Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Community Chat Forum

What Would You Do? (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
Someone I know from a different forum got a phone call from her kids school yesterday asking her to fetch her youngest (10 years old).

When she asked why she was told "because he hasn't eaten his lunch"

well, she and the school both know he is a picky eater so she offered to take him some sandwiches.

She was told "no, he needs to be sent home as punishment for not eating".

The choices on offer yesterday were vegetable chilli or chicken & potato pie.

The kid has his sats this year and an unblemished attendance record - although the school has said he will have an absent mark against him for yesterday.

How would you feel if this was your kid?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 25th, 2007
Experienced User
I would be pissed, its not like he doesn't want to eat it just to be rude....The school is well aware that he is a picky eater, so they shouldn't be surprised if there is something served that he doesn't want to eat.

I would have assumed that the teacher/school knowing this would have his mother on speed dial so that when this happens they can just call his mom and say "you need to bring a sandwich today"

sending him home as punishment is ridiculous.

Eta: if the school had a problem with him being a picky eater they should have made it know to his mother as soon as they became aware and also told her what the punishment was. Then they could have come to an understanding/agreement that she would supply lunch for him everyday to avoid all of this.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
She offered to amke him a sandwich to take for him but nope Rolling Eyes
|

Experienced User
That is just silly....
|

Extremely eHealthy
That's crazy. I would be mad as hell, especially if she offered to bring him a sandwich. The school should not send kids home because they don't eat their lunch...A growling stomach later in the day would be punishment enough!!!
|

Especially eHealthy
I agree with mamatt, why do they even care if he skips lunch one day? It's more important to them that he eat something he doesn't like than to be there for the afternoon lessons?
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
kia_breizzze wrote:

how would you feel if this was your kid?
I think I would refuse to pick him up.They would definetly get an ear full from me.Is it a private school or something? That is just plain rediculousness!
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Nope, just a regular school
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
kia_breizzze wrote:
nope, just a regular school
yup,then I would refuse to pick him up and tell them i'd su them for denying my son school for a day and marking his record.There is nothing in the school rule book that says they have to eat lunch.It's not like he beat someone up!
|

Especially eHealthy
Not that it matters, but how old is the kid? And is there a reason she couldn't bring him a sandwich, are they forced to eat what the school offers?
|

Experienced User
I didn't know you .H.A.D to eat at school?!?! Shocked
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Re: What Would You Do?
kia_breizzze wrote:
(10 years old).

the kid is a picky eater but there is more chance of him eating more variety if he has school lunches, because the only sandwiches he will eat are peanut butter.

So she doesn't want him to have peanut butter everyday.

She was happy to make a sandwich and take it to school for him but the teacher expressly said "no, he has to be sent home as punishment for not eating his lunch".

The school used to serve bread and butter as a side dish, and crackers and cheese as an "afters" but they stopped because it was unhealthy what???

Another lady sent her kids to school (different school) with carrots, grapes, raisins, orange juice (small carton - organic), milk (small carton - organic) and yoghurt covered carob bars. Nice healthy lunch right???
The teachers took it off him, said he had to have something from the school canteen.
Kid gets upset because he wants his own lunch, and won't eat from the canteen.
Bearing in mind this kid (age 9) is on a special diet for food allergies.

Now tell me what is so unhealthy about that lunch box?
|

Especially eHealthy
Sounds like they're on a power trip. My brother and I went to a private school for some of high school and they had a dress code. One day the vice principal pulled my brother aside halfway through the day and told him he had to get his hair cut, so he said he'd go after school and the principal said, "no, you'll go now". Getting his hair cut was more important than school? Either way he would had his hair cut by the next day, the guy was just on a power trip. We didn't last much longer there.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Shocked wow,i think I would tell them where to shove it.
|

Experienced User
Do they pay for the school provided lunch? If so then in these cases I think the issue is money, they want all the students to eat from the school so that they can get lots of money Rolling Eyes .......That's the only reason that I can think of why it would matter to the school if they ate the school provided meal or brought their own from home.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
foxy wrote:
do they pay for the school provided lunch? If so then in these cases I think the issue is money, they want all the students to eat from the school so that they can get lots of money Rolling Eyes .......That's the only reason that I can think of why it would matter to the school if they ate the school provided meal or brought their own from home.
right,thats all I could think of to but hey,it ain't even their kid! They don't know about food allergies,or if the kid has diabetes or something!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Oh my god I would be so unbelievably angry that I would march straight down to that school and demand I speak to the headmaster/mistress immediately. I would tell him/her in no uncertain terms that my son would n.O.T be coming home today and if they didn't want me to contact the newspaper about their, quite frankly, ludicrous and outdated behaviour then they'd better not try anything similar again.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

gah!!!!!!!
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Child #1's mom did the right thing she offered a solution, now while missing one day isnt a big deal it may be to them, he may be happy about his perfect record, and they ruined it over some lame food.

Child #2's mom needs to go to the school board, with his allergies they may have risked his very life forcing him to eat something.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
foxy wrote:
do they pay for the school provided lunch

in most uk regular schools (i say regular because here a public school is actually private lol confusing I know) you either pay a weekly sub for your kids school lunch or you send them with a packed lunch - parental choice. (although if the parent(s) are on benefits they get free school meals for the kids).

So in the case of the first kid his meal would have been paid for regardless or not of whether he ate it.
The second kid wouldn't have paid any subs because he had always been a packed luncher because of his allergies.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
kia_breizzze wrote:
foxy wrote:
do they pay for the school provided lunch

in most uk regular schools (i say regular because here a public school is actually private lol confusing I know) you either pay a weekly sub for your kids school lunch or you send them with a packed lunch - parental choice. (although if the parent(s) are on benefits they get free school meals for the kids).
thats how it is here too.The school has no business intervening in things like that.
|
Quick Reply