Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Weird Smell...

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Ok, I have this smell "down there" and I wash everyday and I dont understand why its still there! Ive been to the doctor but they didnt say anything was wrong...I have sex quite a bit I dont know if thats why but I wouldnt think so... Please give some answers or suggestions on what I should do...And plz dont metion douching....I dont even want to try it... Thanks...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Women are supposed to have a smell. Having no smell at all would be a sign of an unhealthy vagina. However, if you notice that your smell gets stronger than usual or if you see any strange discharge or anything like that, then it could be the sign of an infection.

Many sites say that your vagina should have a smell, but that it should not be a bad smell. I hate how they word that, however. What is or is not a "bad" smell is an opinion. Some people really hate the smell of a clean and healthy vagina, while other people love it. So I usually steer clear of using the phrase "bad smell."

this site is interesting:
"what is the best way to clean my vagina?

Most doctors say that it is best to let your vagina clean itself. The vagina cleans itself naturally by producing mucous. Women do not need to douche to wash away blood, semen, or vaginal discharge. The vagina gets rid of it alone. Also, it is important to note that even healthy, clean vaginas may have a mild odor.

Regular washing with warm water and mild soap during baths and showers will keep the outside of the vagina clean and healthy. Doctors suggest women avoid scented tampons, pad, powders and sprays. These products may increase a woman's chances of getting vaginal infections.

My vagina has a terrible odor, can douching help?

No. Douching will only cover up the smell. It will not make it go away. If your vagina has a bad odor, you should call your doctor right away. It could be a sign of a bacterial infection, urinary tract infection, std or a more serious problem."
http://www.4woman.Gov/faq/douching.Htm

also, sex can actually make a difference. Semen and the bacteria in vaginas can combine to make a slightly stronger smell. Then that's often combined with sweat. So it's not unusual to find that your smell is stronger after sex. Chances are you're fine if you have always smelled this way, and you don't itch, or have funny looking discharge or anything like that. No harm in talking to your ob-gyn about it again the next time you go in, however.
|

replied March 28th, 2014
Ortho Evra made me stink.
I realize this question was posted over 6 years ago, but for future googlers who stumble upon it, I have found ortho evra to make me really stinky. Like everywhere. I was on it for a few months and even showering twice a day didn't keep the smells away. My vagina smelled, my armpits smelled,my butt smelled, I was just a big smelled mess. It was awful. I didn't know what was causing it. I started washing with antibacterial hand soap in the shower and that helped a little, but not enough. I thought if might be hormones from having my son, but then I realized I was putting a lot of hormones into my body with the ortho evra patch. I stopped using it and now I smell like a human being again instead of a swamp monster from hell. Just saying.
|
Quick Reply