Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Pleurisy Question

Must Read
Pleurisy can be a painful irritation of the tissue that surrounds the lungs. Basic info on types of pleurisy, anatomy of the lungs, and medical definitions here...
Learn which medical conditions can cause pleurisy and other pleura disorders here. Plus, check out if you are at risk of pleurisy in the risk factors section....
Pleurisy can manifest as a sharp stabbing chest pain when you inhale, cough or sneeze. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of pleura disorders here....
I am sorry to bother you all again as, i'm not even sure what my problem is.....

I was wondering if pleurisy pain can come and go. I am also wondering if it is always severe pain. One of the questions I was asked at the doctor's was if I had pain when I took deep breaths. I said no. I have had pain on my right side. I didn't mention it because it was minor and I didn't want to mention every ache and pain and seem like a hypochondriac(sp?). I also thought it may be related to my "fatty liver". After looking up info on fatty liver, I found that pain is 'not usual'. I do notice it more when I take deep breaths. It is not something I feel every day and not severe and stabing.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 6th, 2004
Hi karen
i have chest pain almost every day. My lupus began with a severe case of pleurisy that never really went away. It has cleared up over the years,but shows up again periodically. I tried to return to work full time after not working for a long time. In that time I did fairly well. But after a few months, my chest pain got very severe. Now it is with me everyday. I have added a pulmonary doctor to my arm's length list who says it is asthma. I take three meds twice a day now as well as a steroid inhaler just to be able to breathe. And it still gets worse every few months.
Does anyone else have lung problems like this?
Sunny
|

replied March 7th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
Hmmm, not exactly like this, but I do have chest pains (lung, not heart) and breathing issues a lot. I get deep lung pain...Then I cough and it sounds like I could blow the house down! Lol!

I was given an inhaler for a while. Then things got worse...And I ended up on a solid dose of prednisone for two years and didn't seem to need the inhaler anymore. I have just come off the steroids (woo!) and the breathing thingie is back! I plan on talking to my rheumy and gp soon (once settled). I figure they will hand me another inhaler.

Hugs,
ladybrannon
|

replied March 7th, 2004
Experienced User
Breathing Difficulties
I just started advair 250mg. You inhale it, but it is not an inhaler. It is a powder. I feel like it is helping with that heavy chest, coughing thing. I've spoken to a few other people who have taken it, and they say it has helped them. A side note from one of the experienced users, rinse, gargle and/or brush afterward or it can cause thrush, which I don't know about the rest of you, but i've had it a few times without any help.

I also have asthma, though not the serious life threatening kind.

Mia
|

replied April 1st, 2004
Pleurisy
My husband was exrayed and was told he had pleurisy and they gave him pain medication. He says its not stopping his pain. He also has emphasema what should have been done for him. He says they should have given him an atibiotic to clear up the problem. I don't know his age is 76. Please advise Question
|

replied June 12th, 2009
Pleurasy pain
I find that Lyrica and lasix helps my pleurasy pain from having Lupus since 1993. I normally take Ultram for my daily pain, but find it doesn't touch the pleurasy pain, but the Lyrica and lasix does the trick.
|

replied July 5th, 2009
Pleurisy
To KARENMOMOF3: It has been a while since your original enquiry. Have you found a solution? I hope you got a second opinion for your symptoms. You have probably discovered that "YES" pleurisy can come and go. I found out (today) that several women in my family get "this" on occasion. I am 41 and never knew this. Apparently the sharp/stabbing like pain I have been getting on and off since high school is this "Pleurisy". All I ever had to do (before) was "raise my arm over my head" for 5 minutes. The pain would ease and I then could breathe again. Sometimes, it would scare me because I could not breathe in (at all)for a full minute. Most of the other times, I could at least breathe in "short" fast breaths until it stopped. Never (before this week) has it lasted for more than 20 minutes. This time it is going on 5 days. Although it is less scary because I can breathe, it still hurts like the dickens and all the time. Can't sleep well. Hope you found a cure and got a second opinion. I believe the antibiotics is the solution.
|

replied December 5th, 2009
I saw my DR. and was told that I had pleurisy...they took an x-ray was told I had pneumonia, was given an antibiotic...took another x-ray a month later, the pneumonia is gone but the pleurisy remains...I have no pain at all...does anyone know how long this grinding will last?
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
Pleurisy, will it ever go away? How long will it last? I am not sure that it will go away that easily.

I am reminded of a woman whose life was shortened after numerous doc visitations. Unsuccessful with all the drugs, she was hospitalized, and in the end...it wasn't a happy one.

As far as I know, we all need to stay away from anti-depressant or anti-epileptic drugs because these are not truly designed for FMS or SLE. And be careful that you are not part of the est. 2.2 million who get hospitalized for adverse reaction to prescribed drugs or the 800,000/yr for use of conventional medicine.

If you were to ask me, if there's another option I'd say, YES. But then again, some of us may have to stay with drugs for life.
|

replied August 21st, 2010
Reply to 'can pleurisy come and go'
Oh my gosh I have had what my lung doc calls asthma also but it's not like it at all, I am trying 2 find a good doc that will help me find out if I have lupus or not, so far my only diagnosis has been fibromyalgia. But I was in a housefire 7 years ago n suffered from 40 % carbon monoxide poisoning, my lungs were cleaned out but I still cough a lot and for the past couple of years about twice a year I get what docs have just said was chronic bronchitis, but the coughing gets so bad that it's hard to breath and sometimes I collapse bc I can't catch my breath, everytime this happens my lung doc tries two sets of a zpac, zmac, prednisone, and tussinex/hydrocodone cough syrup, and nothing works it just has to ease off n takes a couple of months, sometimes there's an infection, but I never heard of pleurisy until a couple of weeks ago and this stuff comes and goes for me, so it's nice 2 know others have gone through this, wonder why my lung doc has never told me of pleurisy, and just calls it asthsma, I used affair for awhile combined with 24 hr allegra, but a short acting inhaler nor the other two have ever prevented it from occuring, and it's also frustrating 2 hear how horrible my lungs sound when it comes on, docs will take a listen and cannot believe it's not pneumonia whenever I have a flare up, it comes and goes, but I'm glad I at least now know what pleurisy is and Sunny I have the same problem with my lung doctor, God bless u all n hope my input helps!
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov