Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Wisdom Teeth

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I have to have my wisdom teeth out in about a month, and I am petrified!!! I can't even tell you how afraid I am. I've never had any kind of surgery and i've never been "put under". I don't have a problem with dentist, i've had tons of cavities filled, but I am so scared to go through with this. All four of my wisdom teeth are impacted to they have to be surgically removed. I found a really good oral surgeon, that alot of people I know went to, and they all had good experiences. When the dentist first told me that they had to be extracted, I cried, i'm not joking. I really am that scared. And it's not like I can just not have it done, because I had braces when I was younger and my teeth are moving now. My parents are making me have this done, because they said they didn't pay thousands of dollars for me to have straight teeth, that aren't straight anymore!!! They tell me it really isn't that bad, but I find that hard to believe!!!!! Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 7th, 2004
Experienced User
If I got through having my wisdom teeth removed just fine - then you will have absolutely no problem. For starters, I have a heart condition so the dentist couldn't put me to sleep so I was awake the whole time. All four of my teeth were impacted and one had completely turned around backwards. I think it took about 2 hours to have them out and then I was stitched up and sent home. The pain wasn't really all that bad. They give you pain medication so really the most annoying thing is the swelling and not being able to eat all the yummy food that everyone else is eating. After a couple of days most of the pain is gone and at the end of the week you feel sooo much better. I had my tonsils out about 9 months ago and believe me - having your wisdom teeth out is nothing compared to that.

Just remember what it was like to lose a tooth when you were younger. It is basically like that except it is four at one time and it involves stitches. Other than that it is exactly the same. The site where the tooth came out is a little sore for a few days and sensitive to hot and cold but it heals quickly and you are back to normal in a very short amount of time. Its normal to be nervous but honestly it isn't anywhere near as bad as you imagine it is.

It'll be ok - promise!!

Sarah
|

replied February 8th, 2004
Experienced User
Sarah
Oh no, I have a heart condition too!!!! I have a heart murmer, and I also have a mitro- valve- prolapse!!! I have to take 4 amoxicillan before I go to the dentist, I was kinda wondering what was gonna happen when I have this done. I have my preliminary appt. This friday. I wonder if they aren't gonna be able to put me under? So what did they do? Did they give you alot of novicaine?
Janel
|

replied February 9th, 2004
Experienced User
I have mitral valve prolapse too and the dentist said that that was why I couldn't be put to sleep. I too have to take antibiotics before I go to the dentist. If you are going to an oral surgeon he may be able to put you to sleep. Regular dentists can't I don't think. I would have had to go into the hospital if I was going to be put to sleep and I didn't want to do that. Instead they just pretty much numb your entire mouth so you don't feel anything. All you feel is the pressure and the movement - but no pain. Its not a fun thing to go through but it really isn't all that bad.
|

replied February 9th, 2004
Experienced User
Hi!
Im only 19 and I had my wisdom teeth (2)cut and (2)pulled about 1 yr. Ago.And I did great.They gave me some really good pain med(cant remember what its called)and I only had to take one.Just dont eat or drink anything before you go b/c it will make you really sick.I hope you do well and good luck!
|

replied February 11th, 2004
I dont know anything about braces or wisdom teeth..Or your situation but my personal opinion..Dont pull them..Please listen to my advice..If they are not hurting u and I mean extreme pain to where there is no other choice.. Then dont pull them. Please keep all your teeth in tact. You need them for lots of reasons besides eating and chewing.
You still have time. You said ur appointment is this friday. Go to another dentist that can help you with your shifting teeth and dont stop searching for one that can help the problem by not pulling the teeth but by maybe wearing a retainer at night or something like that.
Tell your parents that you do not want to do this...Speak up...It will be the best decision you can make. You cant always trust dentist. Trust yourself.

One last important thing..If you have an honest dentist, they will never ever pull a tooth..They would rather save it, thats how you know u can trust a dentist.
|

replied February 11th, 2004
Experienced User
Christina - I don't think that is very helpful advice you are giving. You think an honest dentist would never pull a tooth? Of course a dentist would love to save a tooth, its much more expensive to save a tooth instead of pulling it.

You obviously have never had impacted wisdom teeth. An impacted wisdom tooth comes in on its side instead of standing straight up. It pushes against the nearest tooth (a molar) right at root level. It continues to try to break the surface but because it is in the wrong position all that pressure is forced upon the molar instead of straight up. That molar then in turn pushes against the tooth next to it, which pushes against the tooth next to it and so on and so forth. Unless the wisdom tooth is removed it will continue to put pressure on the neighboring teeth, forcing them to move and become crooked. All this pressure causes pain. Most of the time it is just an annoying constant dull pain. However occasionally it can be very sharp from time to time. The only way to stop all this is to take the wisdom tooth out.

If a dentist suggests having your wisdom teeth out, he or she is doing so in your best interests.
|

replied February 12th, 2004
Hi, you're right I dont know about impacted wisdom teeth but I just know that if there was someone else out there that could do something w/o pulling it, that would be great..Like I said, it was my personal opinion. I wanted her to save her teeth, that was it.. Honestly. It is not more expensive to save teeth than to pull it..When you pull a tooth..It can also shift your teeth, you need to replace the tooth and sometimes do a bridge, thats a few grand right there..And yes root canals are expensive but its much more expensive to replace a tooth and more work sometimes.
Thanks and sorry to upset anyone.
I wont be here anymore..I am taking a break from all this. Have a great day Smile
|

replied February 18th, 2004
Experienced User
Hey Guys
I went for my preliminary appointment last friday, I am having all four of my wisdom teeth extracted because they are all impacted. And I think it's for the best. Like florida girl said, I always have this annoying dull pain, or pains in my jaw, and my teeth are just going to keep shifting unless I remove them. And because I have the heart conditions I have to take 4 amoxicillan pills 1 hour before my surgery. I am having them out during my spring break from college, i'm having it done the first day so I can enjoy the rest of my vacation. I am still nervous about it, but I know that i'll be fine, people have this done everyday, and my surgeon is really nice and explained everything to me. Wish me luck on monday, march 22, at 9:00am. I'll keep you posted!!!!

P.S thankyou for all of your advice!!!!!
|

replied March 28th, 2004
Experienced User
I survived!!! I did fine, but omg, I was soooo nervous. They gave me four little pills before they knocked me out, and they messed me up, it was kinda funny. Needless to say, I don't remember a thing!!!! Anyway the whole extraction went fine, and everything went ok. I am still a little sore. I know that you guys said I would be fine, and I was, but until I experienced it myself, I was still going to be really nervous about it.
|

replied March 28th, 2004
Experienced User
Yea!!
I'm glad it went well for you Smile now its over with and you never have to go through it again Smile
|

replied June 22nd, 2005
I'm 13 and i'm getting 6 teeth removed in a couple of days. Two of them are baby teeth blocking an impacted canine, and the other four are my wisdom teeth. I'm in trouble because I have a fear of feeling "out of it" in anyway, (lightheaded, drugged, even the strong sleepy feeling you get from staying up for a day or two). I can't even have the laughing gas, it freaks me out more. So i'm mostly scared of the happypills they give you to take before you get there. Will they overcome my fear of the happypills themselves? (heh, I have no idea what they're really called, it's what my sister and I call them) as far as i'm concerned, after they get the iv in me, the surgery is over.

I'm just so glad to be getting this over with so early. The best part is that the wisdom teeth havn't even developed roots yet, so they'll come out easier. I'm just trying really hard not to think about having sharp objects in my mouth and having them cut into my gums. >_<;;;
|

replied June 25th, 2005
Wow, that was no problem at all! I took one of the happypills the night before to get used to it, and once it hit, I really enjoyed the feeling. So when I took the other one in the morning, I wasn't scared going in and sitting down at the chair at all. I decided to get laughing gas as they were preparing me and putting the iv in, so I don't even remember getting the needle in my arm. I really recomend the laughing gas.

It's the second day and i've been having a really pleasant recovery. The liquid diet doesn't bother me at all, I love drinkable yougurt and pudding ^_^. The pain pills havn't been having too much of an effect for me, but it's a very dull pain anyway so I don't mind. Really, the worst part of it all is that I can't open my mouth very far or brush my teeth.
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2005
Experienced User
Ya I will have to get my wisdom teeth pulled soon. But as the 2nd post said if its not as bad as getting tonsils pulled then I should be alright. Because I got those !**@! pulled a while ago and ya that hurt really bad haha. But anyway right in my left up corner in my teeth. It hurts because a wisdom tooth is growing in blah :(
|

replied February 2nd, 2006
Wisdom Teeth!
I tell you...Whomever said that having your wisdom tooth extracted was easy(they lie)... Just 2 days ago I had my second wisdom tooth pulled due to a cavity forming within it...The first time I had it done was at the age of 17, I believe that the younger you have them removed for whatever reason would suit you best. This particular wisdom tooth that I just had removed had 8 roots surrounding it making it even more difficult to extract, make sure that you do your research on your dentist also because I had to have a second more experienced dentist come in to finalize the operation, 6 to 10 shots of anesthesia, and 3 different types of utensils to remove it. I am in my third day of recovery and it has gotten a lil better put it still hurts soo bad...Yet I do believe that they(wisdom teeth) are better out then in...So when its time for you be prepared and educated and good luck to you...P.S it really is'nt all that bad(lol)
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov