Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

36 Week Appt. And No Dilation

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
This past friday I went for my 36 week check up. She checked me for that group b? So she went ahead and checked my cervix. She said its still high and closed Sad but the babys head is down Smile

has anyone else had their cervix like this and still have their baby before 40 weeks?? I dont want to be induced! I rather go in labor on my own but my doc wants to induce me if I *havent* made much progress before 40 weeks. I told her I rather not and I just let mother nature do her thing but she insistes(sp?)!! Even after she told me my baby will be on the small size! Shocked
im confused.


Last edited by alexa84 on January 7th, 2007 03:02 PM; edited 1 time in total
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I had that with my son he was born at 40 wks 2 days and with my daughter they checked at 37 wks my cervix was low but closed, she was born 2 days before her due date. So it really depends.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 7th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
You still have plenty of time for things to progress so try not to worry about it. If I were you i'd refuse to be induced, there's nothing wrong and plenty of people go up to 42 weeks. What is with doctors and inductions these days?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2007
Supporter
Personally, I think going a week over due is plenty time. If there is no concern and you don't want to be induced at 40 weeks, i'd let your doctor know of your own concern. Tell her you'd prefer to wait it out.

I went 17 days overdue, and I think that's bloody ridicules!--had to complain lol
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I was induced at 41 weeks and was not dilated at all. I should have waited for at least another week because I heard it's common to be a little late with your first. Being induced sucked! The labor was extremely hard and it took such a long time. It is probably because I wasn't dilated. I will never be induced again unless there is a significant medical reason. I would refuse as well, speaking from a horrible experience. If anyone is reading this that will b induced, sorry, this was just my experience but I also have no pain tolerance for even the simplest of pains.

I was thinking about this earlier and I wonder if doctors just want to induce because it provides some "knowing" time into their schedule. They are often on-call and by scheduling an induction they know approximately when the baby will arrive. Definitely refuse!!!!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 7th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
michelle1981 wrote:
personally, I think going a week over due is plenty time. If there is no concern and you don't want to be induced at 40 weeks, i'd let your doctor know of your own concern. Tell her you'd prefer to wait it out.


I went 17 days overdue, and I think that's bloody ridicules!--had to complain lol


I wouldnt mind going around 38 weeks but she said my baby will be around 5 1/2- 6 lbs at 40 weeks!! I love the thought of having a small baby, dont get me wrong lol, but she wants me to have her before then wouldnt she be smaller?? Gah I swear docs dont seem to be thinking these days.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2007
Supporter
alexa84 wrote:
michelle1981 wrote:
personally, I think going a week over due is plenty time. If there is no concern and you don't want to be induced at 40 weeks, i'd let your doctor know of your own concern. Tell her you'd prefer to wait it out.



I went 17 days overdue, and I think that's bloody ridicules!--had to complain lol


I wouldnt mind going around 38 weeks but she said my baby will be around 5 1/2- 6 lbs at 40 weeks!! I love the thought of having a small baby, dont get me wrong lol, but she wants me to have her before then wouldnt she be smaller?? Gah I swear docs dont seem to be thinking these days.

why would she want you to have her before then?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 7th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
ladylee70 wrote:
being induced sucked! The labor was extremely hard and it took such a long time. It is probably because I wasn't dilated. I will never be induced again unless there is a significant medical reason. I would refuse as well, speaking from a horrible experience. If anyone is reading this that will b induced, sorry, this was just my experience but I also have no pain tolerance for even the simplest of pains.


i had a horrible induction experience too. I was 3 days overdue but needed to be induced because he had a decel (heartrate dropped to 60) during my last non stress test. I have a high pain tolerance and it was still by far the worst pain i've ever been in. After 12 hours of hard back labor (and excruciating pain) I was only at 2cm and I ended up with a c-section.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 7th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
My friend's doctor talked her into a c-section 5 day .B.E.F.O.R.E her due date because she said that it's safe and it'll hurt her either day, so she went for it. What the hell was that doctor's problem? Why not let her go to her due date at least? Doctors are getting lazy. It was right before xmas. I think the dr just didn't want to be bothered during xmas.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 7th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: 36 Week Appt. And No Dilation
alexa84 wrote:
this past friday I went for my 36 week check up. She checked me for that group b? So she went ahead and checked my cervix. She said its still high and closed Sad but the babys head is down Smile

has anyone else had their cervix like this and still have their baby before 40 weeks?? I dont want to be induced! I rather go in labor on my own but my doc wants to induce me if I *havent* made much progress before 40 weeks. I told her I rather not and I just let mother nature do her thing but she insistes(sp?)!! Even after she told me my baby will be on the small size! Shocked
im confused.



thats is something that can happen in a matter of a few hours and not to stress too much about it. I was not dilated at all until 39 weeks and went into to labour 40 weeks and 2 days. When I arrived at the hospital I was only 4 cm dilated and 2 hours later I was 8!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 7th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
alexa84 wrote:
michelle1981 wrote:
personally, I think going a week over due is plenty time. If there is no concern and you don't want to be induced at 40 weeks, i'd let your doctor know of your own concern. Tell her you'd prefer to wait it out.




I went 17 days overdue, and I think that's bloody ridicules!--had to complain lol


I wouldnt mind going around 38 weeks but she said my baby will be around 5 1/2- 6 lbs at 40 weeks!! I love the thought of having a small baby, dont get me wrong lol, but she wants me to have her before then wouldnt she be smaller?? Gah I swear docs dont seem to be thinking these days.



a doctor told me that I would have a small baby too, a small 6 pounder... Nathan was almost 10 lbs.....Mind you a went 2 week over as well.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2007
Community Volunteer
iheartmybostonterrier wrote:
what is with doctors and inductions these days?

money.

Think about it, your hospital only gets paid for what they do right?
So if all they do is stand by while you have a successful natural birth - there is no money in it for them.

If however, they fill you with drugs, force the baby out early, give the baby neo natal care, keep mom in an extra day - it's all money for the hospital from your insurance company.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 7th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
In canada it is against the law to let a woman go 2 weeks overdue ...Its dangerous! The most theyll go here is 1 week.....And I really am a firm believer that 40 week mark is necessary if it is achieveable....
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 8th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: 36 Week Appt. And No Dilation
alexa84 wrote:
this past friday I went for my 36 week check up. She checked me for that group b? So she went ahead and checked my cervix. She said its still high and closed Sad but the babys head is down Smile

has anyone else had their cervix like this and still have their baby before 40 weeks?? I dont want to be induced! I rather go in labor on my own but my doc wants to induce me if I *havent* made much progress before 40 weeks. I told her I rather not and I just let mother nature do her thing but she insistes(sp?)!! Even after she told me my baby will be on the small size! Shocked
im confused.



I think thats kinda stupid that your doctor wants to induce you before your due date Confused I think that maybe you should try talking to her and telling her about your concerns about getting induced before your due date. I know that I would totally refuse unless if there some kind of concern about my babys and my health but anyway kia I totally agree with you its all about money Confused
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied March 3rd, 2009
i am in 40 weeks passed 4 days
Hi i am bit worried about not dilating i am 40 weeks passed 4 days pregnant and my cervix is not yet opened.Is it ok to wait for 1 more week or do i need to go for c-section .Any suggestions please let me know what to do to get cervix open i dont see any signs of contracations.
|
Did you find this post helpful?