Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Smoking Is Actually Very Good For You - the Evidence (Page 1)

Tobacco the definative link in healthy aging.
Introduction:
it is a fact, all of the world's oldest living people are classified as chain-smokers[1]. A few of them drink daily[2], one of them even smokes marijuana[3]. As a researcher by profession, posed with these facts, I have done much searching for the exact reasons why tobacco, among other taboo things, may be good for you.. This article is meant to explain that which I have found in a non-partison fashion.
The pro's: tobacco
nicotine in tobacco is analogous to vitamin b3 (niacin) [4] the discovery of vitamin b3 was through tobacco research, and nicotine (nicotinic acid) is also present in foods such as tomato, spinach, eggplant. The brain contains receptors designed to receive nicotine specifically. As it also contains special receptors called "cannibinoid receptors, these receptors are affected by chocolate and marijuana in a very similar fashion. Vast quantities of chocolate is known to produce a "marijuana like high". It is not a surprise that the worlds oldest documented person consumed 2 pounds of chocolate a week. [5] tobacco tar is known to swedish researchers to actually prevent lung cancer, protect against the damaging effects of asbestos, and cure asthma. I will provide the references to all of these studies upon request. Some of them will be readily available here [6] an hiv-positive british man tested negative to hiv after visiting native american shamans in the amazons. He is reported to have drank on 6 different occasions a tobacco-based "beer" produced by the shamans. I had read this story years ago and am unable to find it again, if anyone does come across this please let me know at dandate2@yahoo.Com
the cons: tobacco
a person is logged as a premature smoking death no matter what age he dies, including the worlds oldest living people, meaning that if you smoke and die of any disease you will feed the junk statistics paid for by the pharmaceutical companies which attempt to brainwash people into thinking that smoking is bad for them [10]. They do this so that you will succumb to disease and be dependent on medication, be dependant on nicotine patches, and not live long enough to sustain an ample amount of retiremant checks. All research that shows tobacco is bad is paid for by pharmaceuticals, we can only trust the truth, all of the worlds oldest living people were smokers[1], nicotine is a vitamin [4], smoking cures a wide array of diseases[6]. Most tobacco today is polluted with harmful chemicals, however there is organic/natural tobacco available on the market. The damage posed by dangerous chemicals added to tobacco is actually shown by new studies claiming that marijuana smoking is not linked to lung cancer [11]. The obvious explanation being that marijuana is typically not treated with such chemicals.
The pro's: alcohol
some of the worlds oldest living people were considered "moderate drinkers". Moderate drinking means 1-3 glasses of alcohol a day. The queen elizabeth lived 100 years drinking gin cocktails and smoking cigarettes daily. "unfiltered" beer is chalk full of b-vitamins, it is known as "liquid bread".[8] moderate drinking is known to provide over 50 different health benefits[9].
The cons: alcohol
most alcohol on the market is cheap and shitty (no reference needed). Filtered beer is crap, most alcohol is polluted with preservatives and chemical flavorings. For a good drink, buy quality gin that has been distilled at least 3 times. I.E. "bombay sapphire", mix it with all natural tonic water and squeeze some grapefruit juice into it. Or try drinking unfiltered beer for a real health experience.
Summary:
read my sources, light up, have a drink, encourage your children to smoke.
References:
1: the evidence - world's oldest - all smokers http://www.Forces.Org/evidence/hamilton/ot her/oldest.Htm
2:biography of madame jeanne calment http://www.Biogs.Com/famous/calment.Html
3. 120 year-old woman claims smoking pot every day is her secret to long life. Http://clipmarks.Com/clipmark/bf42971b-82e d-4e28-ad4c-854caf51629b/
4. Encyclopedia entry for vitamin b3 (niacin) http://en.Wikipedia.Org/wiki/niacin
5: a reference of biographical information regarding jeanne calment and her consumption of chocolate. Http://www.Imminst.Org/forum/index.Php?S=& amp;act=st&f=1&t=4845&st=0& ;#entry44009
6. Smokers paradoxes, the health benefits of smoking http://en.Wikipedia.Org/wiki/tobacco_smoki ng#health_benefits_of_smoking
8.Vitamin b sources, wikipedia http://en.Wikipedia.Org/wiki/vitamin_b#vit amin_b_sources
9. Alcohol and health http://www2.Potsdam.Edu/hansondj/alcoholan dhealth.Html
10. Tobacco will kill 1 billion this century http://www.Foxnews.Com/story/0,2933,202810 ,00.Html?Spage=fnc.Health/cancer
11. Pot smoking not linked to lung cancer http://www.Entheology.Org/edoto/anmviewer. Asp?A=246&z=9
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 26th, 2007
Experienced User
This is from one of your sources

"health benefits of smoking
while smoking is synonymous with damaging one's health, a few marginal health benefits have been observed in smokers, reducing their risk of several diseases. It should be noted that the increased risk of terminal illness from habitual smoking is still widely believed to outweigh the benefits and should not be taken as evidence that smoking is healthful or beneficial overall.

"
i think common sense would say that smoking is not a natural thing for the body. Breathing in smoke surely can not be good for you at all. That thick black smoke that soots up your clothes, room, etc. You can not possibly be arguing that smoking is good for you.

There might be some benefits, but those benefits can be gotten in other ways. Smoking is not the only answer. No matter if it is organic cigarettes or not, smoke is smoke. Humans were not meant to be breathing in smoke on a regular basis.

Common sense that is all it takes. When we over think things, or try to rationalize for our mistakes, we get arugments like up above. Common sense will trump arguments for smoking any day.
|

replied January 26th, 2007
In regards to your comment on common sense. Milton berle once said, "if george burns can live 105 years smoking 20 cigars a day since the age of 12, why should I worry if it is bad for me?".
|

replied January 27th, 2007
Experienced User
You have to be joking. That is like every smoker using the "my uncle fred smoked until he died at the age of 99 excuse". Every smoker knows of an uncle fred. Funny thing, is uncle fred is more myth than fact. Sure some live and smoke their whole lives, and smoke hard. But consider how many fell to cigarettes. Their numbers are much greater.

If you compare all the "uncle freds" to all the people out there dying of lung cancer or have died of lung cancer from smoking(during uncle fred's life time), one will see where common sense lies. I have no doubt that there are way more smokers who have died from cigars/cigarettes than there are geroge burns.

Again, common sense. I do not need a quote from some star(and who are they that we should be taking advice about our health) to tell me that if I put my hand on a burner it is going to hurt. Common sense will tell you that. So why is it so hard to believe that breathing in smoke, which is not natural, will cause you harm. Again common sense that is all it takes.

Common sense and mother nature can not be argued with or beaten.
|

Experienced User
The only thing that I know that it helps with is motor tics that occur in tourettes syndrome.
|

Experienced User
Understand what you are saying in terms of this" motor tics that occur in tourettes syndrome.". I think your spelling might be wrong. Not sure, but hey. I am pretty sure.,

"""it"". What is "it". Smoking, or nicotene?? Are we talking abour cigars, or cigarettes?? If you wanna pipe in here please be able to keep up with the conversation.

The phrase you are looking for is "turrets syndrome". And as far as nicotene is concerened when it comes to turrets, please provide some proof.

Yes, there are things that nicotene might be able to fix(i have my doubts, but will withhold judgment), but anyone with half a brian should be able to realize that smoking crap is not the best way to have nicotene enter your body.

Funny thing is the oringinator of this post said that "smoking is actually very good for you - the evidence
" which is very stupid to even start to believe in. Smoking is not good for you at all. Anyone trying to get off of nicotene addiction should not believe in such fairy tales.

Smoking is not natural, and therefore not healthy. Is eating rocks natural??? No. ....Right? So, how in the hell can smoking nicotene, a poison, be healthy for you. By simple fact, it is a poison to the human body, therefore, it can not be healthy.

Is this as good as it is going to get Rolling Eyes
|

replied February 24th, 2007
Experienced User
LOL

I see DanDate made it over to here to talk about his slant on smoking being good for you. He was at another doing the same thing. So easily explainable to debunk what he says. I debunked it at another site.

You shouldn't sweat this guy so much.

By the way Makoto. Nicotine is spelled with an I not an E as in Nicotene.

Hajimemashite! Yoroshiku onegaishimasu
|

Experienced User
This post won't let me say hajimemashite?
|

Experienced User
Oic, it is because of the spelling in it spells an english bad word. I'll take out the letter I

Hajimemashte
|

Experienced User
ok dude you too lol
|

this is a retarded post....this person really wants to keep on smoking.
|

replied April 1st, 2007
Experienced User
Makoto wrote:
Understand what you are saying in terms of this" motor tics that occur in tourettes syndrome.". I think your spelling might be wrong. Not sure, but hey. I am pretty sure.,

"""it"". What is "it". Smoking, or nicotene?? Are we talking abour cigars, or cigarettes?? If you wanna pipe in here please be able to keep up with the conversation.

The phrase you are looking for is "turrets syndrome". And as far as nicotene is concerened when it comes to turrets, please provide some proof.

Yes, there are things that nicotene might be able to fix(i have my doubts, but will withhold judgment), but anyone with half a brian should be able to realize that smoking crap is not the best way to have nicotene enter your body.

Funny thing is the oringinator of this post said that "smoking is actually very good for you - the evidence
" which is very stupid to even start to believe in. Smoking is not good for you at all. Anyone trying to get off of nicotene addiction should not believe in such fairy tales.

Smoking is not natural, and therefore not healthy. Is eating rocks natural??? No. ....Right? So, how in the hell can smoking nicotene, a poison, be healthy for you. By simple fact, it is a poison to the human body, therefore, it can not be healthy.

Is this as good as it is going to get Rolling Eyes

My spelling is correct. It is also correct to say that smoking helps with motor tics. The way in which you take it is up to you.

As for proof, Google is your friend.
|

replied April 2nd, 2007
Experienced User
LMAO,

You still trying to make it sound like smoking is good for you?

Smoking is not good for you. Get over it! Smoking is not good for tourettes syndrome.

Small amounts of nicotine helps with tourettes syndrome. It is not smoking. It is nicotine. You don't need to smoke to get nicotine.

Reseach has shown that LSD may help people with mental issues, but that doesn't mean you advocate dropping acid.

Smoking is bad for you, period. Even natural tobacco.

The combustion of natural tobacco causes the person to inhale carbon monoxide and 400 other carcinogens and poisons.

Including but not limited to hydrogen cyanide, ammonia and carcinogenic hydrocarbons.

This isn't from additives. This is from the combustion of NATURAL TOBACCO.

Get over it!
|

replied April 3rd, 2007
Experienced User
UCanQuit wrote:
LMAO,

You still trying to make it sound like smoking is good for you?

Smoking is not good for you. Get over it! Smoking is not good for tourettes syndrome.

Small amounts of nicotine helps with tourettes syndrome. It is not smoking. It is nicotine. You don't need to smoke to get nicotine.

Reseach has shown that LSD may help people with mental issues, but that doesn't mean you advocate dropping acid.

Smoking is bad for you, period. Even natural tobacco.

The combustion of natural tobacco causes the person to inhale carbon monoxide and 400 other carcinogens and poisons.

Including but not limited to hydrogen cyanide, ammonia and carcinogenic hydrocarbons.

This isn't from additives. This is from the combustion of NATURAL TOBACCO.

Get over it!

I do not even smoke.

Of course it is the nicotine that helps, but there is no need to point out every little detail.

Nodody apart from the thread starter (who is obviously winding you lot up) is claiming that it is good for one's health in the ultimate sense.
|

replied April 3rd, 2007
Experienced User
Actually, I thought you were Dandate under a different nic.
|

replied April 3rd, 2007
Experienced User
UCanQuit wrote:
Actually, I thought you were Dandate under a different nic.

Ah, I thought so. That was unfortunate.

Well, my post was just a chime in on a topic that I briefly skimmed over. Because it was my first time on this particular forum I assumed that this was the sort of discussion that you guys usually get.

Obviously my comments were very inappropriate in a forum designed for support purposes.

I did not realize that I was feeding a troll.

My sincere apologies.
|

replied June 14th, 2007
organic weed, and tobacco and natural stuff like that arent as bad for you, but when you get the nicotine and tar and !**@! like that, thats what kills you. even just the heat from the cigarette burns your insides and messed up your immune systems and stuff, so nothing about smoking can be good.
|

replied June 21st, 2007
Experienced User
These pro smoking statements are basically slants to make smoking look like it might be good for you. While some of it might be true. It is in a context that doesn't tell the whole story.

It is true that niacin was discovered in nicotine. Also it is true that nicotine is in nightshade foods such as potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants etc.

WhyQuit.com as an article talking about this.

Yes there is nicotine in night shade foods. The amount though is so small that there is no effect. It is a trace amount. It is so small in fact that when it was discovered in nightshade foods that they thought that the farmers might be using nicotine as a pesticide since it is naturally the tobacco's plant insecticide.

It is possible that if a person ate a very large amount of nightshades that cotonine( a byproduct of nicotine showing that nicotine has been metabolized) might be present. To be clear though, the actual nicotine would be so small it wouldn't cause the effect of withdrawal.

Also nightshade foods can be bad for people. Nightshade foods are the natural foods that seem to give people the most problems. People who suffer from arthritis, bursitis, eczema, acid reflux disease, lupus and many other diseases and conditions, are reccomended to remove all nightshade foods from their diet. Once nightshade foods are eliminated from their diet, a lot of people report improvemnet of their ailments.

While in trace amounts nicotine is no big deal, just like flouride, in larger amounts it becomes toxic. 60mg of nicotine(3 drops) can kill a person. So to use smoking as a health benefit is deceptive at the very least and saying it is dangerous is an understatement. It is like saying swallowing larger amounts of flouride is going to make your teeth stronger. When in reality, flouride makes a great rat poison.

To tell someone to smoke to get Vitamin B3 is ridiculous. Niacin and nicotine actually create different effects. Niacin increases the diameter of veins promoting better blood flow. That's why some people become flush when they take it. Nicotine on the other hand, restricts arteries. It raises the heartbeat by around 20 beats a minute and a chemical interaction in the body causes the body to release it's own stored fats and cholesterols. The carbon monoxide from combustable tobacco (natural or not) poisons the blood's ability to carry oxygen. A smoker who is thin, will probably have a higher bad cholesterol count and higher blood pressure and poorer circulation

People can get there daily need of Niacin just from eating fish and poultry. You don't need to smoke to do it. Smoking actually hampers Vitamin C. Also eating fish will give the person the essential oils they need.

Don't be too hyped up about Niacin. Niacin itself can be dangerous. If people continue to take Niacin at higher doses. Doses that it is sold at in drug stores, it can cause liver damage. Niacin in natural foods is enough.

We do not have receptors specifically made to receive nicotine. They are specifically made for the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Nicotine mimics this and it releases a large amount of dopamine. Sound positive? Well the problem is, the brain needs to regulate this. It cannot regulate nicotine as it is a foreign substance(poison) so it has no other choice but to turn down it's own sensitvity to acetylcholine. This make the smoker rely a lot more on the cigarette to feel good or more accurately, feel nicotine normal. I see no benefit to hamper our own natural neurotransmitters only to rely on a poison to give us a false sense of accomplishment. To make us think we feel better when we do smoke.

Smoking does not make people calm. It only relieves withdrawal. A withdrawal that was never there before we smoked. This is what smokers focus on. The relief of withdrawal instead of realizing it was the previous cigarette that created the stress.

Read my post on Stress and quitting and you'll see the illusion that smoking causes smokers to believe about this.

I don't know about Swedish researchers and their findings, but nicotine hamper's Vitamin A and new research has shown that nicotine on it's own can malform cells, and might be tied to at least one form of lung cancer. Also most deaths are from circulatory conditions and not Cancer.

Now as far as asthma. I have a friend who by the way is a triplet. He smokes a lot of marijuana. He suffers from asthma. His other 2 brothers do not smoke. They have no problems. Their sister smokes cigarettes. She suffers from asthma. Coincedence?

Also their is a disease almost exclusive to smokers called Buergers Disease. It is a circulatory condition that causes loss of circulation, gagne green and amputation of extremeties. The interesting thing though is that when the person quits smoking before gagne green sets in. The condition usually fully reverses itself, but once they start to smoke again the condition comes back very quickly and with full force.

You can't argue with the fact that natural tobacco is better than major label brand cigarettes. When you remove most of the chemicals it will make smoking safer, but it will not make smoking safe.

Smoking kills cilia. Natural tobacco or not. By saying that firewood is harsher or that people cooked with it, doesn't make a valid point that smoking is good for you. Even if it is true, at best it says that smoking is not as bad as huffing away on firewood. Saying one thing is bad does not make another thing good.

He mentioned that smokers were the most social people you know. He's right, smoking is social, when you're around other smokers! Other than that, I see smokers as being some of the most anti social people around.

The HIV case is not the first that a person has had it and then become HIV negative. There are reports on this and researchers have found that it might have to do with some people having a missing part of a chromosome. This makes it so the HIV virus cannot attach itself to the cell and it ends up dying. The HIV virus needs a host. Scientists believe that it is the same missing link that makes it so that some people seem immune to chicken pox.

While research has shown that small amounts of nicotine produces positive reactions in research to people suffering from Parkinson's and Alzheimers and even Schizophrenia. One thing to note. Smoking has been tied to memory loss and depression. Most shizophrenics are smokers and 70% of those smokers are heavy smokers. So what came first? The chicken or the egg?

Even if there are no health hazards to smoking (hypothetically). Is being addicted to a substance a way to live. Is Smelling like smoke sounding appealing? Is paying thousands of dollars a year to smoke, for the rest of your life a great way to spend your money? Even if there weren't hazards to smoking, a person is still left with negatives about smoking.

He gives a few examples of people living long lives. There are 50,000 centurions in America. Out of all of them how many do you really think smoke? My great grandad lived until he was 97. He didn't smoke.My step great aunt is still going strong at 95 right now. She detests it. The real facts are that people's life spans are starting to become longer in general.

From my own personal experience, my life has become so much better since I quit smoking. I feel better. I have been able to buy new things for myself. I have more energy. I can breathe way better. I feel more confident and calm. I'm experiencing life alot more now. How bout you fellow non smokers?

Even if smoking did make a person live longer, who wants to live longer when they're not living life each day to the fullest? I have saved over 10,000 by not smoking. 10,000 dollars?! I would have spent over 10,000 for what?! Nothing!!

Eric
|

replied August 6th, 2007
Closet Smoker
I have smoked about 1 pack of cigarettes per week. A far cry from some who smoke multiple packs per day. I suppose I could justify the minimal amount I smoke but I would be fooling myself. I had my last cigarette last Thursday. Since I smoked so little I have not had the the physical withdrawals others may have. With me it's more psychological then physical. I just take it one day at a time and keep thinking of the positive aspects of quitting: my health and staying healthy for my family.

My father is 78 and he has smoked about 3 to 4 packs a day since he was a teenager. He's in good health and it would be easy for me to say my one pack per week is nothing compared to his usage. But I can't. Everyone is different. It's all in the genes. Sure, maybe I could keep smoking and there would never be any long term negative effects but I don't know that. I've decided not to take the chance.

I expect I'll have some bumps in the road but in the long run I'm confident that I will never again light up. Very Happy
|

replied November 10th, 2007
ROFL ****, i gave up a year ago but im gonna start agin now.
yeah!
|
12 >>