Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Q and A Forum

Epilepsy & congential deformity during pregnancy

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
User Profile
I had sex with my husband after the last day of my period , when I waked up today I felt dizzy all the day, I’m under medicine I’m taking Tegratol for the seizure, my husband and I try to have a baby, my question is today I took a pregnancy test and it was negative, what do think the reason for my dizzy Am I pregnant or what, and how can I be pregnant, and do you think the Tegratol well affect us to have chance be a pregnant.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2007
Pregnancy Q&A Answer A2258
If you had sex the day after the last day of your period, the chances for becoming pregnant are valid only if your cycle is 21 days in length. A menstrual cycle of 21 days is still considered in the normal, healthy range for menstrual cycles. A pregnancy test result is valid only if the test is taken not more than 5 days before an expected period comes. A pregnancy test is most useful when taken after missing the expected period. In your case, you didn’t tell me when you’ve done the pregnancy test so I can’t tell you if the result from the test is relevant or not.

You can get pregnant if you have unprotected sex during the fertile days of your cycle. The fertile days of the menstrual cycles are the 2 days before and the 2 days after ovulation. Ovulation occurs about 14 days before the next period comes.

Tegratol (carbamazepine) increases the risk of congenital malformations but for pregnant women with epilepsy, there is another problem. Epilepsy itself is a risk factor for the development of congenital malformations in the fetus, no matter if you take anticonvulsants or not.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pregnancy Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.