Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Never Had Regular Periods (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I am 26 and I have never had regular periods. My whole entire life my periods have been irregular. Sometimes I might go for two or three months and they will be evenly spaced out but most of the time they can be anywhere from a month and a half apart up to three months apart. Could this just be "normal" for me to never have regular periods? This is all I have every known - i've never known any different. I know the popular answer is to go on birth control and be regulated that way but I really have no interest to be on birth control - I really don't want to deal with the side effects. Is it necessary to have regular periods?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper saribellum
|

replied February 10th, 2004
Hi there, I am also in the same situation. I am 21 and I have never had regular periods and I didnt start until I was 18. The doctors told me that I have polycystic ovary syndrome, and to go on the pill to regulate my preiods which is does but I have gone on a cum off the pill quite a few times for the reason that I am very self conscious of my weight and the pill made me put on weight. I came off the pill again in october and havnt had a period since and know one knows, if they did they would be really mad at me for not going on the pill. I dont know what to and I am worried of going to the docs as they will just advise me to go bk on the pill. I do however advise you to go to docs and ask for blood tests that will rule out if there is nething wrong, if not then I would advise you to go on the pill, apart from weight there really isnt ne side affects. Let me know how it goes. Takecare bellaxox
|

Extremely eHealthy
Do have the tests bella suggested including some to see your hormone levels.

But!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bella is seriously wrong to say that aside from weight gain there really are no negative sife effects, try serious life threatening weight loss, yes loss; also try causing an imbalance in the body's ability to alter food chemistry to produce 5htp from tryptophan thereby causing major emotional/psychological/mental health disorders, loss, again yes loss of periods, loss of fertility after coming off the pill such that you can not have children. Mad I am not saying these things based on reading but on people I know who have had these side effects. So please be careful.

Many girls & women have irregular periods, the cause are numerous & individual & can include medications (even vitamins & minerals), weight over or under, hormonal imbalance, stress/depression etc.

So rule out medical problems & then look at yourself, weight, medications of all types, lifestyle, job, stress levels (& remember that what is stressful for one person can be awalk in the park for another.).
|

Me Too
I have never had mine at the same time either. Sometimes my period will come and stay for a whole month and then I wont have it again for like 3 months. My mom doesn't want me to go on the pill because of the side affects and she says hers is just like mine. So to kind of answer your question I guess its ok to not have your period regular since the doctors have never questioned my mom or i. But I am like you I would like it to be regular so I can know when I am having it and be prepared for it. Sorry I didn't have more of an answer but that I all the help I can give you. Good luck and if you find anything out let me know what to do to please.
|

replied February 12th, 2004
Me Tooo
I never have a reg period
im gonna be 23
do u think I will be effected by this
cuz I wanna try 2 have a baby soon
plzzzzzzzzzz help................. Question Question Question Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Embarassed
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2004
Advanced Support Team
Alyssa...The doc can give you a shot to "force" your period so u can concieve!

~sara~
|

replied February 16th, 2004
Hey ya'll - thanks for all the replies. Just wanted to let ya'll know that I am going to the doctor on saturday. I'll be sure to let ya'll know what she says. I feel a bit better knowing i'm not the only one out there. Thanks!!!
|

replied February 16th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Some women just do not have regular periods. Definately get it checked, but keep in mind that as long as nothing is medically wrong, and if you can deal with it, then don't worry! I have been on the pill for nine years and let me tell you, not everyone has negative side effects. I have never gained weight, no headaches or anything at all. If you have a side effect that you cannot stand then try a different pill. But this is only if you cannot stand having an irregular period. If you are just worried because it doesn't come at the same time every month then after ruling out medical problems, don't worry! Yes, the pill is what just about everyone will suggest doing about it because it is really the best solution to the problem. The pill can actually help reduce the risks of cervical cancer, help with endometriosis and minimize ovarian cysts. But if on the wrong pill can also cause serious problems. Good luck!
|

replied February 21st, 2004
Update
I went to the doctor today and got checked out. She said everything looks fine. We discussed my irregular periods and she thinks I should go on birth control but I disagreed. We settled on having a blood test done to make sure there is nothing out of whack with my system and then I will come back and we will discuss my options again. She kinda agreed that if there isn't anything wrong with me health wise I don't have to go birth control but she still thinks that birth control would be the best choice for me right now. I am going back in two weeks to get the results so i'll give ya'll an update again then.
|

replied February 21st, 2004
Irregular Periods
Hi there,

if everything checks out by a physical exam, you might want to see an endocrinologist cause it might be hormonal. I had really irregular periods for years too, usually skiiping 2-4 months. I even went a year and a half without one when I was 22 years old. I went to lots and lots of drs and they usually told me everything was fine. I was put on brith control, and only had problems with that, from lots of breakthrough bleeding to still skipping periods.
Then when I tried to get pregnant it took a long time. And by age 30, I finally went into menopause, complete with hot flashes, insomnia, inability to concentrate, waking with fingers tingling, etc. I finally had an ob-gyn figure out what was wrong. I had a pituitary tumor that was producing the hormone prolactin. Prolactin is a pregnancy hormone that is responsible for milk production and elevated levels can cause irregular periods, no periods, infertility, recurring pregnancy loss, galactorrhea (milky breast discharge), hirsutism (male like hair growth), obesity, diabetes, heart ischemia, osteoporosis, and possibly breast cancer. It can also cause a lot of emotional disorders from pms, to anxiety, depression and uncontrolled anger. I'm now taking a drug called dostinex that shrinks the tumor and lowers the hormone level, and i'm having regular periods evey 28 days.
So, the pituitary gland produces 9 different hormones, prolactin is only one, but it also produces fsh, lh, growth hormone, and acth, and tumors can also produce these hormones and throw a womans periods off. Usually, the tumors are not serious and can be treated. An endocrinologist can identify if there is a problem there that needs treatment. There are also other hormonal disorders, like hypothyroidism, that can cause irregular or no periods. I would definitely check out an endocrinologist! Good luck!
|

replied February 23rd, 2004
My doctor ordered my blood to be tested for 4 different things (i forget them all now) but I know prolactin was one of them. Another one had something to do with testosterone - and I have completely forgotten the other two.
|

replied March 11th, 2004
Update Again
Went back for my test results and the doctor said everything came back normal. He said, as I had been wondering, that this is just normal for me. Some people are born this way, he said, and as long as my periods don't drop to less than 3 a year I don't really need to worry about it. He gave me a prescription for birth control, yasmin I think, but i'm not sure if I want to use it. My biggest issue is why be miserable 12 times a year when I can get away with being miserable only 8 times?
|

replied April 15th, 2004
Experienced User
Irregular Periods
I'm new here, hope no-one minds my butting in or answering an older thread. I've never had regular periods either (except the short while I was on the pill). Irregular periods aren't always neccesarily a major problem. I've been tested and nothign out of the ordinary's been found.

I figure, may as well just enjoy the 6-8 periods a year instead of having 12 or 13, nothing wrong there (esp if you consider many doctor are recommending women take their pills to acheive said effect anyways!).

And fwiw being rather irregular (and my irregularity ranges from 1 -2-3 or even as much as 6 months apart) doesn't neccesarily mean you can't get pregnant either, so don't let it catch you off guard if you are a sexually active heterosexual.
|

replied April 24th, 2004
Irregularity
Yes, I agree that birth control isn't always the best answer. I as well have never had regular periods (usually 3-5 months apart, but once as much as 8 months). Why put horomones into your body unless you absolutely have to? I don't mind not having periods, and i'm sure many women wouldn't. The only problem I have been told that I might encounter is trouble conceiving, which of course, does not mean that I cannot conceive, it will just take longer. So right then, as long as the tests conclude that there is nothing wrong, we should consider ourselves lucky Smile
|

replied April 24th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
The thing is if you are on the right kind of birth control then you won't be miserable. When I was not on the pill and I had my period I was in horrible pain. But now that I am on a pill that works for me, it is like nothing at all. The reason for "taking hormones" is because it makes you regular, gets rid of cramping and prevents cancer, and that is reason enough for me!!!!!
|

replied June 6th, 2004
Hi I am in the same situation also! Sometimes I can go for like four months without a period then after that one it may be exactly a month and it changed all the time. I have gone for about six months b4 without a period.
I personally did not agree with the pill, I was put on about 6 different ones, but they all made me feel ghastly. I suffered from migranes, tender breasts, nasua and stomach cramps whilst on the pill.
I would advise you to go to your doctor and have some tests run, you could have a hormone inbalance or polysistic ovaries, if everything is tip top then there is nothing to worry about.
Very few women actually have regular periods, and only if there is a reason behind it should it be a problem.
|

replied June 10th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah, if there is nothing wrong with your health and if it is bearable then just go with it. I was on one pill for seven years and everything was fine. Then, my body got used to it and I had to switch. I have been switched eight times. I just finally found one that works for me. The only side effect that I have is that my boobs hurt soooooooooooooo bad for about two weeks out of the month. It really sucks, but my period only lasts three days, I get no cramps, no weight gain, headaches or anything. So, I am glad this works for me.
But, yes, some women just cannot take the pill. I am so glad that I can. Hopefully, I can stay on this one and not have to switch again. That was a real pain.
|

replied March 16th, 2009
nody
hi im new to this, and i two have irregular periods.. i have noticed i have more facial hair since starting my periods, does anyone else have this problem?
|

replied June 13th, 2009
Irregular period
Nody, that might be hirsutism, and it's a symptom of polycystic ovarian disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycystic_ov ary_syndrome

Go get some blood work done to see if that applies to you.

My period has been irregular since I got it when I was 13, and now that I'm 21 I still haven't got a regular period. I went to my physician today and she dropped the term "polycystic ovarian disease" on me and didn't even have blood or previous physicals to deduct that from. Blame it on malpractice, but I don't think she should be diagnosing with absolutely no proof.
|

replied September 26th, 2009
I havent had a regular period Ever What could be the problem?
I am also 21 years of age. I started my first period at age 12. After that first time, they started coming only every 2-3 monthes, then sometimes twice a month, then mostly every 6 monthes. So now I am 21 and I havent had a period in 9 monthes. My partner and I have tried numerous times to concieve a child and nothing has happend. I fear I will never concieve a child. I dont have the finacial standards it takes to adopt and not to mention I am not married.

I have went to the doctor on regular checkups and everything seem'd to be just fine, up intil about 4 monthes ago. I went in to have my annual checkup and he told me the news that I may have Endemetriosis (Uterine Cancer)
I have looked up the symptoms time and again. I have none of then. Actually its the complete oppisite.

What could be the problem?
|
12 >>
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
User Profile
Dr. Mitaly Pathak Agarwal
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov