Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Nausea Forum

Stomach/duodenal peptic ulcer?

Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....
User Profile
I am at my wits end with what is ailing me. Over 6 months ago I went to the doctor for pain I was having jsut below my rib cage in the middle where the V shape is. It felt like pressure and I didnt like things touching me there...it felt uncomfortable. I have to sleep with a pillow against my stomach and chest to feel comfortable on my side as it supports me somewhat. The doctor took X-rays, a CT scan, and a ultra-sound. They told me they couldnt find anything wrong with me and it was all in my head...or so they inferred. They game me hydrocodine as I told them it was hard for me to sleep and also ranitadine (sp?) in case it was an ulcer.

Fast forward to the present.

For awhile I felt better and the pain meds really helped but I no longer take them. I have had several bouts of nausea where I feel clamy and just not right in the middle of the night. I get up and take some pepto-bismol and it helps. Ive thrown-up a couple of times...usually it is just stomach acid and once I just burped really loud.

Im not pregnant...but the nausea comes and goes. Sometimes I don't even want to eat and I feel I have lost some weight over the time I havent been feeling well due to not eating enough bc I dont feel well.

Recently the pain below my rib cage has come back and I would really like some kind of idea of what could be wrong with me. I cant afford a million tests again just to hear "we cant find anything wrong with you!" and get sent on my way again. My insurrance is not that good and I barely make enough to cover my normal bills. The pain seems to be all across the bottom of my rib cage as of last night. It's not sharpe but more like a dull pain that is tiring. I feel like Ive been holding my stomach in forever and my muscles are just really tired. The middle area below my rib cage is especially sensitive as well. No matter what position I am in, I feel discomfort..sitting,standing,laying down...there is no escape for me.

My husband just thinks its an ulcer but Ive been taking pepto-bismol for 3 weeks twice a day now and the nuasea seems better but the pain is not. He wants me to take some other ulcer medication but I just dont know what to do.

Please help! If you can give me any idea what this is I would greatly appreciate any advice/help you can give me. I know you cant diagnose me but any kind of direction as to where to go to get help/find out what's wrong with me without making me go bankrupt would be great.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2007
Nausea Answer A2247
According to the symptoms (dull pain below the ribcage in the middle that lasts for more than 6 months), you could be experiencing a peptic ulcer. The medical examinations you've performed (X-ray image, CT-scan and ultrasound-scan) can’t reveal a stomach or duodenal peptic ulcer... if there is any. Peptic ulcers can be confirmed or excluded only via a gastroscopy. Other diseases of the stomach or duodenum such as tumors, inflammations, hiatus hernia, diverticulum etc. can also be revealed with a gastroscopy. Blood analyses for Helicobacter pillory can be also done. You can consult an internist about the condition immediately to seek diagnostic procedures, diagnosis, and treatment.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Nausea , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.