Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Torn Trapezius Muscle

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I went to the er because I was having extreme shoulder pain for about a month since I started cheerleading. I had a mri done and it showed a complete tear in the trapezius muscle. I was referred to a orthopedic surgeon and I was wondering how common this is and what other treatment options I may have.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper KDEAZY
|

replied February 22nd, 2009
Your tear
Hey that really sucks. What section of your trap tore? Was it the upper, middle, or lower? I have a complete tear in my lower trap and don't know what to do. What has your orthopedic surgeon said about what he/she thinks you should do? Surgery?

By the way to answer your question, it is VERY VERY rare to have a completely torn trap. As far as other treatment options you have, you can see a M.A.T therapist. They will get your other muscles that are in the area to work at peak capacity so they will pick up the slack that the trap is no longer doing. You could also skip the surgery and just go straight to physical therapy. They will make sure that all your surrounding muscles are very strong so they will pick up the slack of your trap. But I would suggest you go see the surgeon first and git his/her take on what they think you should do and what all your options are. But for now, do not workout at all, take it really easy on your shoulder, ice it and then apply heat. Also you can take fish oil to help reduce the inflammation. I hope it all goes well for you. Also considering we both have the same injury and considering how rare it is, if you'd like I can give you my email and maybe I can help give you some advice and visa versa. Well either way good luck and know that there is someone else out there who is going through pretty much the same thing that you are, hopefully that will make you not feel like you're the only one. Good luck,

Kevin
|

User Profile
replied October 15th, 2011
I tore my upper trap away from the spine by the looks but not too clear on MRI due to my fusion and hardware in my lower cervical region.
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
Trapezius Muscle Tear
Hi

What were your symptoms?
How did you get your injury?
How longstanding has it been?

I think I may have mine torn also
|

replied February 23rd, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
i think your treatment options are pretty limited if your trap is completely torn the two ends are not going to heal together no matter what you do i would think the orthopedic surgeon would want to sow your muscle back together the trap is a large powerful muscle with a unique function and if you are lacking this muscle on one side of your body strengthening the surrounding muscles may not adequately restore proper function to your upper body and spine and in time you may develop scoliosis as a result your lucky in that your spine will not have to be operated on and as you probably know a good result is not always guaranteed with spine surgery repairing the trap muscle should be fairly straight forward in comparison i would go with what the ortho says just make sure he is a good one

all the best FreemanA
|

replied February 24th, 2009
Question for roller64
Hey thank you for responding to my post I really appreciate it. So, I just got back from the orthopedic surgeon and they did an x ray on my back and it turns out I have a slight scoliosis in my spine (I never used to have scoliosis). Even though I told this to the surgeon he examined me and concluded that my lower trap wasn't torn but he says there is some kind of "mass" in my middle trap (medial border of my scapula, parallel to my spine). I am scheduled to have an MRI done later today to see what the "mass" is. I would like your opinion on what the "mass" might be? My guess is that it is the belly of my lower trap muscle all balled up and that my lower trap is indeed torn. If you know any other ailments that produce the same symptoms as mine and that could be something other than a torn muscle I would be very thank full for you to tell me (I may have to spoon feed this surgeon the information). Thank you!

-Kdeazy
|

replied February 25th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
Hi Kdeazy yeah orthos can be a bit funny about what they reveal to you however in this case he is probably waiting to see your MRI reveals because that is the only way to tell what your problem is its extremely important that you follow through with the MRI and see who ever you are supposed to in a timely manner your scoliosis can wait until you have a full picture of your health.

Wishing you all the best Kdeazy feel free to post again any time.
|

replied January 3rd, 2010
tumors can develop in muscle
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied October 13th, 2011
what kind of MRI did you have that revealed a complete tear in your trapezius?? was it a shoulder mri??? i am having pain in my trap region, they sent me for a c spine and shoulder mri, will this show my trapezius regoin?
|

replied October 13th, 2011
general inquiry
what kind of MRI did you have that revealed a complete tear in your trapezius?? was it a shoulder mri??? i am having pain in my trap region, they sent me for a c spine and shoulder mri, will this show my trapezius regoin? and of course, how are you doing now? was surgery needed?
|

User Profile
replied October 15th, 2011
Shoulder and thoracic region
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2012
Well actually chest xray is how they have it in the report. Mine turned out to be a few herniation's of the paraspinal muscles and possibly T1 from stress after C6 C7 fusion May of 2010 to remove ganglionueroma tumor on my spine and brachail plexus. I am having surgery to repair this on Thursday, it is hopeful that will be not too major but will not know till they get in there. My shoulder sits a full 3+ inches lower and has had non stop trauma on it since late summer of '09 when I started with symptoms that where more looking like a torn rotator cuff. But orthopedic surgeons couldnt figure it out. Do to it was the tumor was the cause, it also was my long thoracic nerve which was lost do to the tumor. Been a brutal few years, hope this surgery is non evasive. But I have my neurosurgeon that did my neck and a reconstructive/plastic surgeon, both are amazing surgeons. So I am in very good hands. Just may need another surgery after this one if the herniation isnt causing the dramatic drop, also the pulling on the fused area for so long may just turn into needing that re-done like 20% of others in 10 years following. That is where I feel the most pull is in my neck. With the luck Ive had I will need another surgery soon. Well I will update next weekend when I get home from the hospital and give some results. If have any questions I had an extremely rare condition, full case study is still going on. email me
Hope you all gets the help that you need. Since I have had this going on for soo long I have done extensive research feel free to email me. If I do not get right back to you i maybe still in the hospital.
Thanks everyone for all the info
Dustin
|

replied November 21st, 2012
Question
Can a torn paraspinal and trap muscles be seen on an MRI if it occurred 8 months ago and no images have been done? Can you tell me of a good neurosurgeon or Orthopedic surgeon to help me? I have seen a few, but none want to do anything further meaning imaging surgery etc.. I am at my wits end and frightened and have had many things go wrong since my car accident.
|

replied May 13th, 2013
HELP!!
Could someone help me? I woke up about 8 months ago with a "crick" in my neck. I thought it would go away within a day, but it didn't and I still have the pain to this day. In the past month I have been having trapezius and shoulder pain that radiates down to my elbow. My sternocleidomastoid (sp?) looks to be the muscle that has been hurting since July of last year. This is all happening to my left side. I have been going to a chiropractor since February of this year and my back paid has eased, as well as my headaches, but the neck and shoulder pain is still there. They did x-rays and haven't led on to anything in my neck area...I'm just looking for some kind of relief and help. Anyone have any ideas?
|