Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

An Allergic Reaction to Sweet Potatoes?

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
I just started feeding my 5 month old vegetables. I fed him sweet potatoes, and took a taste myself. (i have eaten sweet potatoes many times) well, the next morning I woke up with a swollen eyelid and red blotches on my face. I continued with the second day of feeding my son sweet potatoes (gerber) and that evening I developed red blotches all over my body that stung and itched like bad sunburn. My son developed light hives on his chest and back., may be unrelated, but I discontinued the sweet potatoes anyway. My rash is subsiding except for red itchy palms.

Could all this have been from the gerber food? It is the only new thing I have been exposed to. And why? I never had a reaction to sweet potatoes before. Should I try feeding it to my son again in a month or so, or just steer clear of it?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rachelb22
|

replied January 24th, 2007
That's really strange. I also started feeding my 5 month old son gerber sweet potatoes for the first time (this past sunday) and about 4 hrs later he had a blotchy rash all over his face. It got worse the next day, so I didn't feed him anymore. He does have ezcema, so it could have to do with that, but I asked his doctor, and she told me that a facial rash/hives is a common reaction to an allergic food, although she has never heard of someone being allergic to such a benign food. I did not eat the food (the baby sitter fed him) so I haven't experienced any symptoms. The doctor told me to discontinue this food for 3 months and then try again
|

replied July 13th, 2010
That's really strange. I also started feeding my 5 month old daughter gerber sweet potatoes for the first time (yesterday) and a few hrs later she had rash all over her body.
|

replied August 11th, 2010
Sweet Potato Allergy
I gave my 6 month old sweet potatoes last night, it wasn't the first time, but maybe the 3rd. He ate 2 servings of the Gerber 1 Sweet Potatoes (he was hungry). Within 15 minutes he had several hives on his thigh and one on his arm, as those started to go away, it started on his face until his whole cheek was covered. Within 2 hours from the start...it was gone.
|

replied December 6th, 2010
Baby allergen to sweet potatoes?
Very interesting, same thing happened with giving the gerber sweet potatoes to my 5 month old yesterday. He barely even ingested any, since he's not real excited to eat anything other than breastmilk at this point, but after a while he developed a small rash that turned into massive hives covering his entire body. Even almost 24 hours later and after some benadryl (approved by a pediatrician), he is still red and has some bumps. Now I'm scared to try anything else prior to 6 months!
|

replied January 12th, 2011
This is very very interesting, something similar happened with my son when he ate gerber sweet potatoes. He had it a few times before tonight and he was fine nothing happened but after he ate one container of it his cheeks turned beat red and hives formed on his chin and corner of his mouth. But after a few hours the hives went away and the red cheeks started to go away.
|

replied January 25th, 2011
hives from Gerber's sweet potato
I gave my 7 month Gerber sweet potato yesterday for the first time. About an hour later she got one large hive under her eye. Today I gave it to her for lunch again. About an hour later she got 3 very large hives under her eye. The nurse said to stop feeding it to her and wait at least 1 month. After reading everyones comments I am going to bake her sweet potato. It was the first time I've used Gerber. I've been using PC organics but they didn't have sweet potato.
|

replied January 29th, 2011
SWEET POTATOE ALLERGY
My daughter was born in 2006..Gave her SP and she puked about 3hrs later until they were out her system..them we tried when she was 1..same thing happen..so now she is a month from turning 5 tried yesterday and she puked again!! No more sweet potatoes EVER!
|

replied January 25th, 2012
Read labels!
My son has a severe allergy to sweet potaoes - violent vomitting. Stay away from vegetable juice, pomegranet juice blends, vegetable crackers, Minute Maid Pomegranet Lemonade...anything with vegetable juice for color, flavor, etc. You have to read labels - or you will continue to have issues. My son is now 12 and has not outgrown this allergy and an hour or two after ingesting anything with sweet potatoes will projectile vomit. It is very hard on him and so now we are very careful about juices, crakers, chips, anything with vegetable powder or juice. I also worry that it could develop into a breathing issue.
|

replied March 16th, 2011
sweet potato reaction in 7 month old
My 7 month son had the same reaction to sweet potato. I've done Earth's Best where he developed red blotches (not too bad)...I discontinued sweet ps,but then heard about the PBA in the jar lids for Earth's Best, so I thought (slim chance) that it might be that...Two weeks ago he had some of my friend's homemade organic sweet potato puree, no reaction. Last night I fed him Gerber 1st stage, and he started to develop bright red blotches on his arms and upper chest. This morning, the blotches had morphed in size and multiplied. Still the same area, but so red they looked painful. He was up whining/crying all through the night, and he is napping now...I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help get rid of the redness of the rashes. Do I just let them heal with time? No more sweet potatoes until he is a year, at least.
|

replied March 16th, 2011
Call your pediatrician and ask about giving Benedryl to stop the allergic reaction. My son is allergic to sweet potatoes (itchy hives) and without Benedryl, he would cry and scratch himself for hours, even making himself bleed.
|

replied March 16th, 2011
called dr.- Benadryl can be used after 6 months
I did today call the pediatrician-- thank you JaneQ151. I learned 1/2 tsp can be administered up to 4xs a day, if necessary. I couldn't find the name brand, but picked up a generic. I hope that works for him. It just breaks my heart to see him all red and puffy on his skin. Was your son allergic to anything else? I did apples after sweet potatoes, but I am thinking that although I thought he was allergic to apples, he was prpbably still reacting to the sweet ps...I am afraid to retry apples now.
|

replied October 27th, 2011
food allergy and baby foods
i started making my daughters food as a baby because all baby foods regaurdless brands would have some sort of reaction she is 2 1/2 now with still some food allergies. my son now 5 months is starting the same issues i started with sweet potatoes and red rash i waited for a month and gave peaches and carrots he was fine with those so yesterday i gave sweet potatoes again and rash again so i guess i will break out the puree machine and make his food as well.
|

replied November 9th, 2011
sweet potato allergy causing hives
Oddly enough I discovered my son is allergic to sweet potatoes and he too gets hives similar to the ones posted. It is usually the morning this happens. I never knew what was causing the hives until I used the process of elimination and the day after Thanksgiving a few years back he developed them and sweet potatoes was the only thing it could have been. My son is almost seven now and I refuse to feed him sweet potatoes and warn all the teachers about him being allergic. He hasn't had hives since I figured out what was causing them. I think there is something more than "sweet potatoes being such a benign food" now that I see all these posts. I get worried about all the new sweet potato products on the market today. Scares me.
|

replied November 9th, 2011
sweet potato allergy causing hives
Oddly enough I discovered my son is allergic to sweet potatoes and he too gets hives similar to the ones posted. It usually takes some time before they develop such as the next morning so I never knew what was causing the hives until I used the process of elimination and the day after Thanksgiving a few years back he developed them and sweet potatoes was the only thing it could have been. They were huge hives and I rushed him to the er thinking he got bit by a spider all over his chest, belly and back. They told me it was an allergic reaction. My son is almost seven now and I refuse to feed him sweet potatoes and warn all the teachers about him being allergic. He hasn't had hives since I figured out what was causing them. I think there is something more than "sweet potatoes being such a benign food" now that I see all these posts. I get worried about all the new sweet potato products on the market today. Scares me.
|

replied January 10th, 2012
My 6 month old also got an outbreak of hives all over his body after first trying sweet potatoes (Earths Best). The hives started 2 hours after trying the sweet potatoes, and they would come and go for nearly 24 hours. He was very miserable the whole time, poor baby. I'm not going to be giving him sweet potatoes for a few months before I try again.
|

replied February 22nd, 2012
"I THINK IT'S THE SWEET POTATO SKIN THAT'S MAKING THE ALLER
I just want to share my own allergy with sweet potatoes.

"I THINK IT'S THE SKIN THAT'S MAKING THE ALLERGY"

I was actually surprised this will happened to me this time since me and my husband had been eating sweet potatoes for a year which I sometimes bake or boil.

Last night, I ate half a medium piece. I got curious of eating the skin because of the nice baked smell and I thought that skin has more nutrients. I would say, I ate around a teaspoon size of skin. That's the only food I ate that night. Then an hour later my legs and arms start to itch in a cluster form. I did not thought it's the sweet potato, so I went to sleep waking up most of the night because I need to scratch it.

HERE IS THE FUNNY DISCOVERY the following day. I showed my husband the itch which is subsiding of redness a little bit. Not knowing the real culprit, I fried 2 pieces of medium sweet potatoes for side dish. I cooked the other slices with its skin, and I gave those without skin to my husband. After an hour again, GEEEEE.. I got these itchy bumbs rush like hives all over my arm, legs, stomach, neck and nape because I ate a big piece.

I rush to bath cuz I thought it could be some dust when I played around with the dogs for a while, but I thought of searching in the internet of any allegergy to sweet potaoes and so I was here to impart to you my experience.

I will go back here to give comment again once this hives like itch will be gone.
|

replied January 6th, 2013
yes, you can be allergic to sweet potatoes
I just figured out my 5 month old son is allergic to sweet potatoes too! I started him 2 weeks ago and over this time, he has tried them 7-8 Times. He never had a problem till today. An hour after I fed him, I went to change him and noticed hives and swollen and red/blue foot only on his right leg and foot. spoke with Dr and started 3ml of childrens benadryl. He did not seem phased by the hives or swelling but vomited 2 hours later. The hives have already started disappearing. He is now sleeping and calm. I feel bad that he is already allergic to something. hopefully this is his only allergy!
|

replied February 17th, 2014
I fed my daughter Gerber Sweet potatoes this saturday and hours later and she had a severe small bumps on her legs, arms and diaper area and they turned into pustles. No sweet potatoes or any potatoes ever.
|