Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

My Brother Talking to Himself

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
Um... My 18 year old brother talks to himself. He's been doing it for a long time. I can't remember for how long but I think he didn't do it when he was a young child.

I know he has some depression once in a while if something upsets him but he recovers quickly. He almost never goes out and I doubt he has any friends. The only times he goes out (socially) is with my older brother and my brother's friends. He is socially awkward but that's not why he doesn't have friends. The reason why is because he just doesn't make any, almost like he's too lazy to do it or something. I can't describe it.

But anyways, my concern is that he talks to himself. He'll ask himself questions and answer them. He'll comment on shows out loud and not just exclaiming something, he debates something in what he's seen with himself. It's not your occasional "what the heck" or "why did I do that?!"

we tell him to be quiet if we're watching a movie so he knows he's doing it to a point. Sometimes he gets defensive if you confront him and ask why he's doing it or if you say, "stop talking to yourself."

it's like he has no inner monologue.

Is there anything that can be done? Anybody know why he does this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2007
He really sounds like he needs a visit to your therapist. Not so much for the talking and answering himself but for the isolation, lack of social circles, and the such.

I have impossiblility in making friends and keeping them. With the exception of my family and everyone here I have no one. That is just the way it is for us Bipolars. Have your brother checked for depression before he does something that all of you will regret.

You searching for him is his beacon of hope. Tell him so.
|

replied March 29th, 2007
hi your brother sounds like me but i carnt get a counslor at all or should i say my dr carnt insted i got given meds off my dr and he sees me evry 2 days , i just want to stay in as i feel safe in my own place hope your brother is succesful in geting help Smile
|

replied May 26th, 2007
watch the secret window that will answer everything
|

replied May 4th, 2009
Talking to himself - Aspergers
Perhaps he has a neurological issue like Aspergers, rather than a mental illness.
People with Aspergers have issues with socializing & sometimes talk to themselves.
|

replied November 14th, 2011
Hope for my Son's mental health
OMG My Son is all the above, he is 34 years & I have been waiting for hope that my Son will live like we all do you know "Love,Share,Live,Laugh,have a Family!I know now I need to stop waiting for my Sons Life to change,he seems so sad,frustrated,confused,no consentration,no social life he's so akeward around anyone including Me & I am his Mom,He has nothing to say most of the time,he is hansome but as soon as a female notices he's not ok there is no interest what so ever in socializing,my Son lives so Isolated & has no friends!!! He is trapped in a mentally robbed brain & I am broken in two.I seem to have ran out of resouces & most of all HOPE.Helpless & Broken Hearted , I am very loving but warn out about my Sona future....
|

replied December 25th, 2012
Mother in denial
Well hello?!?! Do you think it's time to get him and yourself help?!? Or are you going to wait another 30 years???
|

replied November 14th, 2011
Hope for my Son's mental health
OMG My Son is all the above, he is 34 years & I have been waiting for hope that my Son will live like we all do you know "Love,Share,Live,Laugh,have a Family!I know now I need to stop waiting for my Sons Life to change,he seems so sad,frustrated,confused,no consentration,no social life he's so akeward around anyone including Me & I am his Mom,He has nothing to say most of the time,he is hansome but as soon as a female notices he's not ok there is no interest what so ever in socializing,my Son lives so Isolated & has no friends!!! He is trapped in a mentally robbed brain & I am broken in two.I seem to have ran out of resouces & most of all HOPE.Helpless & Broken Hearted , I am very loving but warn out about my Sona future....
|

replied July 4th, 2012
mental illness
hello every one.i have lived with my brother talking to himself for decades.when he was young,my father sent him off to school.he had a room mate who he claims poisoned him.he was never the same.he came home.talking to himself,violent etc...my father crapped on him for not finishing college.im sorry to say that when u have some one with mental illness in your family it is not what u think.it doesn't just spring up.it usually means that your husband,sons,relatives,unmarried and married aunts and uncles etc...are manipulative lowlifes,adultering,hypocracy,greed,sexual ity,narcsisismm, etc..all play into causing mental illness.after spending a lifetime helping my brother he finally got better.as soon as he came home from hospital,people took advantage of him for there own gain.people began to treat me different once i compromised my career and life to help my brother.others would highlight his illness to hide there own.the problem with mental illness is that its so easy to take advantage of.so-called friends and family become very self serving.if u have a child,brother etc,,,who talks to himself u are in real trouble.i no this because after trying to help my bro then having people take advantage of me i talk to myself.i never did before.my prayers are with u all.god bless
|

replied July 4th, 2012
hello every one.i have lived with my brother talking to himself for decades.when he was young,my father sent him off to school.he had a room mate who he claims poisoned him.he was never the same.he came home.talking to himself,violent etc...my father crapped on him for not finishing college.im sorry to say that when u have some one with mental illness in your family it is not what u think.it doesn't just spring up.it usually means that your husband,sons,relatives,unmarried and married aunts and uncles etc...are manipulative lowlifes,adultering,hypocracy,greed,sexual ity,narcsisismm, etc..all play into causing mental illness.after spending a lifetime helping my brother he finally got better.as soon as he came home from hospital,people took advantage of him for there own gain.people began to treat me different once i compromised my career and life to help my brother.others would highlight his illness to hide there own.the problem with mental illness is that its so easy to take advantage of.so-called friends and family become very self serving.if u have a child,brother etc,,,who talks to himself u are in real trouble.i no this because after trying to help my bro then having people take advantage of me i talk to myself.i never did before.my prayers are with u all.god bless
|