Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pain Management Forum

Right Side Pain Under Breast And Above Rib

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi. I am trying to find if someone has any idea what causes a sharp sudden pain like something is pushing out of my rib under my breast. I move and sometimes I get this catch that is very painful. It is something like something is pushing out of my rib and hurts tremendously. I have to grab under my breast and rub it like I am pushing it back in to get it to subside. Sometimes I just turn a little and it happens. It seems to come more frequently now. My daughter said it is gas pockets can someone help me.
Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bluexwings
|

replied February 19th, 2007
Re: Right Side Pain Under Breast And Above Rib
lvnmycairn wrote:
Hi. I am trying to find if someone has any idea what causes a sharp sudden pain like something is pushing out of my rib under my breast. I move and sometimes I get this catch that is very painful. It is something like something is pushing out of my rib and hurts tremendously. I have to grab under my breast and rub it like I am pushing it back in to get it to subside. Sometimes I just turn a little and it happens. It seems to come more frequently now. My daughter said it is gas pockets can someone help me.
Thanks
|

replied April 19th, 2011
Nerve Pintching
I have had very similar sharp pain in the same area. I understand the symptoms you are talking about. I went to the doctor not too long ago and she told me it was nerve pintchings. She also gave me a blood test but I never heard anything back about it and she didn't tell me what I can do to help it, I'm not sure if there is anything, unfortunately. I might go back to ask if there is anything I can do.
|

replied May 13th, 2007
Re:right Side Pain Under Breast And Above Rib
Hi! I had the same problem I say almost a year ago. But it is completely gone now.We may have different problems diagnosis but I would like to share with you and to all who have similar problems what my experience was. First, it was just a little pain that I did not think about it much. Then it became more painful everyday.It was only my right breast. It seems like underneath the breast. I let it go for a while hoping it will disappear but instead it was getting worst.The pain started creeping gradually everyday to the other breast, then to my shoulders then all the way to my back that I started getting scared. It became harder for me to go to sleep.I was so painful that every little movement in bed I can't do anymore.I cried a lot at night. I had to put pillows to my left and right side but it did not help.I tried to massage myself and sometimes I let my husband massage me but nothing help. I was still hoping it will go away that I still did not go see a doctor. Until one day while at work, I had a conversation with a friend that we laughed and I felt pain under my breast. I realized I cannot even laugh anymore. So, I told my husband that I need to see a massage therapist as my first priority. But my husband said I should see a doctor first. So I did see a general practitioner. The doctor did not do any lab test. She just checked my breast and told me there is nothing wrong with me. She did not tell me to go see another doctor and no advice either . No prescription given.So I told her what should I do but she said nothing to worry I don't have to do anything. I thought that was weard because I have all these pain. So I asked if it is ok to see a massage therapist and she said I can. It might help. But it was my opinion not hers. So I went to see a massage therapist. She massaged me, where the pain was all the way to the back. She told me to relax my body for a week. I did just a very light chores for a week. I noticed a big difference the pain started going away. Until now it is completely gone. Every pain might have a different cause so always see your doctor first because what I did might not work for you.
|

replied January 10th, 2009
right Side Pain Under Breast And Above Rib
i started experiencing this pain as well last couple days..

i noticed couple nights ago i was laying on my left side and there was a pain.

last couple days it would be random and it would be uncomfertable and hurt. does anyone know what causes this and how to make it go away.
|

replied February 2nd, 2009
Did you ever find out what this was?
Hi there, I just saw your post and have been experiencing that exact same thing that you describe. This began happening when I was pregnant and now I've had it off and on for the past five years. Did you ever find out what was causing your problem? I'm wondering if it might be some sort of hernia?
|

replied September 15th, 2009
pain under right breast
i have had this pain for a few years now, i went to the doctor and she checked me out and said it was nothing. i still get the pain and find it eases if i take my bra off, i get the pain most when sat b ut if i lie back the pain goes. sometimes if im sat and lean forward to grab something i feel liked a 'pop' its the only wa\y to describe it, does anyone know what this could be???
|

replied June 9th, 2011
I have had this pain it's like a sharp piercing feeling, and it hurts a lot. I find breathing in deeply when this happens makes it hurts more, so I have to breath shallowly when I get this. Any suggestions on what I could do?
|

replied February 20th, 2012
Stabbing Pain under right breast above ribs
I don't know if this will help but I also had the exact symptoms and after thorough examination and blood tests, It turned out I had Gallstones in my Gall bladder. I had to have my Gallbladder removed through keyhole surgery. That was 1 year ago and i am now ok I hope this helps.
|

replied September 6th, 2012
Have you tried Chiropractic Care?
It sounds to me as though you are suffering from a rib being displaced. Ribs can be moved out of their correct position by falling, getting "jerked" (by a dog pulling suddenly on his leash, for example), or sometimes a even an ill-fitting bra. If you have a back injury, it can also be caused by the muscle spasms you can get as a result.

Chiropractic adjustment and massage will probably do wonders for you. Subluxated ribs are recognized by chiropractors to be a source of great pain in their patients. The pain is often described as a stabbing, sharp pain that takes your breath, to an irritating constant ache. Sometimes, it has even been known to mimic a heart attack. So, I would suggest you call up a local chiropractor and make an appointment. Most can even do an x-ray or ultrasound to make sure you don't have any broken bones or torn muscles. Laser therapy is also wonderful for pain management, and is becoming much more commonplace and affordable than in the past.

It may take a couple adjustments to make the pain go away completely, but you should see relief pretty much immediately. This is something I have struggled with myself, and I find that chiropractic care works best. The idea is to get to the root of your pain and correct it. I hope this helps you! Smile
|

replied January 11th, 2013
Rt Side Pain Under breast & harder to breath . .
I am having similar pain, however It's on my right side underneath my breast but it hurts when I breath or take a deep breath it comes in waves like a stabbing pain. .. . . I have had this for the past couple of days, and today I got really dizzy I was spinning when I had leaned over in the bed to move . . not sure if that has to do with it but . . . When I get this pain it's hard for me to breath . . . . My normal breath's are taken much deeper . .
|

replied August 19th, 2013
Very bad pain in my right side under the breast on the rib
Hi I have a pain like that , very bad charp pain under my breast in my Rib, it's being a week but I was taking pain killer then I stopped take it after 2 days then the back after 1 day no pain killer i back take the pain killer the again when i stopped the pain cames back very bad unsupportable being brought to the hospital and diagnosed with lung infection . I am in 2 type antibiotic hope they are right and get better soon. MS
|

replied September 16th, 2013
sharp pain under right breast above rib
I as well am having this same pain and i just found out i have Gall stones after a long time of being told i had everything from possible lung problems to a UTA. I advise anyone having this kind of pain to bring it up to your doctor. Hope this helps!
|

replied September 16th, 2013
I as well am having this same pain and i just found out i have Gall stones after a long time of being told i had everything from possible lung problems to a UTA. I advise anyone having this kind of pain to bring it up to your doctor. Hope this helps!
|

replied October 22nd, 2013
Sharp Pain under right breast
I really can't believe anybody has suggested this......but, GO TO AN ER!!!! Why do I say it like that?

10 years ago, I was awoken from a deep sleep with what felt like a broken rib, right under my right breast. I thought maybe I had just slept funny (we were on vacation, so not my normal bed) and I rolled over and went back to sleep. I was woken up 4 more times during the night.

The next morning (mind you, on vacation), my family and I went on a hike through Glacier MT. in Montana. I started having difficulty breathing, but brushed it off as altitude difference.

The next three days goes by and we drive back home. I am still having this pain (SEVERE PAIN, Taking a deep breath would bring me to my knees, holding my breath, I'd have no pain). I decide it's time to go to my doctor. He does a quick Xray in the office and tells me I have pneumonia.....well, I thought this was kind of odd as it was the middle of July! But, hey, he's the doc, right?

Two days later, I was walking from my bedroom to the kitchen and collapsed....911 was called and I was immediately taken to the ER only to find out I had a Pulmonary Embolism also called a PE or Blood Clot in Lung, the size of a softball! I was in ICU for about a week, regular hospital for a week and have life long pain ever since! I've had 3 additional PE's and have such severe scarring in my lungs that the inner/outer linings of my lung have fused together!

Pulmonary Embolisms are life threatening! Typically, a person has about 30 minutes from the time they pass to your lung until death occurs.

Now, whenever I have this pain (about 6-7 times a year) I'm immediately in the Emergency Room to make sure I'm not having another one.

Treatment will depend on where your blood clot formed, you'll receive blood thinners to start breaking up the clot, you may require surgery to remove the clot, they'll do a hematology study on you to see if you have a clotting disorder.

For me, all of my PE's have formed in my heart. Unfortunately, they cannot put a filter in the heart to ensure no clots pass through. However, the majority of clots form in your legs. Typically in a deep vein. If this is the case, your leg may swell and it may be painful. If you do develop clots in the legs, they can put a filter in your deep vein to keep clots out of your heart that will either go to your lung or your brain (in which case you stroke out).

Anyway....don't wait! Go get it checked out. Better to be safe than sorry!
|

replied November 10th, 2013
pain below breast bone and above top of rib cage
I have been having quick stabbing or prolonged dull pain in between my breast bone and the top of my rib cage. I experience the sharpest pain in that area right after I eat. I tend to eat normal size portions of food and so not stuff my self when eating. It started about two weeks ago and has yet to go away. I already had my gallbladder out vis endoscopic surgery ten years ago so I know it's not my gallbladder. The pain seems to be to high up to be my spleen and does not hurt as bad as if I had hernia. It could be a pinched nerve as what was mentioned above, but I have no health insurance and do not want to go to the doctors for him to tell me, "it's nothing". Or go spend money on tests that I can't afford for the results to be inconclusive. I've been thinking about going on a liquid diet for a bit to see if it calms to pain down. It seems to mostly happen after I eat, but now it's happening all the time, with or without food.
|

replied November 11th, 2013
I have been having this problem for a few years. Dull ache just under and behind my right breast. I love spicy foods, which they say causes gall stones in the gall bladder, thus mines was removed! When Iam in the sitting position and lean forward to reach down or over i feel like something is popping out of my rib cage and it seems to be getting more frequent now, I too do not know what is.causing this discomfort but it makes you paranoid, thinking all things. My GP checked to see if it was hernia but that was a no and I still do not know to this day, what is causing this. I think another trip to my GP would be best unless someone could explain what this can be????? Anyone out there got the answer, would be most grateful
|

replied November 11th, 2013
I have been having this problem for a few years. Dull ache just under and behind my right breast. I love spicy foods, which they say causes gall stones in the gall bladder, thus mines was removed! When Iam in the sitting position and lean forward to reach down or over i feel like something is popping out of my rib cage and it seems to be getting more frequent now, I too do not know what is.causing this discomfort but it makes you paranoid, thinking all things. My GP checked to see if it was hernia but that was a no and I still do not know to this day, what is causing this. I think another trip to my GP would be best unless someone could explain what this can be????? Anyone out there got the answer, would be most grateful
|