Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Started Kaylee On Cereal :) (Page 1)

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
User Profile
Soo yesterday while I was shopping with my mom I picked up a box of rice cereal so I could start .Kaylee on it. Lastnight after looking some info up online about it, I gave some to her in her bottle. She did excellent with it but I didn't put much at all in the bottle .. I figure .I'm going to start off with very little to make sure she is going to be able to take it & then after like a week or so .I'll add a little more then eventually start feeding her by spoon. I only put 2 tablespoons of cereal in her bottle which was 5 oz. Do you guys think that's not enough at all or should I keep it at that for a while til she's used to it?

Today I *tried* to feed her a little bit by spoon but I don't think she's ready for that yet. Shane took a couple pictures though :d







.Michelle
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Awww!! Big girll!!!!!!!

How exciting!!!!!!!!! All of the baba's are growin up soooo fast!!!!

Sarah
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Crying or Very sad makes me sad, my baby girl is growin up Crying or Very sad

.Michelle
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Woooah, I just read...2 tablespoons is waaaaaaay tooo much to start her off on(in the bottle).

Do a lil at a time! Start with a tablespoon the 1st weeks and continually raise the amount little by little!

Reguardless, she'll be more rested between feedings cuz her belly will be fuller than with just formula!

Sarah
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
babymajic0506 wrote:
woooah, I just read...2 tablespoons is waaaaaaay tooo much to start her off on(in the bottle).

Do a lil at a time! Start with a tablespoon the 1st weeks and continually raise the amount little by little!


Reguardless, she'll be more rested between feedings cuz her belly will be fuller than with just formula!


Sarah


Shocked okay, thank you!!!

I haven't give her anymore yet today but i'll remember that for this next time.

I've noticed already that when she has the cereal in her baba, she's full after just a few ounces.

.Michelle
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Yea, that's probably because she's stuffed! Lol...It's cool though.

I said that because it can cause severe cramping if they're over stuffed and I don't want .Kaylee to be hurting! Crying or Very sad

sarah
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 25th, 2007
Experienced User
Are you sure you meant two tablespoons or two teaspoons, cause two tablespoons in a 5oz bottle that would be too thick for her to suck out of a regular nipple.......She probably stopped after a few oz because her little jaws were tired from having to suck so hard
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
She is one of the cutest babies i've ever seen!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
babymajic0506 wrote:
yea, that's probably because she's stuffed! Lol...It's cool though.

I said that because it can cause severe cramping if they're over stuffed and I don't want .Kaylee to be hurting! Crying or Very sad

sarah


.I really appreciate the advice. I'm so new at this it's unreal lol.


foxy wrote:
are you sure you meant two tablespoons or two teaspoons, cause two tablespoons in a 5oz bottle that would be too thick for her to suck out of a regular nipple.......She probably stopped after a few oz because her little jaws were tired from having to suck so hard



.No, it was 2 tablespoons. That's kinda why I thought it would be alright to do 2 because with one, it was almost as if nothing was added. I don't think it was too thick because I held it over the sink before I fed it to her & sqeezed the nipple & it came out just like normal formula. I'm defintly only doing 1 tablespoon from now on for a while though!

melissa_20 wrote:
she is one of the cutest babies i've ever seen!


.Aww thank you so much Smile .Can't wait to see pictures of your little one!

.Michelle
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2007
Community Volunteer
I know a lot of people do it, but I have heard from numerous different people, not to put it in the bottle.

But she'll get used to it soon! She looks so cute!!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
lil_blaze2004 wrote:
i know a lot of people do it, but I have heard from numerous different people, not to put it in the bottle.

But she'll get used to it soon! She looks so cute!!


.That's something I was kinda worried about. I asked my family & they said to just start her right off with feeding her with a spoon then a few friends of mine who have gone thru it all more recently told me to do it with a bottle first. So I just figured i'd try it my way first & if she doesn't do well with that i'll switch to a spoon.


When do they start learning (when they eat with a spoon) not to push it all right back out of their mouths with their tongue?

.Michelle
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
.Oni's Dr. Had us spoon feed .Oni her cereal at night.

But as she got older the risk of choking went down.

October, if you have to puncture the bottles, then you're adding too much. But, the playtex won't let *any* amount of cereal though. You'd have to use a fast flow nipple.

That could cause her to eat too fast, then vomit/cramp.

It's all about trial and error!! We're all new at this, in a way!!!

Sarah
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2007
Supporter
octoberbaby06 wrote:

melissa_20 wrote:
she is one of the cutest babies i've ever seen!


.Aww thank you so much Smile .Can't wait to see pictures of your little one!


.Michelle

hehe!! Melly isn't pregnant Laughing
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
babymajic0506 wrote:

october, if you have to puncture the bottles, then you're adding too much.


.Nope, I haven't had to do anything to the nipples! So I guess .I'm doing okay? Lol.

I seriously appreciate all the help you ladies give me on this forum!!

.Michelle
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
No problem girl!!! We've allll needed help at one point!
And i'm sure i'll need more pretty soon!!

Lol...That's mommyhood for ya!

Sarah
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
michelle1981 wrote:
octoberbaby06 wrote:

melissa_20 wrote:
she is one of the cutest babies i've ever seen!


.Aww thank you so much Smile .Can't wait to see pictures of your little one!



.Michelle

hehe!! Melly isn't pregnant Laughing


lmao, oops, I apparently got you & her mixed up!

Embarassed Embarassed

.Michelle
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2007
Supporter
octoberbaby06 wrote:
michelle1981 wrote:
octoberbaby06 wrote:

melissa_20 wrote:
she is one of the cutest babies i've ever seen!


.Aww thank you so much Smile .Can't wait to see pictures of your little one!




.Michelle

hehe!! Melly isn't pregnant Laughing


lmao, oops, I apparently got you & her mixed up!


Embarassed Embarassed

.Michelle

lmao
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 25th, 2007
Experienced User
Rice Cereal And Babies
I am going to butt in where I don't belong. On a recent dr phil show, he had a family of pediatricians. According to them, you should not feed cereal to babies until they are 6 months old, and rice cereal can damage the babies intestines if it is given too early. I am sorry if this angers some of you newer mothers. I just thought that you should know. My baby days are long over and I am not a grandmother yet.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Tell that to her .Pediatrician who is a representative of .New .Orleans on the .Board of .Pediatrics....


What makes the Dr.S from "dr. Phil" soooo right?!?!?! Nothing...They just have *different* opinions.

My daughter was put on .Oatmeal cereal at 3 weeks. And guess what, it was right for *her*. I'm not saying every baba should be put on cereal.

I don't think babies should be put on cereal unless the dr. says so.

I don't think it's right to go behind the person with the .M.D behind their name and give the baby cereal either.

Sarah
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Rice Cereal And Babies
san54 wrote:
i am going to butt in where I don't belong. On a recent dr phil show, he had a family of pediatricians. According to them, you should not feed cereal to babies until they are 6 months old, and rice cereal can damage the babies intestines if it is given too early. I am sorry if this angers some of you newer mothers. I just thought that you should know. My baby days are long over and I am not a grandmother yet.


yep, i'm completely aware of that. I talked to .Kaylee's doctor beforehand though, at her last appointment last week & he said it would be okay to start it soon.

Also I read on a website (i've read so many of them i'm not sure which one it was but it said there are 3 main guidelines that pediatricians go by & that is the baby has to weigh at least 13 lbs (.Kaylee was 13 lbs 8oz at her last appt.), have good neck control (she's had that since she was born) & drink 32oz or more of formula a day (she's well over that), so we decided she is ready for it. I'm not in any way trying to knock what you said though because you're still right but in .Kaylee's case she's ready!!


.Michelle

edited to add that in .Kaylee's case she is ready for cereal at almost 4 months.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
12 >>