Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Knee Pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
: hello; for the past few weeks I have been experiencing a pain in my
: knee, it is just to the outside of my left knee cap. It is a
: very sharp pain, like hitting a raw nerve, or like an electrical shock.
: it happens totally at random. It can happen when I am walking,
: sitting, sleeping, etc. When the pain is not occurring, my knee feels
: completely normal. When it happens, it usually happens every few
: seconds or minutes, then stops for several hours. I am not aware of
: any injury or unusual stress to that area. Any ideas?

I have had an mri and the results showed a little arthritis - but the information I read on arthritis does not seem to match what I am feeling.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 5th, 2008
me too..
I know it's a bit late to ask, but did you ever get a reply to this or find out what it was? I have exactly the same thing...
|

replied September 8th, 2008
Knee pain
I did, my pain turned out to be my periformis muscle. It is one muscle in a group of about 20 muscles in your butt. This particular muscle runs down the back of your leg and in my case felt tight all the time. It appears that my sciatica nerve ran through this group of muscles and was being "choked” thus causing the "electrical shock" feelings I was having. I ended up having 4 injections, one in my lower back and three directly into the periformis muscle. The cortisone shots worked temporarily in the beginning but the third shot has worked for about 3 months now. The trick is to get the periformis muscle to relax using the shots and therapy first. If that does not work they suggest releasing the muscle by having surgery – luckily for me the third shot seems to be working.

It was a very long road, about 1 yr and 3 months before I was pain free. As you know - the pain is overwhelming both mentally and physically. Don't give up; see your doctor, a spine doctor and even a chiropractor if you have too. They are all there to help you and sometimes it just takes time to rule things out before you figure it out.

Good Luck
|

replied March 23rd, 2009
Prolotherapy
My friend has been having the same problem and he�s been receiving Prolotherapy treatments. It seems to be working pretty well for him. He�s had about 4 treatments and is feeling much better. He�s not 100% pain free of course (at least not yet), but is on his way. It has some excellent information about prolotherapy. Take a look, I hope it helps!
|

replied August 4th, 2009
Hi Tamiallen

I just read your post.I think Botox injection may be of great help to you if given correctly by skilled hands.It is the best spasm reliever but is a short term drug though.But I still think you should try it.
|

User Profile
replied December 6th, 2009
Supporter
I know this post is old but I have what is called a Bakers cyst and it will flair up with throbbing pain that makes it hard to walk..I can feel behind the knee and there is swelling from top of knee to the back..I am told not much cna be done except if gets really bad they can pull fluid off but it will return..k
|

replied February 25th, 2010
Hey sorry to hear about your knee pain. My mom tore her MCL stepping off a curb. He put off going to the doctor (Richard Kirkpatrick) for a few months. One way she was able to cope with the pain was with AMR-7 pain gel. It did give better relief than pain medication.
|

replied April 15th, 2010
The knees are the most easily injured part of the body. The largest and most complicated joint, the knee is used for everything from standing up, sitting, to walking, running, etc. It's a weight-bearing joint that straightens, bends, twists and rotates. All this motion increases your risk of acute or overuse knee injuries.
|

replied May 14th, 2010
Kate is right, knees are very prone to injury and pain. A sharp pain on the side sounds very much like a ligament strain or injury. Exercising the quads (thigh muscles) to strengthen the area will help as will ice and ultrasound. A home use ultrasound device can work wonders to relieve pain and improve and speed healing. You've got to get this under control or it can get much worse. Best of luck! Thanks.
|

replied October 4th, 2010
knee pain
I have a similar problem with my left knee, it is ok to walk but sitting and getting up hurt terribly. Also at night if my knee is bent it hurts severly to straighten it..this has been going on 3-4 motnhs..nothing seems to work, I take IB Profen and ice it but that really does nothing..any suggestions?
|

replied July 14th, 2013
Hi. I have exactly the same symptoms as the original post: excruciating sharp pain just outside to the left of my left knee cap that lasts about 10-15 seconds. It happens randomly, without a trigger, and occurs while sitting, lying down, standing walking, sleeping, etc. without warning (just as in the original post). Has anyone else had any luck treating this piriformis syndrome? My orthopedist diagnosed me with a torn meniscus and an impinging synovium. I had surgery to correct those, but these symptoms persist. Can anyone help?
|

replied August 16th, 2013
Knee pain can be triggered by everyday activities at home and at work, or it can develop gradually over time as a result of sitting, standing or lifting badly. Knee pain causes include:

* over weight also one of the reason for sudden knee pain
* lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling incorrectly
* slouching in chairs
* standing or bending down for long periods
* driving in a hunched position
* driving for long periods without taking a break
* Being unfit

Sometimes the pain develops suddenly for no apparent reason. Some people just wake up one morning with knee pain and have no idea what has caused it.
|

replied September 4th, 2013
Some of natural treatment for knee pain:-

> Get some rest. Stress may also be brought about by overworking which could lead to the pain on your knee. You can take time off from work then take a bed rest completely. Usually, the case is that it takes only some rest to cure the pain. A complete rest may be able to take the pain off as the inflamed joints can possibly subside.

> Ice packs and heat pads could be applied over the inflamed area to relieve the pain. If you are not sure which pack to apply, you may contact your doctor.

> Since athletes are exposed to more physical activities, they are more prone into struggling with injuries. Athletes who have a bad knee as a result of an injury can resort into using ligament knee support as it could also help in relieving the pain.

> Try stretching your limbs as these could lessen the pain that you feel. Instead of doing it just once, it is advisable to perform this routine on a daily basis. To get an idea on which physical exercises can help relieve the pain, consult with an orthopedic.

> A knee pain may also be treated with physical therapy. An orthopedic can give you reliable advice on how one can best put the strength back on your knees.

> Finally, drugs might help ease the pain. NSAIDs or Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are commonly prescribed to people who frequently experience knee pain. If you are suffering from a mild knee pain, NSAIDs can be an instantaneous solution but you have to get your physician's advice first.

There are many first aid supplies that you can find online. If you must find supplies to provide support for your knee as well as to manage your pain.
|

replied September 5th, 2013
@ Larner, thanks for sharing these munch of information about knee pain. According to my reseach and knowledge ice pack and heat pad will provide you temporarily pain relief to you. So it's better to take natural supplements for your pains or you can concern your family doctor for your problems.
|