Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Post Hysterectomy Complications

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
User Profile
I had pelvic and abdominal pain for about 4 months before they finally found a large ovarian tumor (by CT scan), which had to removed surgically on December 7th. It thankfully was benign, but it was the size of a melon and weighed 2 pounds. They had to do a complete hysterectomy due the tumor being attached to just about anything you could imagine.

The tumor had grown up over the top of the uterus and was pressing down on everything, which explained the severe bladder pain I was having, and also the bowel problems. I learned after surgery that it was also attached to the colon and anus. I had a 2nd surgeon who dealt with that part of it.

I am still having awful pain when I urinate, but an infection has been ruled out. I also have bouts of severe diarrhea where I can hardly make it to the bathroom, and sometimes haven't. The bladder pain keeps me awake throughout the night, and sitting for a prolonged period of time is just awful with the pain and pressure.

My doctor doesn't doubt me when I discuss this with him, and he has not released me yet for work. My problem is that the disbablity group at AT&T says I should be recovered by now from a hysterectomy and should be back at work. The battle is still ongoing.

I have been on line trying to find out if anyone else has had these issues, but I haven't found any useful information, so I decided to ask my questions and get another opinion. I can't believe I could be imagining these problems. I am absolutely miserable. Am I alone in having these issues, or is it something that can happen?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2007
Hysterectomy Answer A2277
You can inform the disability group at AT&T that you've had a hysterectomy with a tumor removal (tumoroectomy), ovaries & Fallopian tube removal (adnexectomy) and uterus removal (hysterectomy). In sum, most or your inner genital organs were removed. With severe diarrhea and pain during urination you probably can’t work. You'll have to exclude possible intestinal infection as a reason for the diarrhea. You need to request microbiological examinations of the feces. You can consult a urologist about the gallbladder problem and an infectologist about the diarrhea.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hysterectomy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.