Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Infectious Diseases Forum

Rabies?

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
I was bitten by a not so nice looking dog about 48 hours ago, at a beach. I live in southamerica, chile. Rabies on dogs are not very common but a dog without owner may have rabies. ---i did not see any symptoms on the dog though; no saliva and not so aggressive behavior. The dog was trying to catch a ball.

The bit was not significant at all, did not bleed. It was on my arm and left me numerous scratches but no bleed or wound. But then I started searching for any bleeding more closely and I found 2 very tiny spots of only 1mm wide where I could see blood, but it wasn't coming out. I washed my arm with sea water. Few hours later I cleaned with alcohol. Is it enough for rabies to mix with my blood stream?

Since the blood contact was very small, if I have the virus it should probably reach my central nervous system after many months. I read that rabies can start with it's lethal symptoms after even a year. If it were my case, pep injections would last so much time?

What should I do?

Pd I cant visit easily the dog again to see appearing symptoms on it because I left the beach.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 3rd, 2007
To be on the safe side id go to the doctor and get an anti rabies injection. Better safe than sorry. Dying of rabies is a fairly !**@! way to die.
|
Did you find this post helpful?