Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms Forum

Iud- Late Period (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Sad I have been on the copper iud for a year now since the birth of my third child. My period has come almost exectly every 28 days ever since. My period is now 6 days late and 2 days ago I had a physical and my pregnancy test was negative. Kepp in mind-i do have an iud in place.
What could be going on with me?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rjjmz94
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
You should speak to your doctor about this. I have a mirena coil in and haven't had a period for moths but when I had the copper coil in my periods were heavy yet irregular.

If you have had a negative pregnancy test then chances are you're not pregnant

this website says a possible side effect of paragaurd is delayed menstration

http://www.Contracept.Info/iud-paragard.Ph p

(change all letters to lower case)

so perhaps that is what this is.

Good luck!!!
|

replied November 17th, 2009
I'm having the same thing. Mine is 2 weeks late. My first test was invalid (quite a scare) and second negative. I'm hoping it's just irregularity or stress related, but another pregnancy test should help. I also just started spotting so maybe this is a sign of my period coming??
at the end of the day my thought is: why does birth control have to mess with our bodies so much? why do women have to go through so much fear and anticipation on a regular basis? how is it that men get completely excused from this experience? there has to be a better way to do this.
|

replied December 5th, 2009
what was outcome?
what ended up happening with both of you? I am going through this now and very nervous. i have a paragard iud for the past year, since the birth of my third child. have been regular, every 30 days for the last few months. now am 35 days. scared to take a pregnancy test...
|

replied January 5th, 2010
i have paragard too, i've had it for 4 years now. instead of getting a period this month, i just got brown discharge, with a little bit of blood spotting. it's been going on for about 2 1/2 weeks.
|

replied April 18th, 2013
What ever happened? I'm going through the exact same thing right now...
|

replied January 25th, 2010
copper coil/pregnant?
i have had my copper coil since the 1st september 09! i am now 17 days late for my period, and my last period was 11th december, and 11th november my one before so my last period was to the day! im so worried, i have done 3 pregnancy tests, 1st didnt work and the other two came back negative, but still have no sign of a period. i feel sick and have sore boobs but i done know if that is my mind playing tricks on me. any help?
kirsty
|

replied January 31st, 2010
Hi,
Just so woried about myself too, my period is 1 week late and has never happened to me before, i have always had my period every month no miss and its scarey....have no symptoms of pregnancy, scared to take a pregnancy test??
Could i be pregnant? or am i stressed??
|

replied October 5th, 2012
i'm pretty worried myself .. period is 6 days late now & ever since i've had this the past 7 months, my periods have been right on the dot every time. now ive just been waiting around for it to come.. i've been experiencing very very light cramp here and there but no menstruation.. i honestly don't know what to think. i'll be damned if i take a pregnancy test & find out its positive. after resorting to this since its supposively over 99% effective. completely not ready for another child. so praying to god that it just comes... :/
|

replied February 26th, 2010
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have a paraguard iud as well since the birth of my first child, and I have always been super regular. This time however, I am also a few days late with no sign of my body wanting to start. But I definitely don't feel pregnant either, and my body shows signs of pregnancy EARLY. I had the flu earlier this month and think that's what's throwing me off. So many different things can throw your body off even if you are very regular usually. While it is possible, getting pregnant with an iud is extremely rare, so I would trust the pregnancy tests you take. If you're still concerned, your doctor should be able to put your mind at ease.
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2010
1 week late with my period with IUD
Hi,

well im going through the same thing, a week ago i was spotting brown stuff for 3days. sunday i was feeling cramps but no sign of my period coming and lately i been dizzy i be blacking out. im not ready to have another child my daughter will be 1 next month! im nervous......
|

replied August 14th, 2011
You should go get checked for your thyroid. I had the same symptoms and It ended up being an overactive thyroid. Actually to be specific-Graves disease. I would black out, get dizzy, have wacky-cracky periods, and feel naseated all the time. It has almost the same symptoms of a pregnancy because there was weight gain, vomiting, headaches, and tenderness everywhere ah yes, sleeping all the time. I do not sleep during the day either. But long story short the thyroid messes up your entire body's clock and you should definately seek a physician that is willing to listen to the symptoms. A T4 and TSH test will determine what the thyroid levels are and depending on those, will determine what the next step is. Good luck to all who read this!
|

replied August 14th, 2011
You should go get checked for your thyroid. I had the same symptoms and It ended up being an overactive thyroid. Actually to be specific-Graves disease. I would black out, get dizzy, have wacky-cracky periods, and feel naseated all the time. It has almost the same symptoms of a pregnancy because there was weight gain, vomiting, headaches, and tenderness everywhere ah yes, sleeping all the time. I do not sleep during the day either. But long story short the thyroid messes up your entire body's clock and you should definately seek a physician that is willing to listen to the symptoms. A T4 and TSH test will determine what the thyroid levels are and depending on those, will determine what the next step is. Good luck to all who read this!
|

replied March 18th, 2010
hi has anyone had an answer yet I'm the same had copper coil for a year my periods can b a few days late however I was due a week past mon would have been the 8th. I have done4 test s and all negative. can anyone help
|

replied November 25th, 2011
Did it turn out you were pregnant or can I ask what happened?
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2010
Copper IUD...late Period ?!!
When i find out the answer i will let you know because i actually am worried about the same thing so reading these responses were making me feel better that i was not alone. I had a copper IUD put in some time in the end of Jan. My baby girl (first one) is ONLY 31/2 months old so im DEFF. not ready to have another...plus i had a hernia from the pregnancy so had surgery where a mesh was out in where my belly button is about 1 month ago.....i hope my period comes soon. Yesterday i was cramping also but idk!! Sad
|

replied April 20th, 2010
2 weeks late
Hi
Im late 2 weeks and I have a copper IUD ive tooken 3 tests all negitive my breasts are sore i sleep alot and I never sleep during the day soo not like me !! Im eating just anything in sight i dont know what to do my period has always came on time
|

replied May 8th, 2011
What ever happened to this? I am struggling with so much nausea, vomitting, dizziness yet two pregnancy tests were negative. I would not mind being pregnant, but what? Let me know thanks
|

replied April 21st, 2010
3 weeks late
Same thing for me. Almost three weeks late. I''ve had my copper iud since for 6 months and been on time every month. I''m having horrible cramps, sore boobs, but no period.
|

replied April 21st, 2010
oh and I took two prego tests and both came back negative - there's nothing else that would delay my period..
|

replied April 28th, 2010
Wondering if I should have a blood pregnancy test done!
I''ve had my Mirena IUD for almost a year now after having my 1st child. My period has been every 28 days. Very heavy though. Now it was due on the 23rd, I've been cramping for over a week now and still isn't here. I took a test, it was negative. IDK what to do!??!
|

replied May 4th, 2010
I'm in a similar situation as some of you.... I'm hoping someone has figured out what is going on, please let me know!

I've had the paragard IUD for about 6 months now. Since I had the IUD inserted all of my period were regular and had the same exact symptoms (some spotting, horrible cramps, very heavy flow at first which tapered off, some spotting, and then being completely gone). My last period came about a week late and I had very few symptoms and practically no cramps. This period the flow has been relatively light, no cramps, and it's been about 2.5 weeks long. Does anyone have any idea what is going on??
|

replied April 18th, 2013
What was the outcome?
|

replied May 4th, 2010
Re: Wondering if I should have a blood pregnancy test done!
Desy1784 wrote:
I''ve had my Mirena IUD for almost a year now after having my 1st child. My period has been every 28 days. Very heavy though. Now it was due on the 23rd, I've been cramping for over a week now and still isn't here. I took a test, it was negative. IDK what to do!??!

Now its been a week and a half since my period was due. I took a total of 5 test, as stated before the 1st was negative. The last 4 were positive, but the pregnancy line was faint on all of them. I go to the docs on Thursday, so I hope they can clear the air for me. Wish me luck!
|

replied May 4th, 2010
Especially eHealthy
Good luck.
|

replied May 11th, 2010
Re: Wondering if I should have a blood pregnancy test done!
Desy1784 wrote:
Desy1784 wrote:

Now its been a week and a half since my period was due. I took a total of 5 test, as stated before the 1st was negative. The last 4 were positive, but the pregnancy line was faint on all of them. I go to the docs on Thursday, so I hope they can clear the air for me. Wish me luck!

I went to my appt last thurs. They did the pregnancy test, there's was pos as well. They started asking me questions. I informed them I had a mirena IUD. The nurse was in shock, idk why. The doctor came in, said we usually won't do a sono if you're continuing pregnancy, but because you have an IUD I want to. While she did the pelvic exam, she said she could still see the strings of my IUD. She says usually when you get pregnant and your IUD is still in place, it's an ectopic pregnancy. The doc did the intravaginal ultrasound, didn't see the baby growin in my uterus. She sends me to the ER, they draw my blood, and do a sono. They said my hcg level wasnt high enough for a normal pregnancy, and its looks like the sac is growin in my left tube. In the ER they give me a shot of Methotrexate, to dissolve the baby, so that they won't have to surgically remove it. I had my blood drawn again yesterday to see if the shot was working, my level more than tripled, which means it isnt. I am still not in any pain or bleeding. They don't know why and Im 6wks and 3 days. I am to go back tomorrow for another blood draw and sono. Then from there they will decide if I should get a 2nd dose of the shot or surgery. I can't wait for all of this to be over!!!
|

replied June 8th, 2010
I have had my paragard IUD since ny daughter was 7 weeks old. It was inserted during my monthly cycle and my cycles have been running like clock work every 28 days. Now in the month of May I have not had a cycle and its about to be the second week in June. I took a pregnany test, it came back negeative. What could be happening to me? I was told initially that I should have a regular cycle bacuse my iud has no hormone. Or could it be stress? A change in cycle?
|