Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Back Pain And Sharp Pains In My Side. Help!

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Hi,

over the passed year i've been experiencing a sharp stabbing pain in my left side off and on every now and then. It will only last a second. Now, I have pain in my lower back on both sides but I believe it started on my left side. I didn't think much of it but now i'm really starting to worry about it being my kidneys.

I went to the doctor a few months back about some swelling on my left side and he sent me to a urologist. I had my urine tested and got some blood tests done and everything came out fine so I lied and told him everything was fine after he told me it was probably just constipation.

I have difficulty urinating especially when I drink alot. I have to force the urine to come out and push with my abdomen really hard. When I was younger I was really backward and would hold my urine in for hours and hours at a time because I was too ashamed to ask to use the rest room. Now, that i'm older sometimes if I hold it in I can't go at all even if I want to I have to try and force it out and my bladder doesn't feel fully emptied half the time.

I'm really starting to worry that I did severe damage to my kidneys, prostate, bladder, etc. I've had abdominal pains for years. Sometimes my stomach would hurt when i'd press on it. I thought it was just gas but now i'm worried.

Anyone else experience anything like this or have any advice?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 16th, 2007
I feel the exact same thing. It feels like when I bend the wrong way I get this numbing, stabbing back pain in my mid back area on each side that only lasts a couple of seconds. I thought it might be my kidneys too. I haven't been to the doctor but I really feel like I need to go. I've also had problems before urinating..I've had many bladder infections, but i've never felt this weird pain before.
|

replied February 16th, 2007
Get your prostate checked out, with luv.
|

replied February 26th, 2007
renee06 wrote:
I feel the exact same thing. It feels like when I bend the wrong way I get this numbing, stabbing back pain in my mid back area on each side that only lasts a couple of seconds. I thought it might be my kidneys too. I haven't been to the doctor but I really feel like I need to go. I've also had problems before urinating..I've had many bladder infections, but i've never felt this weird pain before.

Hi Renee. Definitley get it checked out. I talked to a nurse who said I may have had a urinary tract infection that's starting spread to my kidneys.

I've already scheduled an apointment with my doctor. I need a referral to go back to the urologist.
|

replied September 1st, 2009
I have the same thing... but i can pee just fine... the only other difference is that my lower back hurts really bad if someone touches it just right... but when i push on it, it doesnt hurt... what should i do??? I'm afraid to go to the doctor because i'm really afraid to have surgery!!!
|

replied November 28th, 2010
pains in my leftside like a winding feeling and pain in my chest
you seem to have pneumonia which can be life threatening if not treated or found.....dont be panicked by this its very rare to be life threatening if treated fast ...please do not smoke as from now or at least cut down...ive got this right now and three days into treatment luckyi got found fast.....it all started about 2 weeks ago i was sat in a cold room watching t.v and my sleep pattern was bad...going to bed late and waking up late then i awoke one day and my heart beat was fast i went to hospital and my heart rate was 179 bps and nomral should be 60-90 i got treated to slow my heart down next day i got sent home there told me it was a one off ....this was the start of my neumonia then 2 weeks later i got this terrible pain in my left chest and front lung and back i thought it was my heart then when i pressed my under chest it hurt on my ribs i thought id cracked a rib....i didnt do owt then when i woke up the pain was on a scale of 1-10 it was 11 all down one side....it was totally bad my mate told me to go to casualty so i did there did tests on my blood and lucky there told me i had neumonia there gave me antibiotics and steriods 5mg steds and 250mg antis to take for the next 7 days...i am now day two into my drugs and i feel ok the pain as gone in my left side and my chest...i also coughing clots of blood which is normal....so get to your doctors and tell them you got neumonia because thats what is causing the pain in your left side its kind of a winding pain isnt it like your being winded in your side and worst when you wake up...try lying in bed up right with pillows stacked up and dont lay on your side....this does help...but be warned it can be life threatening can neumonia if not treated fast...please act fast now you know what it is...thanks you and i hope i have at least help someone ./
|

replied December 4th, 2010
back pain can cause due to excessive gym or weight can be a reason for back pain problem. Back pain is a problem to consider and if you are seriously chronicle pain than you must take help
|

replied January 17th, 2012
I have the same problem with the Back and Side pains.. i never have trouble urinating. but I did wake up this morning from a dead sleep in sooo much pain.. i couldnt move or anything because it hurt so much. I was crying because it hurt so bad . it hurting now.
|
Quick Reply