Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Peeling White Tongue (Page 1)

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
5 days ago, my tongue felt really funny but I didn't really pay it any attention. Later on that night I rubbed my teeth on my tongue and my tongue felt as though it was peeling. So I looked in the mirror and I saw that my tongue had a white coating in the middle of it. I've been looking on the internet about it,but the spot didn't stay there I easily peeled it off with no problem, it didn't hurt, my tongue itsn't red. Or burning or anything. It didn't burn or anything before hand, and it hasn't came back. I'm wondering if it had to do with the fact that I had been eating sunflower seeds all day or..Whatever it is.I'm really curious about it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bunneyboo22
|

replied January 4th, 2009
same problem...help!
i'm a 16 year old female and the other day i noticed my tongue felt strange. I went to sleep just fine, but when I awoke the next morning my tongue felt like a had bread caked on it. So i scrapped it off of my tongue and it was white bready looking. I really need help. I just had surgery five days ago and I am on hydrocodone 7.5 I dont know if it has anything to do with it but something isnt right.
|

replied March 26th, 2009
peeling tongue
my tongue peeled after taking hydrocodone too. I also lost my sense of taste. it has been three weeks and my taste still has not come back 100%. at first i could only taste sweet, i can now taste a little savory, but after a few seconds all food tastes bitter. the doctor had no explanation for me whatsoever.
|

replied April 8th, 2009
Same
I ate like 6 packets of sunflower seeds in a day, and my tongue ended up like that. I peeled it off with no problem too. First time this has happened with sunflower seeds though
|

replied June 8th, 2009
I am eighteen, female, and off and on for the last year my tongue peels. Not little patches, either. Full thick layers. I didn't burn my toungue any of the times, have not changed my mouthwash before or after any of the incidents. The peeling usually lasts for a week or two, then goes away. It never hurts, but a peeling tongue has the worst texture ever. No other changes that I can tell. Any suggestions on what this might be?
|

replied October 16th, 2009
skin on my tongue falling off
I'm 28 F and I think this same thing is happening to me. I have been reading in other places online that it often happens if you eat too much sour foods...your tongue gets a kind of burn. I recently have been eating a lot of vinegar and chips, which I think must have been the cause. But, does anybody know the official diagnosis/clinical name for this symptom??
|

replied July 27th, 2011
Tongue Peeling
my tongue does this whenever i eat salt and vinegar chips as well, i think it the extreme slaty-ness that shrivels the outer layer of skin and causes it to peel.
|

replied October 22nd, 2009
tongue peeling
i am 11 and this morning for school i was on the computer on faacebook and then white stuff was on my tongue i looked in the mirror and pulled it off the white thing ihad little tiny itsy bitsy holes in it when i studied it then i started looking for clues and hypothesis and i fonud some
1. your probably ate sometihing sweet or sour and you babrly brush your teeth
2.your tongue is starting to get Rinotheseis which means your toungue gets wrinkly and gets creases and all that stuff
Luv,Keke
|
Users who thank bunneyboo22 for this post: 11turkey22 

replied November 20th, 2009
13,male, Peeling tongue and gums?
PEELING TONGUE!!!! HELP@
I am 13, male and i had been feeling very strange in the mouth for a couple of days. i noticed the skin peeling off the sides of my mouth and the inside of my lips. till i had the feeling i had lots of mushy food in my mouth then i looked at my tongue in the mirror and it was white and it was peeling i was peeling multiple layers of it off? i don't understand whats happening? please send me a re post i am really desperate to find out what is going on. i'm missing the taste of food!!
|

replied March 5th, 2012
same thing
im 13 and female same problem sides of moutn peeling and my tounge is peeling like spongey holeie stuff anyone know what it is?
|

replied November 30th, 2009
Reply to mspig: same conditions
Reply to mspig:
I think I'm having the same issue as the one you described. I'm 15 but over the past few days I've eaten around 35-50 of those warheads candies which are really, really sour. I'm sure it's nothing, but I'd like to know what's really going on as well.
|

replied November 30th, 2009
Tongue Peeling
I have the same thing and i indeed ate almost a full cup of sunflower seeds last night.
|

replied December 1st, 2009
Peeling tongue
My tongue peels every like month or 2 months i have no Idea why, and its like the bread stuff, and Iam getting tired of it, What does this mean?????
|

replied December 10th, 2009
salt and vinegar chips!!
I LOVE salt and vinegar chips. But I tend to eat almost half of a pringles size can per sitting. The day after my tongue starts peeling big time; it's very similar to the way your skin peels after a sunburn but it's mushy. Depending on what it is you've eaten or what antibiotics you may be taking, the pH of the cells on your tongue get messed up and it's simply shedding the damaged layer. Gross.
|

replied January 21st, 2010
Mine is doing the same thing but it hurts its raw and cracked and peelyish it like hurts to peel/pull it off and when i do it looks raw and its red.. oh and i have strep could that affect it either way I WANT IT GONE NOW!!!!!!!! >Neutral
|

replied February 10th, 2010
peeling tongue
My "peeling tongue" symptoms does not match any of yours boys and girls, but Taylor_Marie's...! donno what is it, never had it, but it hurts, its peeling patchy and i DONT LIKE IT!!! please, whats wrong with my tongue..? =P
Boko
|

replied April 3rd, 2011
You and Taylor Marie's strep migrated to your tongues. No big, just keep taking your meds. I'm aware these posts are wicked old, but. Never hurts to know.
Either strep migration or thrush from an otherwise occupied immune system. Also not a big deal. Good luck.
|

replied February 25th, 2010
Tongue peeling
Ive had the same issue for over a year now,and it happens almost everymorning when I wake up I will find it. Its been bothering me so much to the point where I had a nightmere about it. Im considering seeing the doctor over this, since no one else seems to have this problem daily. il post what the doctor says about it.
|

replied March 22nd, 2010
Tongue is peeling off white outer layer of skin
A white coated tongue is the primary sign of an infection called thrush which is caused by a yeast infection: candidiasis. For those who noted that their tongues reminded them of baking bread, I would suspect you have this infection. It's easy to figure out, if you remember that yeast is used to make bread.

But please be calm and don't worry! Do this instead: Stop stressing, and make an appointment to see a health care provider. You will be given a treatment plan and/or medication. Also, it's very important to brush your teeth, tongue (from back to front) and inner cheeks with a soft bristled toothbrush (buy a new one to avoid reinfection) with a mild tasting toothpaste each night, thoroughly, before bed. Also, avoid sour candies, simple carbs such as soda, candy or junk food, acidic foods, and acidic (sweetly sour) beverages.

The combination of vinegar on potato chips is a double assault on the tongue, inner cheeks, and teeth because you are eating starch which leads to growth of cavities (if you don't brush soon after eating), plus vinegar, which is highly acidic and causes a temporary chemical burn, similar to a chemical facial skin peel.

The human mouth, including the lips, inner cheeks, and tongue, is very vascular. This means that it has an abundant blood supply. So, because blood carries oxygen through the body via the circulatory system, your inner cheeks for example, if bitten accidentally (crunch! - ouch!) will heal quickly.

To keep your mouth from becoming sore and sensitive, avoid highly acidic foods, such as citrus juice, oranges, lemons, sour patch kids(!), extra hot beverages, and highly spiced meals, for example. Rinse your mouth with cool clean water after coming into contact with anything that may put you at risk for injuring your delicate mouth tissue (oral mucosa), whenever possible.

Good luck, and always remember to take good care of your health. Prevention is much easier than treatment.

Jolie Kanter, Ph.D.
Behavioral Health Consultant
|

replied April 3rd, 2011
I'm an eighteen year old female and have had a sporadically peeling tongue for going on three years now. Every few months my tongue will completely and painlessly shed a spongy, porous layer of skin for no discernible reason, including exernal stimuli such as sour or spicy foods, excessively salty foods, hot foods or liquids, physically rough foods, etc, or even in response to brushing or not brushing my teeth or tongue. I'm hesitant to call it thrush since I took prescription yeast infection medication orally last year and the problem did not go away. It's irritating but by no means debilitating, and my worry is more that it's symptomatic of a larger problem than that it's annoying or unattractive or mildly gross.
|

replied April 24th, 2010
Hi. Yea I have the same problem. This usually happens when I eat too much sour candies and such. Its so annoying! When I peel some of the layer off I can taste foods better though. I try not to worry too much and resist sour or irattating foods to the tongue. :/
|

replied April 26th, 2010
One day i was putting warheads in my nose and ears and I got this tongue disease but in my ears and nose too!
|

replied May 2nd, 2010
Too much salt & vinegar (S&V Goldfish crackers) made my tongue completely slough off two days later. The detached/decaying skin seemed really thick and the skin was still attached in parts (like a sunburn) at first. By day 4 after eating the product, after 2 days of shedding, I seemed to be all done peeling and the sensitivity of my "new" tongue has faded. Pretty sure it affected my esophagus too as I experienced quite a sore throat concurrently with the tongue shedding.

I''m convinced the pain and raw exposure also left me susceptible to germs as I caught a chest cold during all this to boot. Glad others know of this strange phenomenon... it''s painful but mostly disturbing!
|

replied July 20th, 2010
peeling tongue! ugh!
i'm 19, female and today my tongue peeled too! i was eating these sour mints all day so most likely its from that. ugh, its annoying.
|