Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Chest Pain While Smoking Weed (Page 1)

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
Sometimes when I smoke weed I get chest pain on my left hand side. It isn't horrible, but certainly noticable. Often the next day I still have that feeling. Sometimes when I don't smoke I get the same thing but it usually goes away in a minute or two. Since it's only on my left hand side I doubt that it's my lungs and am concerned that it's my heart. The feeling is that it is being gripped. First off, is it my heart? Second, what is going on if it is? And third, should anything other than stop smoking? I'm 16 and my cholesterol is kind of high if that means anything........ Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper LoveLightLife
|

replied January 28th, 2007
Experienced User
I think it means that you should go see a docotor. High colesteral and chest pains, on your left side. And you smoke. You should go get checked out, maybe nothing, but why take a chance. It would be a shame to die at such a young age from something that could be prevented.
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2007
Experienced User
I am sure putting a bunch of toxins into your chest area isn't the best idea when you experience pain right after. But that's just my opinion.
|

replied February 5th, 2007
I think this is normal for any weed smoker. I've been smoking weed for about 4 years almost everyday and have experienced temporary pains in the chest and in my lungs. I think also it depends on how much you smoke I only had it when I smoked a ton of it but now I have lowered my tolerance and dont really have any chest pain. I have a friend too who experiences pain there.
|

replied March 4th, 2007
Experienced User
smoking weed, chest pains, high cholesterol ...doctor's visit anyone?
Indeed.
visit.
Please.
this could or could not be bad.
But if I were you, i'd rather not take a chance.
|

replied March 8th, 2008
hey i am experiencing the exact same case that you are on the left hand side and it suddenly started for no reason like 2 years ago i am currently 21 and i have this pain a lot especially after smoking weed.
i went to see as many as 10 different doctors and examined my heart my lungs my stomach and pretty much everything else the last doctor told me that it is related to my intestines and that is what is causing me the pain and he prescribed me medication but nothing seems to work...

Please inform me if you solved your problem and how?
this is really important to me because this pain is starting to drive me crazy...

thanks in advance
|

replied April 20th, 2011
Hey I get the same effect too it soo weird. I'm soo pissed it wont go away I take t3s that my doctor gave me to numb it down it still hurts though. My left arm would go a little numb sometimes. It's too much. If you found out what it is hit me up thx.
|

replied May 11th, 2012
I have had chest pain, and palpitations for the past year or so. Gets much worse when I smoke. Tried self-medicating with Vicodin for the longest, might make you feel a bit better about it, but the pain is still there. Try taking a xanax. The doctor told me that it was anxiety and put me on 2 different meds before he put me on xanax. I feel absolutely no pain in my chest, even when i do smoke. I do not abuse the xanax, and don't confone it. Just one .5 mg xanax 3 times a day, and the pain is gone. Good luck finding a doc that will prescribe it to you though.
|

replied March 17th, 2012
Heart pain from smoking pot? Angina? Collapsed Lung?
Have you searched up cannibinol dysphoria? I have some uncomfortable pain, not sharp just uncomfortable. I found that when I was 21 when I smoked too copious an amount of weed and gained a discomfort everytime I smoked (now 40). Also when I did amphetatmines or hallucinogens. So I stopped. Been years but I am now having this similar feeling. Not sure what mine is but dysphoria from pot is more common than most people would like to believe. I also had a heart ecg and bloodwork recently. All clear, but this similar feeling continues. Collapsed lung symptoms can be quite similar also - and if its from ingesting pot into lungs...? Good luck all.
|

replied April 16th, 2008
Aleve
I had smoked for awhile and stopped for a few months. When I started smoking again, I started getting the chest pains on the left side. Now its gotten worse. It sometimes gets hard to breath. I went to several doctors and they knew nothing. Finally, my school doctor told me that it is an inflamation of on the walls of your chest, arthiritis. Take some Aleve or rub some icy-hot on it; works everytime.
|

replied July 8th, 2008
Im 25 and I've been smoken weed sence I was 14, I dont smoke tobacco, only grass, and I dont drink coffee or anything else but water and milk! Anyways for the last year I have been getting pains in my chest on my left side, and on my left hand, a vain looks like it swells sometimes on my palm. I also get pain in my left leg and foot! I havent seen a doctor yet but it hurts so much that I will be going to the hospital tomorrow! I know its from smoken, I smoke when I wake up to when I sleep! but I've been trying to quit for months and its hard! I know that this will be my down fall, and if I dont change my habbits it will kill me! So to those who are listening, I want you to know that I'm trying everything in my power to stop smoken and there should be more help and research for people out there that just smoke grass! everyone I know smokes and it would be nice to get away and try to clean up my habbit! TY for listening! Smoken has always been my outlet,,,, I need to find another way to numb my emotional pain besides smoken!

I will come back to let you know what the doctor here says! I will also try aleve : )
|

replied July 12th, 2008
i think its nothing serious, but you cannt neglect it, do some regular exercise, lets see, if it keeps on for a couple of days, off course you should see a doctor!
|

replied July 11th, 2009
I also have been experiencing something very similar after smoking weed. I'm 25 and have been smoking for over 10 years, but the chest pains have just been happening over the past year. My chest would tighten and sometimes my hands and feet would get numb, and sometimes my left foot would hurt as well. And it would last for 30 mins to over an hr. I do have a history of asthma as well but not since I was 4 hrs old. I want to see a doctor but I have no insurance. If anyone has any info on what this could possibly be. Please post. Thanks !
|

replied July 11th, 2009
well smoking while having high cholsterol well it can be many things. any smoker if its weed or just a cigarette experience little pain in chest. because smoke is not good for you it damages your instestine and so much more. its weakens your immune system. it could be many things. i suggust to slowly quit or quite head cold. just to see if it gets better. im expeierence somewat simmilar probs only in other areas and its cigarettes that are causing it. and when i did smoke weed. i was alawys getting sick cuz immune system was weakening from the ganja and da cigarettes. so a quite b see doc c live with it.
|

replied October 14th, 2009
hi i think i have been smoking weed for almost 5 years now, and very rececntly i have been having pain on alternate sides of chest, may be with lungs when it's on right. i hope it could be due to some gastritis. because it goes off after properly exhaling gas from somewhere and gives great relief. i hope there's nothing serious about it.
|

replied October 24th, 2009
Pain while smoking weed
Hi, I have only smoked weed maybe 6 times over the last year, and I experience sharp pains on my left side of the chest into my left arm down to my hand. I have only gotten really high once, and that was my first time. I had had a panic attack, and my whole body felt like it was crawling all over, but now its just my left arm and left side of the chest. I don't even have to smoke the weed. I can just be around people who are smoking it and I instantly feel that pain. Its like a pain, but feels like my arm and chest are just crawling with discomfort. I will say that I was born with bad lungs already, because my mother had smoked when she was pregnant with me. So much so that when my brother was born he had to go on a lung machine, because his lungs were so bad.
|

replied November 10th, 2009
chest pains related to marijuana smoking
I also have smoked pot on a regular basis for just around two years now and have recently stopped smoking cigarettes in the past 6 months. This summer however i freaked myself into thinking i was having a heart attack so i went to the emergency room and got chest xrays. The results failed to reveal anything and i went to have a stress test done as well. I am currently 20 years old and have been diagnosed with high blood pressure at the age of 16. It is fairly well regulated however and is currently treated with medication. I have had these pains off and on for the past 5-6 months and they are a dull achy feeling that comes and goes. Since having seen a cardiologist and him finding nothing abnormal I have been thinking about seeking another opinion despite their saying nothing is wrong. I also have very recently quit smoking pot to see if this helps. I will report any changes i find and hopefully the elimination of smoke into my lungs will yield a resolution for my dull chest pain. If anyone has not seen a doctor and are experiencing these pains it is vital to see a doctor. They know alot more about these symptoms than we do so hope all is well and stays well.
|

replied November 24th, 2009
its an anxiety disorder
Guys, guys, guys... listen up. if you experience chest pains, get the sensation that you can 'feel' your heart beat, sometimes sharp and harsh, sometimes dull and achey chest pains, sometimes spreading to the neck and one or both arms, and fast paced paranoid or afraid thoughts, then you should see a doctor because you probably have an anxiety disorder. and weed being the hallucinogenic plant that it is can make matters alot worse. after you stop toking up for awhile you will realise its not the end of the world and you can still have just as much fun not stoned. worked for me, i found that hallucinogens arent very reassuring with chest pains so i tend to keep away from ganja, acid, ket, shrooms, and dxm especially. however, stimulants are always good and never have any problems, let me know if this helps.
|

replied January 17th, 2010
Anxiety Related
I would agree with this probably having to do with anxiety. I dated a boy who had been smoking weed for years when he started to say he was getting chest pains when he smoked weed. It scared me and I thought for sure something was wrong, but after he went to the doctor numerous times out of fear of having a heart attack, the doctor's finally decided he had anxiety due to the fact they could never find anything wrong with his heart. I've been regularly for about three years now and the chest pains just started for me about six months ago. They've gotten to the point where it happens almost every time I light up, which is pretty much daily. I'm pretty perplexed about it because all the research I've done points to anxiety, but yet I don't feel like I should have an anxiety problem and I think the weed might have actually caused it itself. Enough rambling, point being... it's probably more mental than physical!
|

replied March 17th, 2010
I dont think its more mental than physical because i am experiencing the exact same problems with chest pains but now it even spreads to my back every time i smoke which is 4-5 times a day everyday. Ive been smoking heavily for over a year but now my chest really starts to hurt. But the problem is i cant stop smoking. any advice?
|

replied March 21st, 2010
Chest Pains While smoking
Yeah Ive been having this problem for a couple months 3-4 maybe chest starts to hurt and now for some reason under my ribcage its like bubbling like i have a upset stomach but i dont.I get shortness in breath i play full court basketball every week i dont have asthma.Gettin a physical done on thursday. DEF PUTTING DOWN THE WEEEEED
|

replied March 29th, 2010
I think its serious concern so don't ignore it....
You should go for a doctor
|

replied March 30th, 2010
If you think it's from the smoke damaging your lungs... don't smoke.

There are other routes of administration for cannabis, try vaporizing (less carcinogens), or solving it with lipids or alcohol so that you can take it orally.

This could be many things so I would definitely suggest a trip to the doctor. If you don't have insurance then try the above methods and see if it starts to go away. If it does it is most like related to how the smoke effects your lungs. If not then you need to get medical help one way or another.
|
Quick Reply