Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Rib Pain And Back Spasms

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Nov 1 I developed very sharp pain left mid back area.By late aft unable to move at all. Never had back spasm before but believe that is what it was. Since then, extreme difficulty breathing,voice is very hoarse going on 3 months now. I am 52 ,marathoner and tri athlete. Did not suffer any accident or trauma prior to the on set of pain. I have been to 8 diff drs and am currently seeing a chiropractor for 1st time in my life. I have experienced short periods of relief but whenever I attempt to run or swim back to square 1. I believe I possibly have rib(s) turned or out of place though not broken. It feels like my diaphragm and ribs are operating in oppisition if that makes sense. When lying down in slight recine position ,pain is almost gone and can talk and breathe normally. I have been seeing chiro for 2 months now 4 days a week. Should I be seeing someone else about this and if so,what type of dr? Should chiro have been able to put rib back in place by now? For the record, I have had chest xrays,ct scan, blood work,cardio check ,ashtma check and all clear
i thought of shingles rash but is not shingles. The current chiro dr I am seeing is the 2nd, having no experience w/chiro drs I am not sure about their methods . They seem pretty vague and keep telling me it takes time to heal but in lieu of any real trauma cant seem to tell what is causing this and how it happened

Last edited by globug on January 28th, 2007 12:47 PM; edited 1 time in total
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper globug
|

replied January 26th, 2007
Re: Rib Pain And Back Spasms
globug wrote:
nov 1 I developed very sharp pain left mid back area.By late aft unable to move at all. Never had back spasm before but believe that is what it was. Since then, extreme difficulty breathing,voice is very hoarse going on 3 months now. I am 52 ,marathoner and tri athlete. Did not suffer any accident or trauma prior to the on set of pain. I have been to 8 diff drs and am currently seeing a chiropractor for 1st time in my life. I have experienced short periods of relief but whenever I attempt to run or swim back to square 1. I believe I possibly have rib(s) turned or out of place though not broken. It feels like my diaphragm and ribs are operating in oppisition if that makes sense. When lying down in slight recine position ,pain is almost gone and can talk and breathe normally. I have been seeing chiro for 2 months now 4 days a week. Should I be seeing someone else about this and if so,what type of dr? Should chiro have been able to put rib back in place by now? For the record, I have had chest xrays,ct scan, blood work,cardio check ,ashtma check and all clear

hello,

the dc (doctor of chiropractic) should reevaluate your condition and if needed refer to another healthcare professional. If your not happy with this chiropractor then go see another one to get a second opinion. Your case could possibly be a couple of different things that are masking each other. Have you had an mri? Also curious, do you have a rash running horizontally on your rib cage?
|

replied February 1st, 2007
Back Pain /ribs
As of yet no mri but do have an appt with an internist. Hopefully he will suggest that. Also , no rash -- I thought of shingles too, but definitely not shingles. Thanks for the suggestion tho //happy to have any input on this most baffling health issue.
|

replied March 4th, 2008
Back pain
I think I have what you had/have. Any results yet? Mine started middle right side rear rib cage. It is only when I wake up and goes away as the day progresses. It has now spread to the left side. Feels almost like severe cramping. Once I am awake the pain keeps me awake hence it is 4:00 in the morning. Its only been about a week and still need to see the quack. It is exactly where it shows for shingles, but no rashes or other symptons, unless itchey eyes are a symptom and runny nose, but I think that is an allegy.
|

replied March 26th, 2008
I suffered from pain in my lower back for years. I tried all the medication my doctor had (as well as a few others!) and nothing worked.
I found Acupressure Mat (or Tibetan Applicator) that eliminates pain in minutes.
Superb product, i would recommend to everyone with back pain!
|

replied May 24th, 2009
Weird/scary spasms in upper back and ribs
I'm 35, athletic, and have had no exercise related or other injuries in the last several months. Two days ago I started getting such tight, intense muscle spasms in my upper back and back ribs that I can't breathe for a few seconds until it goes away. It gets worse during the day. If I lay down, I can't get up without help! My chest muscles are starting to join in and tighten without warning to the point I can't breathe and I begin to imagine it will crush my ribs. What is this??
|

replied May 24th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You need to be seen by a doctor ASAP. Any kind of chest pain needs to be checked to rule in or out any kind of cardiac problem.

Whether those chest pains are related to any other symptoms you are having can not be determined.

What you need to do is be seen in an ER right away to determine if you chest pain and chest tightness is cardiac related.

Your age and athletic abilities have nothing to do with any kind of cardiac problem.

Please get checked out at the hospital ER right way. Better safe than sorry, and no one in the ER will think badly of you for coming to the ER with chest pain, muscle tightness in your chest and difficulty breathing.

Good luck

Fran
|

replied December 22nd, 2012
I'm in the same boat. I'm 32, athletic, and been having spasm like sensations on the left side of my ribs, or flank area. They checked me for stones, ct scans with and without contrast, ekg yes, heart ultrasound, abdomen ultrasound, blood and urine work, even a colonoscopy and endoscope! Everything checked out ok. Its annoying cuz it radiates from front to back and goes up and down my left abdomen. It easily brings on panic attacks cuz of its location... Of course it all could be stress related... But im tired of it.
|

User Profile
replied January 5th, 2013
Supporter
Darn, I was hoping someone had received a diagnosis. I am having the same problem. I've had it for a while. I know when it first started years ago the doctor thought I had pleurisy due to dragging a mechanical jack through the factory because its battery had died. At that time the majority of the pain and discomfort was at the left front ribcage area. The nurse on my job told me to see a doctor. I went to the ER the next day. He seemed to think it was my spleen. He had me x- rayed and said there was nothing wrong with my spleen, gave a prescription for a few pain pills and sent me home. Since then it has come and gone but I can't seem to figure out what causes it to flare up. Earlier today I bent to the left from a seated position to pick up my purse and a tense knot immediately formed on my right mid back area. It feels like a dull cramp. And now the back left side is joining in. I have a heating pad against it because that's what normally helps muscle cramps to loosen but it never helps for this. I just don't know what else to do. I'm tired of doctors making me feel like it's no big deal or all in my head. Every diagnosis they can think of is ruled out because the pain is not constant but comes and goes. If I find a solution I will be happy to share it with you all and I hope you'll do the same.
*** Edited to add: I forgot to include that the cramps make it painful to breath and deep breaths are next to impossible.
|

Well im glad I found someone with similar symptoms. I failed to mention that a year ago I ruptured my right Achilles tendon, so obviously I've put a lot of strain on my left side (hip, flank, spine). I started seeing a really good chiropractor and massage therapist and they brought up a good point. Upon going over knots and spasms coming from my thoracic spine, they thought maybe it was coming from a specific muscle that is responsible for hip to oblique movement. I forget the name, the something rhombus I think, a triangular muscle. Find yourself a good, holistic chiropractor and massage therapist and talk to them about your symptoms. At this point, im about to demand a t spine MRI, full hernia check, and full pancreas check. And when they say they can't find anything, then it's up to me to work it out.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Well, my pain got a lot worse and I wound up going to the ER this evening. I wish I had received some brilliant diagnosis that has all the symptoms I described but no such luck. The ER doc took blood, had x rays and even ordered an EKG but nothing came of it. He said I have a contusion on my left rib and a back sprain. *shrug* I'm thinking a good chiropractor is more in order, as you suggested. He gave me a script for pain pills and Valium (never heard of using that as a muscle relaxer but he's the expert). Of course, by the time I left there my pharmacy was closed. Aftercare instructions say to rest the affected area for a few days, apply ice the first day and heat the next. The doc also said I might need physical therapy for the back strain- another thing I had never heard of but am willing to give a try.
|

That's exactly what happened to me 2 months ago. I could barely move and it was restricting my breathing, so I went to the ER for a second opinion since I already saw my regular doctor as well as a gastroenterologist and they didn't find anything. The ER doctor did blood work, x-ray, a Pancreas enzyme test (I requested it), and a second CT scan, this time with the contrast dye. They told me they found an obstruction in my intestines. They basically had me prepping myself for a cancer fight... Then a few hours later, the head surgeon came in, looked over all my results and said it didn't look bad, possibly just some constipation. I followed up with a Urologist and another Gastroenterologist and demanded a colonoscopy. I had that with the endoscopy and everything was normal. I have no idea why you were prescribed Valium, unless the doctor thought maybe you were having some stress reactions, like anxiety, and felt it might help diagnose the problem. I'm obviously not a doctor, but I am a certified personal trainer. In my opinion, I would ask for some spine MRI to check for any disc injuries, ask for a thorough hernia check, and double check if they did a Pancreas Enzyme check. After all is cleared, I would suggest some light yoga, some fresh juicing in your diet, a holistic Chiropractor (with my back issues, I've seen some crappy Chiros, so ask around and find one who actually cares and knows what he or she is doing, and treat yourself to a massage! Let me know how everything is going and I'll fill you in with my issues as well.
|

My Chiropractor is in "The Creating Wellness" community. This might help you find a good Chiropractor...
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

User Profile
replied January 6th, 2013
Supporter
Well, the ice actually did help a lot. My back does not hurt nearly as bad as it did yesterday. But it has gone so stiff that I have to strain to bend over and tie my shoes. it's as if the muscles are so tight they won't stretch to allow me to bend forward. I had to go and wait for my prescription to be filled so I haven't done the heat yet. And I haven't taken the meds yet. But I prefer stiffness to pain anyday! Hopefully the heat pad will loosen things up and get me back to normal. =)
|

replied August 10th, 2013
I woke up on Monday with rear ribcage mid back flank pains. not spine, could not take deep breath or sit back at an angle. pain woke me up nightly. Had massage wednesday and screamed in pain. Thurs worse but drank LOTS of water. Saturday 75% better. Can take deep breaths and lie back??? What the hell caused it i dont know. Im not athletic. Female aged 54 ???? Hope it helps .
|

I wole up on Monday with rear ribcage mid back flank pains. could not take deep breath or sit back at an angle. pain woke me up nightly. Had massage wednesday and screamed in pain. Thurs worse but drank LOTS of water. Saturday 75% better. Can take deep breaths and lie back??? What the hell caused it i dont know. Im not athletic. Female aged 54 ???? Hope it helps .
|

User Profile
Supporter
In my case, it was back spasms. The doctor put me on a different muscle relaxer and it has worked very well at loosening the muscles and relieving the pain.
Good luck to the rest of you in finding an answer to your medical problems.
|

replied February 20th, 2014
Ive had these spasms for a few years now on and off. tried all the usual treatments but none have worked. I get pain in my lower back, I bulging spasm just off centre where my ribs start at the rear and a pain through the ribs towards the front. some times it takes my breathe away like ive been winded other times it creeps up on me.

PSOAS MUSCLE IS MY NEXT LINE OF INVESTIGATION.

I have read up and will try to relieve my psoas through stretching and varying my sleeping position. I sleep on my stomach with a leg raised up to side. my favourite side to sleep is the same side it get pains.
|

replied October 27th, 2014
Wow, Mine just started today. Was on here looking for answers, I'm guessing no one here has found any yet? 44 years old and it just hit out of the blue this morning in my upper back. I can't breath when it hits.
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2014
Hello after I went for a deep tissue massage my whole back went into spasms and that was over a month ago it was the middle back mostly near the rib cages went tight and stiff was given muscle relaxers and ibrofen both help heat helps to ice willl just make you go stiffer you need to loosen up my doctors asked for me to have a mri to see why this has happened but she did alot of painful pressing up and down my spine and I am pretty sure its caused it
|