Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Best Way to Sleep?

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
When I wake up in the morning my lower back absolutely kills. Once I get up and start moving around the pain usually subsides and I don't really notice it during the day. I usually sleep on my side. I was wondering it my lower back pain could be caused by this and what the best sleeping position is for someone experiencing lower back pain. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mbomb
|

replied February 14th, 2007
Re: Best Way to Sleep?
If you’re waking up every morning and your lower back "kills", then , unless you need a new matress, you should change your sleep position asap. When you lay flat on your back, your spine curves into an unnatural position which puts a strain on your muscles and/or joints.

Try lying in the fetal position on your side with your knees bent and a pillow tucked between your legs to take the stress off your lower back.

If you have a tendency to lie on your back, place a nice, fluffy pillow under your knees to alleviate the pressure on nerves in your back.
You should also make sure there is support for your neck.

The position you want to avoid is sleeping on your stomach since it causes an unnatural arch in your lower back snd thus creating pressure on your nerves and joints.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
mike

lilash wrote:
when I wake up in the morning my lower back absolutely kills. Once I get up and start moving around the pain usually subsides and I don't really notice it during the day. I usually sleep on my side. I was wondering it my lower back pain could be caused by this and what the best sleeping position is for someone experiencing lower back pain. Thank you.
|

replied May 3rd, 2007
Back Pain Upon Wakening
yes, try sleeping on your side with a pillow between your legs, or if you sleep on your back put a pillow under your knees and your feet when you sleep to elevate them.
|

replied May 5th, 2007
Experienced User
A chiropractor suggests we use only one pillow when sleeping.
more than that can also add to back pain.
|