Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

the Day I Found Out I Was Prego.... If Ur Interested/

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Hey

I wrote this when I was I think 34 weeks prego with dominick it was something I had to do for school...

The event that will change my life forever is the day I found out I was pregnant.
On april 19 2003 I was hanging out with my friend sophia and had been for the week prior .She wanted to go get a pregnancy test as well as get her eye checked out. She thought she had pink eye. So at about 12:30 we headed down to a clinic in new westminster and both us of a took a pregnancy test. I hadn’t planned on taking one beacuse I didn’t think I had anything to worry about. I took one because sophia didn’t want to do it alone. After about 20 minutes of waiting to see the doctor. The doctor told us our results. Sophia was negative but I was positive, meaning I was pregnant. When the doctor read my result I thought it was sophia saying positive not the doctor. So I asked the doctor to repeat my result, still positive. I was shocked I didn’t know what to say or what to do.
The doctor then asked me if I had any idea what I wanted to do, which I didn’t. So she told me she was going to give me a referral to get an ultrasound done to find out my dates. In case I decided to go down the road of abortion. She gave me the paper then wrote sophia’s prescription for her eye and we left to go get it filled. When we were walking to the london drugs sophia started asking me what I am going to do. If I was mad upset or anything. At that point I didn’t really know what to say or do. I was in complete shock. After getting sophia’s prescription filled I said I wanted to call my mom. I wasn’t going to tell her but to wish her a happy birthday. It was my mom’s birthday that day. So I went to a pay phone and called her. She asked me if something was wrong I said I was fine we talked and then we hung up. The next thing I wanted to do was to call james and let him know that I was pregnant.
When I called james I started chickening out of telling him. He finally asked me why I had called because he had to head to work. I told him I had just found out I was pregnant the first thing he said to me is it mine? When he said this I got mad and upset. I told him that I am getting an ultrasound done in a couple days to find out how far along I am. When he said something back it seemed like he didn’t care. I got mad and hung up on him. I couldn’t believe that he was acting so unaffected. Sophia told me not to worry about him right now.
Sophia and I went back to her house and told her mom that I had found out I was pregnant. Her mom was supportive and told me that if I wanted she would come with me to the ultrasound. I didn’t want anyone to come with me. I called the clinic and set up an appointment for april 21st at 10am. I got up at about 830 and started drinking my liquids. At about 9:15 I left sophia’s house but I then realized I had no clue where I was going. When I finally found the place I got really upset and had to calm down in the bathroom for a couple minutes. I went in and got my ultrasound done. After the ultrasound was done they asked me whom they could send the information to. They first asked for my family doctor. I couldn’t tell them because then it would get back to my mom and I didn’t want her knowing until I decided what I was going to do. So I told them to send it to doctor sung. She was the doctor at the clinic where I got tested..
I wanted to go home after that so I hoped on the sky train to\surrey central and called my mom from a payphone asking her if she would come and pick me up. She said she would but would be 45 minutes. I was fine with that I wanted to go talk to james anyway. So I walked to james’s house and he seemed shocked to see me. When I got there, I told him we need to talk. We started talking about me being pregnant and what I was going to do. He immediately said he didn’t want it and to get an abortion. I couldn’t believe he thought that was the only possible thing we could do. He asked me how far along I was. At that point I had no clue because they hadn’t told me. All I knew was that I was over 4 weeks pregnant. He then asked again if it was his. And I said yes it is. He then continued to go on about how he doesn’t want it and how the only option was to get an abortion. Getting frustrated I called my mom. She was only 5 minutes away so I said I would meet her up the street. I told james I was leaving and I would keep in touch and then I left.
The car ride home with my mom was awkward I had the sense she knew something was up. She asked me if I had received my period while I was at sophia’s I told her I had gotten it the week before. She didn’t seem to believe me. When we got home I went straight to sleep and slept for the rest of the day. Over the next few days I received a phone call from the clinic I went to saying the doctor wanted to see me. I couldn’t though because I didn’t know what I was going to tell my parents. The following week I talked to my counselor at school and told her I was pregnant and didn’t know what to do. She suggested I go to planned parenthood. She took me a couple days later. Planned parenthood got the ultrasound information faxed over. As it turned out I was 6 weeks and 4 days at the time the ultrasound was done. This was 3 weeks later so I was almost 10 weeks. Wanda told me I should tell my parents but I didn’t want to because I was to scared I thought my mom would be so mad at me.

I never told my mom. One friday morning at about 10am she came into my room and she had been crying. I asked her what was wrong but she said nothing. I told her not to lie to me she had been crying. She came over and sat on my bed and looked at me all funny so I asked her what’s wrong. She asked me what I was most scared of her knowing. She asked me if I was pregnant. The first thing I said was who told you? She told me she had a feeling with the way I had been acting and with my supposed period I got and the calls from the clinics that she thought I was pregnant. She told me it was fine and we would work through it. She told me we are going to go to dr heffener’s to get my anti depressant checked out. She said even though I didn’t know what I was going to do we are going to do it the right way from the beginning. So we went to the doctors and got my meds checked out and got prenatal vitamins.
We talked more about what I am going to do and james’s feelings on the pregnancy. She told me that she wasn’t going to tell anyone until I have made the decision. She told my step dad though which was fine. We also set it out that I have 2 weeks to make a decision. She said that way if I chose abortion I could still do it. After talking to many counselors and people and doing a lot of thinking I decided I was going to go through with the pregnancy and have the baby. My mom was excited and so was the rest of my family. My mom then contacted an ob/gyn who would see me throughout my pregnancy and for delivery. She got dr wagner. Dr wagner delivered me my brother and my sister so we had background with her and I felt comfortable with her.

My first appointment was kind of weird. We figured out dates and my due date. My due date is january 5th 2004. She weighed me took my blood pressure and tried to listen to the heartbeat. She couldn’t find anything. This worried me but she said that there are three possibilities of why she could not hear it. My uterus is tipped back making it hard to hear. I am not that far along. Or I have had a miss miscarriage. She decided to send me for an ultrasound to make sure everything is ok.I got my ultrasound done and everything was fine my baby was there and growing and his heart was beating he was also sucking his thumb. It was so neat to see. At the time I got my ultrasound I was 12 weeks and 6 days. I kept seeing my doctor regulary. I still do up to this day and I only have 6 weeks left before my son is born.

This event in my life is great one. Although it will affect the track my life will take for the worse and for the better.
How this will affect my life I am not quiet sure right now. It will only change my life as much as I let it. Some people have said to me o your life as a teenager is over no more partying and hanging out with friends. In my mind this is not all true. My life is not over. It just has its limits now. I can’t spend all my time talking to friends or hanging out with friends. I have to make some changes to my life but I am willing to make these changes. I don’t think I would be able to handle having a child or even being pregnant if it weren’t for the support I have from family and close friends. Going through something like this really shows you who care about you and who don’t. I think this has also showed me just how determined I can be and determination is always a good quality to have. So when people make comments like your ruining your life, and u have no idea what your getting into, and she should’ve chose adoption. I just say your wrong. This isn’t going to ruin my life, no one ever knows what their getting into when they have a child and the adoption one I think the smarter more responsible people chose to keep their children, to my adoption and abortion is the easy way out, you made a mistakes now its time to take responsibility for your mistake.

I am incredibly excited about this event in my life and I would say to any other person in my situation or who will be in my situation to remember nothing ends unless you let it and your mind is your own worst enemy.

Sorry its sooooooo long but I am going to be giving this to my son when he is old enough to understand whats in it... I am also going to write up my whole labour and delievery with him then write a summery of each year of his life till he is 10 and give it to him for his 16 bday I think its a cute idea

thanks for taking the time
christina
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 6th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Aw hun thats such a touching story* im glad u made the decsision to keep him* how old r u now by the way? I was so nervous to tell my parents but I remember, this was only 2 1/2 months ago when I told them.. I just came home and I was like "theres something I gotta tell u.. Ur going to be mad.. But u need to know... Im pregnant" just blurted out so blunt. Mine took it better then expected too. Anyhow goodluck and wow u only have 6 weeks left I cant imagine how excited u must be!!!!! Ah I still have 24 weeks left.. Seems like forever. Im 4 months n 1 day. Im happy for u cant wait till the baby gets here! O yea.. We had one thing in common.. My friend that I lived with was takin a pregnancy test (she thought she was, and wanted to be) and she asked me to take one with her.. So I did.. I had not a thought in my mind that I would be preg.. Sure enough , she was not, and I was!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Wow thats an interesting story. What happened to james? I thought your due date was january 5th? Did you already have your baby?
|

Extremely eHealthy
Arrow
|

Experienced User
Hey

hey kari I will be 17 in a month and a bit.. I already had my son I wrote that when I was 34 weeks...Keeping him was the decison I have ever made it was the hardest... Nikki yes I was due janaury 5th but he came exactly a week early dec 29 he is now 5 weeks and 4 days old soo cute and the father james well the dna test results r in the mail they should be on in monday they got mailed out this monday and they said 3 to 5 bisnuiss (spelling) days so it should be today friday which is wasnt I already checked the mail.. So monday:d cuz we dont get our mail delievered on weekends...All I know is james either way wants nothing to do with his son and thats fine cuz he doesnt deserve dominick... Dominick is looking more and more like james everyday now:sowell at least james isnt ugly lol!! Thanks for taking the time and reading it I appreciate it

christina and dominick
|

Experienced User
Omg that made me cry christina! I am so glad that you kept your son! He is so lucky to have you!

Kel
|

Experienced User
Thanks hun after I saw your post it reminded me of when I wrote that o by the way in the first paragraph I said april 19th it was actually may 19 my moms bday lol I am so smart lol
|

replied February 7th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Almost the same thing happened to me-twice!! When I got pregnant with the twins I took a pregnancy test just cause I was board on my lunch break and I knew there was a slight chance I could be but I didn't really think so. I took the test in the schoold bathroom and there was one line! I finished up and got my purse then I went to throw the pregnancy test in the garbage and there was 2 lines!!

I was pregnant one other time but I had a miscarriage. When I found out I had went to get a pregnancy test for my friend but the box had two, so I took one. Her's was negitive and mine was positive-that was a total shock!
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Anand J. Singh