. Some other viruses such as rubella, chickenpox, influenza, cytomegalovirus, herpes simplex, etc. are considered higher risk infections and can create fetal damage during pregnancy. There is nothing you can do if you were infected during contact. You can see a doctor if you start feeling the symptoms of mono: fever, sore throat, fatigue, abdominal pain, etc.
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mononucleosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.