Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Is Very Mild Fever a Symptom?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I've been a generalized anxiety sufferer for about 7 years. I have done very well with the disorder through relaxation techniques, exercise, and proper diet. As with everyone on this forum I have numerous symptoms during a flare up however realize they are just part of the disorder.

Recentley I am having a flare up as we are approaching our annual family vacation to florida. As in the past anxiety is overtaking me during this time of year.

5 days ago I developed a very low grade fever, if that is what you call it, with no other symptoms. Never higher than 99.9, usually 99.5 give or take a couple of points. Of course my mind rambeled through the causes pneumonia, cancer, etc. A visit to my Dr. Turned out to be the usual virus that runs this time of year.

My question is has anyone out there ever heard of fever caused by anxiety?

Thanks in advance,
panfish
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jenp17
|

replied February 13th, 2008
Stress fevers
I have been suffering from random fevers for 15 years. Most of the time, they hover from 99.3 to 99.9, just enough to cause me some tiredness. Occasionally, they will spike, sometimes to the 103-105 range, lasting from 24 to 48 hours and disappearing suddenly. I have seen dozens of doctors and been to the ER a handful of times, but the doctors usually just blast me with antibiotic treatments; in one case, this treatment lasted for months. I've also had bloodwork done, but it usually came back normal. After those treatments fail, the doctors quickly lose interest.
Only in the past week did I hear about something called a "stress fever." I ran a Google search, and it pulled up several articles. Apparently there is some truth behind the idea (despite what I recently heard from a doctor). I am very excited to find out that other people have experienced this, and I hope to find some ways to treat it. Typical de-stressing methods just don't seem to have an effect.
|

replied January 23rd, 2009
RE:Stress fever
I have been experiencing this fever for the last 2 years, first it came with the usual soar throat and flu. Now it just comes up with no other symptoms, i have done antiobiotic courses i have had blood tests done. I swtiched to homepathy few months back to over come a frequent soar throat problem i had. Surpirsingly the soar throat completely went away and hasnt came back as yet. But just i keep having these low fevers from 99.9 to 100 sometihng. Just day before yesterday i had i think about 103. This was becuase i have been taking stress allot recently. I was also speaking to my mother on the phone and she said i have been experienceing exam fever ever since i was a kid. It used to come fo a few days when i had exams an went away latter. So i hope it is just stress fever and nothing attaching to it. if u find anything else plz do paste links here
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
It's called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
I've had panic attacks for about 8years now and about 5 years after alot of stress, I started noticing mild fever, mild flulike symptoms and fatigue. All the doctors told me everything was fine, but since I had chronic stress I developed CFS.
|

replied December 18th, 2009
Antidote
Went through a lot, and one day I read this and made every effort to apply it in every situation in my life. I still get 'mysterious' mild fever sometimes but I notice its generally when I am stressing over some situation.
If it helps you can print it and put it in a place where you read it so frequently that your mind can say it to you each time you get anxiety or stress:

From Omar Khayyam's The Rubayat.
"Why ponder thus, the fortune to forsee,
and jade they brain to vain perplexity,
Cast off thy care, leave Allah's (God's) plans to Him,
He made them all,
WITHOUT CONSULTING THEE"

What a relief and a stark contrast from what we were brought up with.

It has worked wonders for me, I scribbled it next to my bed on the wall, did'nt even wait to get a paper and pen and it actually turned me into a happy person.

Hope it can help even one person out there!!! Best luck!
|

replied December 19th, 2009
Hmmm, I would take a different approach to this.

A fever is an immune response to something. It's an inflammatory response. In the case of a virus or bacteria, or other foreign invader to your body it's your immune system trying to protect you and kill off the virus or bacteria. For this reason, it's often best to let a fever run it's course, unless the fever response gets out of hand and dangerous. If you take fever reducers at the first sign of fever you are disabling your immune system and may even prolong your illness.

About 40 - 50 % or so of folks who suffer with anxiety have a documentable, treatable, identifiable, chemical imbalance in the brain. The remaining folks are diagnosed as having an unknown cause or just suspected or assumed to have a chemical imbalance. More recently, it was discovered that an imbalance of certain bacteria in the gut can cause a chemical imbalance in the brain which in turn causes anxiety symptoms. There is some information on this out there on the web, you can research it for yourself. If this is the case, there are things you can do to improve or cure the problem. Things like therapeutic levels of probiotics, diet changes, food allergies, etc...

I have no idea if this is the case with you, but it would seem to be a possiblity. If I were you I would consider the low grade fever a sign of something going on in your body. It's NOT normal to have low grade fevers and there is ALWAYS a reason. A natural doctor would be extremely helpful with these issues and questions.

Oh, by the way CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) is also believed to be caused by a virus. I suggest you look up Dr Mercola's website and do a search on CFS, even anxiety or whatever else interests you. His site is an excellent source of reliable and unbiased scientific information written in an easy to read and understand format.
|

replied April 17th, 2010
I have been under tremendous stress, anxiety attacks that last all day and wake me up if I can sleep. then I started feeling so cold with a low grade fever, then I would be hot. I get these low grade fevers and have been worried! The Dr. didn't find anything wrong, could this be my anxiety?
|

replied June 18th, 2011
I'm a 39-year old woman. I developed a fever every time after something physically or emotionally stressful. I had 3 miscarriages, and the first one was traumatic for me and I caught a fever with no other abnormal symptoms, according to the doctors. They just gave me an analgesic. Another time was when I went backpacking in the mountains. I didn't expect such an ordeal and finally, when I got to camp, I also had fever. It disappeared after 6 hours. A few years back, I went to a hair-waxing salon for the first time. My physical pain tolerance is naturally low, and, as I predicted, I had a fever 6hours after I had a full-body wax. I haven't consulted a physician about my kind of fever since it normally goes away and there are no other symptoms, but I guess the body's immune system also protects it from pain. After all, pain should be also foreign to a well, normally-functioning body. Hope this helps.
|

replied September 11th, 2011
I am under a ridiculous amount of stress ranging from financial (bankruptcy), job loss to my 48 yr old husband having stage 4 prostrate cancer and being placed on hospice. We have two children still in our care. In the past several months I get a 'nervous stomach' (diarreha, cramping) which is accompanied by a mild fever, chills, body aches and fatigue. I've been on antibiotics, had blood panels done, ultra-sound, abdominal CT scan and all is normal. Scheduled for upper GI series in a couple weeks but I'm really starting to believe it's all related to stress and anxiety as the symptoms seem to coincide with particulary stressful days.
|

replied January 25th, 2013
My daughter, age 9, came unglued when I told her she'd have to go to Saturday school. She has Aspergers Syndrome Disorder, so anything at all that's unexpected can totally set her off. She went into a 1/2 hour bawling session over it and then suddenly acted like she was sick and fell asleep. I thought she was just trying to get out of school and gave it no credit, until I felt her head. She was HOT, and definitely had a fever. Once she woke up, talked about her fears, and calmed down, her fever went away immediately, and she's 100% back to normal. Not a thing (physically, anyway) wrong with this girl!
|

replied November 15th, 2013
even low grade fever should be a caution NOT to be taken lightly; there are several diseases that can be in the latent form that you did not attend properly or you could have subclinical manifestations of either a virus (CMV, EBV, Borrelia etc) or infection
Just think of a 'simple flu' - usually people do not take meds for it, but nobody bothers to check for infection >> if the infection goes into other stages, it can cause havoc in your health down the road. So the obvious problem is how many test are the doctors willing to take before they find the cause... and is it practical? Catch 22! If you fell something is wrong, then the body is telling you that...
|