Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Drinking Alcohol After Kidney Transplant (Page 1)

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
Hi every one

i had a kidney transplant 7 months ago, and since then I had never drink any kind of alcoholic even the beer>
i want to know if I drink beer once a month with my friends is that going to effect my new kidney?

Note: my last lab result were within the normal levels,,
thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kkzz
|

replied April 10th, 2009
Drinking
It isn't a good idea. You probably won't get sick after one beer a month for a few months, but eventually you will die.

My dad had a perfect transplant; my uncle gave him the kidney. It was fine drinking for a few years, but after 6 years his kidney rejected and he died of Malnutrition and TTP. That kidney should have lasted much longer.

I'd give my life to see him again; I would die for just 5 minutes with him. I miss him terribly. Just when we thought he was gonna be okay, he had a couple beers and died.

I'm not saying it will happpen to you. But if it's ONE BEER A MONTH anyway, WHY RISK YOUR HEALTH, YOUR LIFE?

Please think about it. Is the buzz worth chopping your kidney's life expectancy and your lifes expectancy in half?

God bless you.

Love,
A Girl Missing Her Daddy
|
Users who thank TheLifeOfRiley for this post: IgAN 

replied June 3rd, 2009
Making it regular will defenitely affect your health.I also underwent transplantation 4 years back. After 3rd year I started drinking, in a very controlled manner. Once in 4 or 5 months. Dont make it a habit...Do enjoy you life, but remember the person who had donated the Kidney...
|

replied June 6th, 2009
Tranplant patients are on a variety of different medications to among other things prevent rejection. Some of these medications may produce adverse effects when combined with alcohol. This is a question best answered by your physicans.
|

replied June 10th, 2009
I had my transplant 4 and half years ago, I started to drink diet beer after three years(occasionally). But I don't recommend this. Because I had swollen angles once I had beer. then stopped this. PLEASE DON'T DO IT.
|

replied September 26th, 2009

iam 39 yrs old, had kidney tranplant in 1994, ie.15 yrs back.. i doo take alcohol, occassionally, once a month or so,
|

replied October 17th, 2009
Drinking Alcohol Post Kidney / Renal Transplant
First, Everyone is different. You know your body the best. If you feel that enjoying 1 or 2 beers a month while out to dinner with friends or family, and your blood tests continue to look normal then it stands to reason it's not affecting you negatively. However, if your levels change after a night out then you know it's interacting with the absorption rate of the anti-rejection medication and you need to re-evaluate what your doing. My first kidney transplant was donated by my father. I was 13 years old and got a full 18 years out of the kidney. (very good) I was on an assortment of anti-rejection medications and when I turned 21 I did start to drink. I also did the (college years of drinking here and there). My blood levels remained normal even with the drinking. I just received my second transplant about a month ago and am dong ok. The doctors will tell you no alcohol and I understand where they're coming from. However, remember that alcohol is processed through the liver and the fluid is pulled out through the kidneys. So, by design your working the liver not the kidneys. Just keep an eye on your blood levels and be honest with your Nephrologist. If you tell him you have a beer here and there and your levels have remained the same I think he/she wont have an issue. Good Luck!
|

replied December 10th, 2009
my girlfriend has had a kidney transplant 20 months ago. she is perfect now everything is normal i would like to know the details on drinking alchol as she is only 18 years old she drinks with her friends but drinks a lot like vodka shots of sprits and beer everything she can drink. i dont like this as i think its very bad for her could tell me what it will be doing to her
|

replied February 6th, 2010
what can you drink beside alcohol that will give you a buzz
|

replied August 6th, 2010
It will NOT kill you to have a beer once a month. The first post above was a very misinformed post.

I think a beer would be a okay but as others have mentioned, mention it to your doctor (they will not get angry if you have one drink, you are human) and definitely reassess it should you have irregular blood test results.
|

replied December 10th, 2010
Alcohol and kidney transplants
I have a friend who had a kidney transplant 2 1/2 years ago. She drinks wine weekly. I was transplanted with a new kidney 4 months ago. If I drink any kind of alcohol or coffee, tea it makes my stomach hurt. My transplant team said alcohol was ok, but not for me as of now. I am so thankful for kidney I would never do anything to risk it. I had a 6 of 6 match from a non-living donor. I hope it lasts the rest of my life. 54 and living life with thankful heart.
|

replied June 28th, 2011
To whoever is may concern im 27 and i had a kidney transplant 2 month ago from a leaving donor i wasent much of a drinker before my transplant but since than i have been craving alcohol ,so i started having a drink here and there and i was always felling fine i noticed on the 1st month that if i drank beer my new kidney would hurt but it got better on the second month ,i do drink at least 2 beers daily and my labs have been normal .I would not recommend anyone to drink them self to death but a beer here and there it shore wont kill you because as bad as alcohol is it got his good sides .
|

replied July 16th, 2011
hi i had my kidney 26 years ago!! I drink every day, 5 or 6 pints. bloods always normal. i enjoy a beer, as you might have guessed. my kidney was from an 11 year old boy, would he have been like me? seems like he wouldhave been. would like to know if there is anyone else like me. i think alcohol has kept my gift of life going. cheers
|

replied December 2nd, 2011
I have had a transplant too and I drink fairly regular illy. Alcohol doesn't damage the kidney as such, unless u get dehydrated. It can increase the concentration of the anti rejection medication and excessive alcohol can increase blood pressure which inturn can harm your kidney. It's basically about not going crazy. The point of having a transplant is to lead a normal life as possible, so To say a few beers will harm you is frankly inaccurate if your function is ok. My doctors have all said to me it's ok to have a drink. Kidneys can fail for many reasons not just by having a few beers.
|

replied October 3rd, 2011
post transplant
i had my kydney transplant on the 7th Jan'2011 & i am 60 years old, can one drink occasionally, as pre- transplant i used to drink heavy

kawal sethi
|

replied October 5th, 2011
have a beer, life is too short as we know
|

replied October 23rd, 2011
Hi, I had my renal transplant in 2005, when i was 17 .... since then i have been able to live my life to the fullest! ..... i go out drinking at music festivals, pubs, clubs and on holidays .... i have the time of my life and just make sure i drink plenty of water in between drinks and take my drugs and im doin great!!! Very Happy
|
Users who thank kkzz for this post: GopiB 

replied October 24th, 2011
Nice one. Treat every day as your last
|

replied November 7th, 2011
The post from "the life of riley" is hilarious! Nice job on the fake post! I had a kidney transplant 15 years ago, and drink 3-5 times a month, 2-5 beers. I don't drink every day, and usually not 2 days in a row. Not a problem, per the dr. or my experience. I avoided it for the first couple years, but per the nephrologist, chronic drinking will result in a problem because it effects the cyclosporine levels in your blood, but occasional drinks should be fine. I'm surprised that people with transplants here say they drink every day, that could knock years off your kidney due to chronic rejection, but hey, knock yourselves out.
|

replied November 11th, 2011
My kidney has lasted 27 years, and it's still working great. I drink occasionally. Everything in moderation.
|

replied December 12th, 2011
I Had my kidney transplant in 1993 and have lived a full life drinking smoking doing everything other kids of my age was doing, going to raves getting high, I worked as a roadie for 10 years and really lived the rock n roll life, i went to check ups every 4 months after the first year and they always said to me whatever your doing keep doing it!! I think you should not worry live your life to the max, you can make your self sick with the worry of what if, I'm not saying everyone should do what i have done but if you understand how much i have lived then you would not worry about a few drinks a month, i'm 40 now and I am a landlord of a pub, I have had 6 children and fit as a butchers dog and i drink a fair bit every week. positive thinking people you don't have an handicap you have a new life a new chance, get out there and live it!! as if your like me someone had to die for you to live so you need to live for 2. Goodluck and don't look back. x
|

replied April 10th, 2012
Alcohol and kidney transplant
I don't think a lot of you know what you're talking about. Do some searching for scientific studies on alcohol and renal transplant patients... here's one:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/ 11/101121122547.htm
Summary is that moderate drinking actually increases longevity and decreases the incidence of diabetes (as in the normal population)... caveat.. keep your drinking to moderation and keep your weight down..
|
12 >>