Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Alternative Medicine Forum

What Is the Goal of Medication?

Iis it to make you feel better? "symptom relief"? To make abstract numbers on a clinical test look closer to a "normal" heart? Protection against something?

I know...I suppose the answer is "it varies by individual".

I ask because my doc seems to be after me to up my medication, when I have no particular complaints at the moment irt my heart condition itself; my complaints, if any, relate more to the side effects of the damn drugs. I feel better, generally, without them. I've been on atenolol for several years now, but only 50mg/day. When I first started that, I felt like a lump. Couldn't get out of my own way. Doc said to take half a pill...That improved things some. I still felt sleepy and generally unmotivated most of the time...But for the most part, tolerable. Last year, doc convinced me to take half a pill, twice a day. Said it would make me feel less fatigued if I could up the dose. I keep trying to tell him, "more pill=more fatigue". He says "no". Its my heart that is causing the fatigue. I'm not buying it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 20th, 2007
What Is the Goal of Medication?
While you may not 'feel' the medication is helping, it is. Most of us are on some sort of medication. Unfortunately, not much research & development done by pharmaceutical companies for product development though we pay a huge amout towards this. The fact is rightly pointed out in a book “with a license to kill” by john josefson

hope this helps a bit, I am sure someone with more knowledge on this will pop in and help you out.

Take care,

edit
|
Did you find this post helpful?