Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Impact of Drug Abuse On Youths

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
Hi,

i'm currently working on a project on the above topic and I would like to find out more on this topic.
1) will the health of the drug abuser be affected till old age even after he/she had stop abusing drugs? If yes, in what ways will their health be affected?
2) what are the ways to help youth drug abusers to quit drug abusing without the help of professionals? Is there anyway where their close ones(family) could help them?

I greatly appreciate your help. Thanks! =d
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Sure.

1. It depends on the type of drug. I used marijuana and have been clean for almost 4 years. Some longer-term effects i've noticed are:

* lowered immune system
* yellow-brown stained teeth
* difficulty with memory and prioritizing details
* depression

2. Drug abusers (no matter the age) are not going to stop until they're dead or exhausted. Addiction compels use. Unless a person is ready to stop, they won't.
|
Did you find this post helpful?