Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Working Out With a Cold

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
I recently have come down with a runny nose and some coughing which I am taking sudafed and robitussin. No headaches and i'm eating normally. I generally work out 4-5 days a week at the gym. Is it a bad idea to be working out when your sick but still able to work out physically?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 27th, 2007
Experienced User
It is okay to exercise with a cold. But make sure you do not have a fever, or anything that you can pass on to some one else.

Just makes sure that you are not too sick, and can breath well.
|

replied February 7th, 2007
Experienced User
I disagree with makoto.

Things like these happens, you should wait the couple day to get better instead of further stressing your body, which will only prolong your time to recover.

Instead of your body focusing on one thing it has to deal with the cold and reparing muscles, therefore both aspects will not be as effective.
|

replied February 9th, 2007
Experienced User
If you cold is bad, and it is more than just a head cold, it is okay to work out. However, if your symptoms are sever then it is better to take it easy.

Check this site out.

Http://www.Webmd.Com/content/article/62/71 697.Htm
|

replied March 18th, 2009
Working out with a cold...
The general rule is that if the discomfort is above your neck (a head cold), you can work out. But we�re talking moderate activity levels here. Intense activity, such as high-impact cardio or weight lifting, has been shown to weaken the immune system and have a negative impact on your body�s ability to fight a cold or infection. If you�re sick below the neck (respiratory infections) you�d be better off just staying in bed.
|

replied April 22nd, 2009
Experienced User
I actually got really sick once and it motivated me to start working out I felt better when I was running or being active than when I was just laying in bed being lazy. I got better after like a week and my will power is much stronger because I never made excuses not to work out. just remember to drink lots of water
|