Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Carpal tunnel syndrome

Must Read
Learn the basics about carpal tunnel syndrome here: causes, risk factors and complications....
Are some people born with carpal tunnel? More here on what can cause carpal tunnel syndrome and who is at risk of developing the condition....
Carpal tunnel syndrome is accompanied by very clear signs and symptoms. But how do symptoms change as the syndrome progresses? More info here....
User Profile
I was told that I had corpal tunnel in both hands in about 1994 or 1995 and I had surgery on my left hand. And I was to get my right one done 10 days later. But I chose not to left had too many problems. They said they didn't even know how I was using my hands. Well my question is I am having the same problems in my left hand again even thou I have had surgery for the release. And my right one has not changed. What do I do or what does that mean. I have burned my arm from weakness in my hands and pain gets really bad. They will go completely num. What do you think I should do and is this normal?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2007
Muscular & Nerve Disorders Answer A2223
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a compressive neurological disorder of the nervus medianus. Carpal tunnel forms between the carpal bones. Carpal tunnel includes the ligaments below these bones and the ligamentum carpi transversum from above. Inside the carpal canal, tendons of the hand’s flexor muscles and medianus nerve exist. Any increase in volume in the canal causes compression of the medianus nerve. There could be many reasons for compression of the medianus nerve: rheumatism, trauma (bleeding, fractures, luxations), tumors and professional predisposition. Conditions like menopause and obesity are some examples of predispositional factors. Symptoms of tunnel carpal syndrome are pain in the radial part of the hand and the first 3 fingers, numbness and itching in the same fingers and atrophy of the hand’s tenar.
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition that is usually treated with surgical decompression of the carpal tunnel. Results from the operation are better when the operation is performed earlier, within the first six months after the symptoms began. When the operation is delayed, the results are worse because nerve damage becomes irreversible in time.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Muscular and Nerve Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.