Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Lump In Groin Area (Page 1)

I am a 34 year old female, generally good health, other than smoking and migraines. I have recently found a small, hard, tender lump in the fold of my thigh and groin area. It cannot be seen on the skin or under the skin, it can only be felt. It doesnt hurt or bother, unless I press in that area to feel it, then it is tender. It is deep inside, you must press to feel it, and is about the size of an odd shaped nickel. I never noticed it before, only noticed by accident and that was about a week ago. There is no change in the week since I found it, no smaller or bigger. I am worried. When I look online all I find is either some type of lymphoma or sexually transmitted disease or a whole list of male issues. I have been with my husband for 9 years so the sexually transmitted disease is out (at least it better be!! Lol) I am panicking and thinking about making an appointment to get it checked out, just thought maybe someone had experienced something similar. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ZoieDane
|

replied February 1st, 2007
Lump In Groin Area
Try reading up on a bartholin cyst. Very painful if it becomes infected.
|

replied March 7th, 2012
Lump between pubic area and thigh
I have a lump in the fold of my thigh and groin. I went to the doctor's and it was an abscess. They cut it open and started to drain it. They gave me a shot to numb it but that didn't do anything!!! The doctor had to stop because I was in to much pain. Anyways, you get them wherever there's hair. The doctor said ill get them for the rest of my life because my body just has that kind of bacteria. All I can do is as soon as I have a lump go to the doctor's and they will give me antibiotics to kill the bacteria. That way it doesn't have to get lanced. If the lump is to big they may have no choice but to lance it.
|

replied October 10th, 2012
I have the same thing I think. Mine feels like a little ball like the ball in a pin ball machine. I guess I should just make an appointment. Mine is like 3 inches below my hip bone.
|

User Profile
replied February 3rd, 2007
Experienced User
Bartholin cyst
introduction
the bartholin's glands are located on each side of the vaginal opening. These glands secrete fluid that helps lubricate the vagina. Sometimes the ducts of these glands become obstructed causing fluid to back up into the gland, resulting in relatively painless swelling called a bartholin cyst. At times, this fluid may become infected, creating a small area of pus surrounded by inflamed tissue (abscess). Signs and symptoms of such an infection may include redness, warmth, pain or tenderness near the vaginal opening.

A bartholin cyst or abscess is uncommon. The condition occurs most frequently in women between 20 and 29 years of age.

Treatment of bartholin cyst depends on the size of the cyst, how painful it is and whether it's infected. Sometimes, soaking in warm water (sitz bath) allows the cyst or abscess to rupture spontaneously. In other cases, surgical drainage of the bartholin cyst may be necessary. If an infection is present, your doctor may also recommend antibiotics to treat the bartholin cyst.

Hi there, I personally dont have any experience of it.
But thought this might help.
Good luck with the dr appointment. Please keep us up dated.
|

replied May 20th, 2012
Lump between groin and virgina area
I just went to my doctor with a lump between groin area and virgina. only noticed it a few days ago and thought my jeans were too tight but then discovered a marble sized lump which was not on the outside, it was on the inside and you could only feel it. Painful only when pressed. Doctor said it wa a Batholin cyst and he gave me antibiotics. Said if it doesnt go with the pills i may have to have it drained or taken out. Quite a common thing. It does hurt when I walk -feels a bit like I have put a tampon in the wrong way. Anyway its nothing to worry about.
|

replied October 1st, 2012
Lump in groin area
Hi I also have a lump on my left groin. I went in to my gyn in early Jan/Feb I believe and he said yes it's a lump but that if it wasn't bothering me I could go to a surgeon or I could leave it alone. Well last night and today it's bothering me. Swollen, tender and it feels like a burning sensation. Any ideas?
|

replied April 7th, 2013
How are you doing now? I have the same problem and I am really panicking .
|

replied April 27th, 2007
Help!
I am experiencing the EXACT same symptoms, this is the only posting I have found that accurately describes what I have. Did you see a doctor? Can you advise me at all on what you have found, or if it went away? I am worried. Thank you so much.
|

replied August 4th, 2007
Same Symptoms
I have the same pain but it is definitely not in the area described by the bartholin's cysts/glands. Mine is "in the pelvic" region, pretty much where the ovary would be. Any ideas on this one?
|

User Profile
replied May 3rd, 2009
same symptoms
im experiencing the same n im 19 im quite worried u can only feel it wen u press on it cnt ya and is painful
|

replied October 10th, 2012
I know this was in 2009 but I'm 19 and what you are describing is what I'm dealing with. I'm kind of scared. Did you ever find out what it was?
|

replied December 31st, 2012
I'm nineteen too. And I am quite worried:(
|

replied May 27th, 2009
RTI
I will like to know what should one do when the medical facility that I use do no want to tell me about RTI. All they do is say that you do have to worry. Sometimes is the RTI results says negative and sometimes it says positive. Can you help me on that.

Z Mkwayi
|

replied May 29th, 2009
I just found one too exactly in the groin/fold of skin thigh/pelvic area. It's a big deep lump only felt when I push deep to feel for it and it's like a grape almost. Very painful when I press on it. What is this?? I had this before many years ago and remembered that it lasted and stayed for about 1 year or a few months before it went away. I didn't do anything then cos it wasn't painful. this time it's very painful. Can anyone help???
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2009
I am 21 and i have the exact same symptomsas you described, its not saw and i found it by accident, i have seen a doctor and had blood test taken, i have to go back in 4 weeks to get my full blood count taken.
i cant find any other web sites to find out what this may be, can any 1 help?
|

replied September 9th, 2009
hello there i have the same problem on both sides in my folds, i've noticed one of them over a year ago as it was swallen and size of a plum, went to c the doctor and he told me that it's nothing, its the same thing as a sore throat and it will go away in few weeks time. it's been over a year now and it's still there but it's not swallen anymore and few months ago i found another one on the other side as well but that one is more painful. i'm going to the doctors 2morrow so i'm planning to ask what that it and y its there. will let u know if i find out something. have a nice day everyone...
|

replied October 26th, 2009
I just found the same thing...It is very soar when i press on it. I want to go to the doctors but it seems that reading all this that its nothing to be really scared about. Its only on one side. If anyone has any more info please write....
|

replied October 27th, 2009
I have a lump in my pelvic/groin area and it has been there for 4 months. It is rubbery like and has no pain. It has definately grown since I saw the Dr 4 months ago. The Dr told me it was a hair bump and go away after a few wks. Well it's been 4 months and is bigger than when I was at the Dr. It's about the size of a dime. Anyway I am thinking of going to the Dr tomorrow to at least get it checked out.For now mine is only on the right side. If anyone has any feedback that would be great!
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
If the lump is in the fold of the the thigh where it meets your vulva, then it is NOT a bartholian cyst. It is most likely a swollen lymph node (which can occur for no reason, will go away on its own, and should be checked out if it does not go away)or a boil/ingrown hair. Often boils and ingrown hairs hurt though. The best way to find out is to see your doctor, ladies.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Re: Same Symptoms
AmberIvy wrote:
I have the same pain but it is definitely not in the area described by the bartholin's cysts/glands. Mine is "in the pelvic" region, pretty much where the ovary would be. Any ideas on this one?
It could very well be your ovary lol. Some women, especially small, trim women can easily palpate their ovaries, especially at the time of ovulation. It could also be a fat pocket, a naturally occuring phenomena, usually resulting in no side effects.
|

replied December 3rd, 2009
BUMP
I've had my lump for about 3 years now. It swells up and down, ranging from a dime to a golf ball. I have been tested for std and I have nothing, so the doctor and I have decided I have nothing it is just a swollen lymphnode. But i do recommend checking it out every year.
|
Users who thank bm776291 for this post: Radel 

replied December 4th, 2009
I am a 26 year old female and I too have a lump in my groin that is under the skin and can only be felt. It feels like it is the size of a golf ball. I saw a doctor the day after I found it (Tuesday). He wasn't sure what it was (as this was not his 'area of expertise'). He did tell me that bartholin cysts are normally quite painful. My lump is not painful at all. He said that it may be a glad that is plugged. He gave me some antibiotics to take for a week. He said that if it is a plugged gland there is a concern about it becoming infected. I am to take the antibotics and see a family doctor in one week. He said if it gets larger, changes or hurts I am to go back to the hospital asap as surgery might be required.
|

replied December 6th, 2009
Hi I am 36 and have had a similar nodule type lump on the inner of my right side. I am also currently pregnant and the lump can only be found by pressing into the skin, therefore is not visible at all. I do suffer from a lot of ingrown hairs and am hoping that is all this one is but will have to go to my doctors and get it checked out. I also have a fibroadenoma in my left breast which has been there for 15 years now... please let me know if anyone sees their doctor with similar symptoms.
|

replied December 23rd, 2009
Sometimes letting someone know that they are not alone with an issue IS helpfull.

that being said, the best way to get good advice on a medical situation is to speak to a medical professional.

Jumping on the "me too" bandwagon....I discovered a small lump in that area a couple years ago....I mentioned it to my doctor who didn't seem to think much of it.
as time passed I started feeling a pressure in that area...almost like something was pushing through the muscle and tissue...and the lump became "bigger" or at least more pronounced. I continued to mention it to my GP and OBGYN at each visit...my GP grudgingly ordered an XRAY of the pelvic area and that didn't show anything...finally after 2 years and after I complained about pain in the adjacent hip my OBGYN referred me to an Orthopedic surgeon...who ordered an MRI of the area.
I got the results yesterday, The MRI shows a fluid filled cyst that appears to be originating in the inguinal canal.
The Ortho has referred me back to a General Surgeon. They still need to do a sonogram of the area so they can determine exactly what it is and after that they can make a plan for dealing with it.

My advice to someone experiencing this issue is 1. don't freak out, it most likely is nothing to be worried about. 2. Check it out from time to time, If it doesn't get any bigger, cause you discomfort, or appear to be changing then most likely your doctor is going to tell you to not worry about it. 3. If it does start growing and it starts to cause discomfort see a doctor and request testing.
|

replied January 10th, 2012
lump in groine area
I actually had the same thing that you are all talking about but I got the lump about 3 weeks ago and I ignored it up until last tuesday when I went to the bathroom and I felt it it was just about the size of a tennis ball so I decided that it was a boil and I sat in the tub and tried to pop it and that was a HUGE mistake! it instantly got bigger so I asked my hubby if he would take me to the urgent care and knowing I hate hospitals he knew that something wasnt right so he quickly grabbed the car keys and we were on our way, when I got to the urgent care they took me in ahead of everyone else there and the doctor looked at it and in a big hurry told me that I needed to head straight to the E.R. and that he would call ahead to let them know that he was sending me over, he told me that the lump is an abscess and it needed to be taken care of right away! when I got to the E.R. they got me in a room as soon as I walked in the doors and the doctor explained that I needed it drained so they numbed it which hurt so bad I felt as if I was literally getting my flesh burned! when that part was over the doctor had to take a culture from it and then he had to pack gauze under my skin and then they sent me home and about 2 days went by and the gauze fell out which was way too early so the incision closed and it started building up all over again! I had to go back to the hospital only to get everything done all over again and this past friday the E.R. doctor called me to tell me my results came back and I have a staph infection because I waited to long to see a doctor! I am still very ill and I really wish I would have gone to the doctor a long time ago and I would not be at risk of losing my life over a fear of hospitals! if you have a lump under your skin right where your underwear line is DO NOT TRY TO POP IT! Go to the hospital right away! because I waited so long to have it checked out it made the infection even worse which made it so the local anesthetic did not work as well as it needed to so I had to lay in the hospital bed while a nurse and a doctor held me down and cut the lump open to drain it and they got 8oz of blood the first time and the second time they got other very gross stuff and as for right now the gauze fell out again and its building up once again! nothing like another trip to the hospital!
|

replied February 28th, 2012
Gland vs Lymph Node
You had a cyst and had what they call an I and D on it with packing strip put in it. You should have been instructed to return to the ER in a few days to repack it. We do this procedure numerous times a day on folks. I believe what these girls are talking about is different. They are talking about a lymph node in the groin where the thigh meets the pelvic region. You are talking about an infected gland. Two different things. A painful lump usually is a better sign than. Non painful lump ladies. They come and go throughout life. Most never notice them. If it gets too painful, ask your physician. Rest assured, it's not abnormal. It's quite common as you can see here. If it starts out looking like a pimple you can pop and grows fast, most likely it's a boil or cyst and if large enough will need to be I & D'd and packed. And antibiotics after. Good luck girls!
|

replied May 4th, 2012
Sir! Your reply seemed to scare me a little.
My finace, she told me she has a lump on her inner thigh where her 2 legs meet. I don't know which side it is (does being on the right or left leg say what the problem is?). She told me, that a lump is a symptom of having a cancer. She has noticed it just a few days a go. She is on a vacation right now for the next 20Days, so she will get it checked only after she gets back.
Her lump is not at all painful and it is not been growing since she has noticed it. I told her it might be a boil or something. She said it's not a boil or a pimple. It is a painless lump.
Could you help me out for the time being till she can see a doctor personally. Any antibiotic cream she can use or any other natural remedy like slat water bathing or something like that to make her feel relaxed and calmed (Cause she is tensed). And any dos or donts while you are having the lump? Your help will be so useful. Thank. Hadi.
|

replied January 17th, 2010
Hi all,
I have these symptoms that are being talked about and i will shortly going to the doctors to get them checked out.
My Lumps are very hard and not at all painful but are accompanied by a very poor immune system, sweats and raw skin, all of which i have researched on the internet and together i have heard it could be a sign of cancer.

I think every lump needs to be thoughly checked out, and although their may well be nothing worry about i think we should all ensure that the doctor takes all the symptoms into account not just the lump.

Kat
|

replied January 25th, 2010
lump in groin
hai there i ave a lump in both the side of the groin.it last for at least 3months,when i get periods the lump is big in size and when my body gets heat up or i am traveling for a long distance and get tired up, i feel the lump is big but other than that it is small only and gives pain when i touch it . i am 19 yrs old ,i feel afraid weather it is a symptom of cancer please help me. when it is big it gives a pain to me help me.
|