Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

How Long Does It Take to Get Pregnant After An Abortion?

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
I was about 7 and a half weeks when I had mine almost 9 months ago. I had an affair and him and I thought the best thing was an abortion because I was married and he allready had a 6 month old. I told my husband and ramily that I was a misscarriage and and my husband and I have been trying for about 6 months to get pregnant and have had no luck. What should we do? My husband just left for iraq but we still want to try when he gets back. Is there anything I can do to help myself be able to carry a full term when he gets back?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Physically there is nothing stopping you getting pregnant straightaway although some doctors do advise to wait a while. Emotionally though do you think you're ready? You may be still grieving for the baby you aborted.

Have you spoke to your doctor about it? What do they say?
|

replied April 17th, 2007
I'm With Beckster06
I agree with Beckster06. Physically, nothing is stopping you unless something went wrong during, or because, of the abortion. However, with it being 9 months ago, you probably would have figured it out, but not always.

And, if you are not emotionally ready for another baby, then you have an increased risk of PPD. I have seen this happen before.
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: How Long Does It Take to Get Pregnant After An Abortion?
hill_oorah wrote:
I was about 7 and a half weeks when I had mine almost 9 months ago. I had an affair and him and I thought the best thing was an abortion because I was married and he allready had a 6 month old. I told my husband and ramily that I was a misscarriage and and my husband and I have been trying for about 6 months to get pregnant and have had no luck. What should we do? My husband just left for iraq but we still want to try when he gets back. Is there anything I can do to help myself be able to carry a full term when he gets back?

Just to back up the other two, it is highly unlikely that you have problems conceiving due to the abortion (I believe the actual chances are just 1%, and that's not from the termination, but rather infections which are more common in childbirth). After a person gives birth, ideally she would rest at least a year to give her womb time to heal before trying for another baby and this also applies after an abortion or miscarriage, but no way near as long. Nine months is a good time for you womb to return to how it was previously and heal after your pregnancy.

The only other thing I advise you on is the reasons for wanting to be pregnant again. Please, please be sure that you are not trying to replace the baby you aborted or wanting to cover any possible guilt for what happened (your affair included), because the consequences can be very devastating emotionally and psychologically for you and your family. Be certain that you are wanting a baby for all the right reasons (that you genuinely want a child, not since you feel regret for your abortion) - that's something you owe to your husband and future baby and most of all - yourself.

Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2009
Well I had an abortion 9/27/08 and really regret it.I pray everyday that god will forgive me for what I have done it had a lot to do with the influnce of other people because I'am 19 years old with a 3 year old I'am still hurt over it and now it is june and I have decided to start trying again and would never do that again.
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2009
i'am not one to ever think that I would put myself thought nothing like that.I always thought it was murder but a lot of people had influence on my decicion even though I made the decision it was wrong and I pray that god will forgive me when i had my abortion 9/27/08 i was 19 years old with a 3 year old little girl I'am really sorry god please forgive. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad javascript:emoticon('Crying or Very sad')Everybody makes mistakes right?
|

replied July 2nd, 2009
I had a abortion when i was 14 im 22 now can i havwent got pregnant yet since then. My abortion wasnt my choice it was sumthin my mother wanted to happen. Now that i want a baby i cant have one. i tell myself everyday if i dont have a baby by 25 i dont want none.
|

replied August 24th, 2009
God4giveme. I know what your going through ive had 3 abortions last one (17/6/09) 8 wks and 4 days not MY choice i was forced into it by my boyfriend his parents and also mine i regret it everyday every moment of every second i think of it it drives me crazy no one understands me and you can only talk to people who have gone through it who will really understand its like i keep replacing baby and baby knowing ill never be able to keep it because of all the a**holes in my life im 20 now and i feel like if i cant have a baby im not going to be able to live with myself i pray to god aswell to forgive me i pray to god to bless me with another child sometimes i wish they never invented terminations just so i could keep mine, yes i am still with my bf of 3 abortions been together for 3 years he makes me do it yet he doesnt care about wearing protection its like one minute he likes the idea the next he doesnt. but to hell with everyone im an adult im so desperate for a baby ill get pregnant but when and if i do i aint sayinf sh*t to any one im gonna keep it a secret till its TOO late and they can suck on that and rott in hell for what they made me do, i am a different person now after going through all that pain and suffering i think im going to grieve till the day die i was young and stupid and let people tell me what to do but its hard when
NO ONE will help you and your by yourself i am currently trying for another baby now and hwne it happen no one is going to take MY baby away from me!
|

replied October 25th, 2009
I had an abortion about a year ago. i am 24 i have 2 children ages 6 and 4. i had this bf that wasnt mentally together(i didnt know until he flipped out on me) and i became pregnant and was afriad of what will happened if i told him i was pregnant so i had an abortion..big mistake i regret and feel horrible about it everyday..now my new fiance and i want to try for one of our own together..we have bene trying for the last 3 months and no luck..Could something have gone wrong in the operationi want to go to the dr to see but im scared of the results
|

replied April 22nd, 2010
Is it to soon to have try and get pregnant 2 weeks after an abor
I had an abortion exactly 2 weeks and 5 days ago I truly regret it, my husband and i are trying again for a baby i am wondering if it is to soon to try just for physical reasons or will it hurt the pregnancy if i do get pregnant since i barely had the abortion.
|

replied November 29th, 2011
Recovery time is six weeks. I don't think you should be having sex yet. But you can definitely get pregnant immediately after an abortion.
|

replied August 23rd, 2012
Re: How Long Does It Take to Get Pregnant After An Abortion?
hill_oorah wrote:

if u have any problem in pregency then call me 9650982431
|

replied March 13th, 2014
help
i had an abortion i could cry everyday ive asked god forfigness i have and me and my bf want to try for a baby i had my abortion the 1st ov march how long will it take plz help
|