Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Hypertension And Marijuana

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
I am a mild marijuana user, I smoke maybe once or twice a week (one or two bowels) and am just wondering what is the relationship between marijuana and hypertension?

I have low hypertension, my doctor says he wouldnt even call it stage one, but just elevated blood pressure. I was on a very mild dosage of blood pressure medicine and it really didnt do anything. I eat normal, excersice regularly and check my blood pressure every once and a while. My numbers are averaging 135/80.

I have read tons of articles on the issue, and have looked at both sides. There is a 20 heart beat increase within the first hour of use, but thats about the same as walking up a flight of stairs. I do realize that chronic smokers have great risks that are about equivilant to regular tobacco use.

Dale gieringer, ph.D, states however that the main drug found in marijuana, thc, may help reduce the risk of artherosclerosis. He also states that the increase in heart rate isn't significant enough to pose a threat, and that mild usage of the drug isn't as big of a problem as the media sometimes claims.

So basically what it boils down to is, do I really have a great risk in using marijuana with my mild hypertention? And lastly, can someone clear up the myths and truths about marijuana usage in relation to the heart.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile vrtigo
|

replied August 2nd, 2009
marijuana and hypertension
I have high blood pressure 170/102 avg and up till now no medicine really helps a friend told me to smoke 20 min after smoke my readings go 117/75 and heart rate up 20 like you say I'm experimenting but this is going to save my life as
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2009
Weed for medicinal reasons: Chronic pain, hypertension relief
i also have horrible blood pressure. i am on 6 medications that are basically worthless. I also have chronic migrane pain issues. On a normal day my BP is 215/135, and when my everyday migrane turns into a monster is shoots up to well over 250... i am not an avid smoker. I've always liked it, but just never made the connection. I've started to use pot as a pain reliever for my massive headaches and came to realize that there were significant improvments to my BP even after the high was gone. i went from 250is down to 180's... and thats a victory in my book. i was really very excited about this unexpected perk. Good luck with your hypertension... and make sure your doc's stay on top of it. because believe me once it starts getting out of control it goes bad real fast. And i wouldn't wish all that i've had to go through on anyone. So i hope this helps... and good luck =0)
|

User Profile
replied November 10th, 2009
I used cannabis for 5 years, and have had panic attacks and anxiety because of it. If I were you now, I would quit now. Its just not worth it.
|

replied December 13th, 2009
Proven Medical Uses for Marijuana
I've used cannabis for well over five years now. I used to have hypertention along with panic attacks and anxiety and in fact it was my doctor that suggested that I start using cannabis to help control my attacks. Once I started using cannabis my panic attacks and anxiety are virtually none existant. Cannabis comes in different types of strains and I find that Indica is the best strain for controlling high BP and anxiety. Anyone who has used cannabis knows that it doesn't cause you to get overly excited. It calms you down and allows you to relax. I also find that its the people that have never used cannabis and are just against it that make claims that i causes them to panic and become anxious. Rather then using your bias opinion, you might want to try it and you'll find that it actually works. Don't just make a claim bacause you think that cannabis is bad. Now if there was a medication I could take to help my spelling....
|

replied December 13th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Marijuana when smoked causes the same plaguing of the arteries that cigarette smoking does. Most users smoke considerably less, but smoking is such a massive contributor to HBP. Unless you're strictly eating marijuana, I can't imagine whatever medically undocumented benefits you gain from marijuana out paces the damage you do to yourself by smoking it.

If you are smoking Marijuana its urgent you disclose this to your doctor. THC can interfere with ace inhibitors and beta blockers and I imagine a lot of the other neurochems used to fight High Blood Pressure..
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2010
marijuana and hypertension
i have high bp 230/117 even 301/107 dr do nothing meds dont help if i smoke a joint my bp will go down to like 170/90 with in 20 min of the first hit this the only time i smoke when my bp is so high my headache and ringing in ears are unbearable but i have kept a log of before and after readings of smoking and i can see the great benifit this has on my life
|

replied January 28th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
If your BP is crossing 220 and your doctor is doing nothing then you need a real doctor. Even if you're at 170/90 and your doctor isn't medicating you and reccomending dietary options you need to find a new physician. It's great if Marijuana is keeping you alive but you don't want an addictive drug being the only thing that keeps your heart rate out of stroke range. Get on a medication that works.
|

replied February 28th, 2010
Still on Marijuana
I wonder if anyone who experienced it and compares the side affects of marijuana to BP medication what will they recommend. I used to take 5 different pills per day to get the desired result. This is what happened, impotency, weakness slow metabolism, weight gain, swollen legs to the degree that they became infected, sinus problems, cant sleep, serious mineral loss, etc.
Now I can play with the kids again, I'm losing weight, and are starting exercises without getting dizzy.
And the side affects?
I posted here last August and I have finally thrown away all pills accept for natural supplements and try to smoke twice a day (very small 4 to five draws is sufficient) I believe that one can actually eat it if its baked??
The story that sells is the story thats told, the doctor wants to sell his pills and the dealer wants to sell marijuana, if you want to live find out for yourself.
Lastly I believe the biggest problem is doctors don't know why your BP is high so they guess what to give you, so if your BP is high and a low dosage medication works for you stay with it.
|

replied April 9th, 2011
all you people are just weed haters its different for every person just because u smoke weed doesint mean your going to have panic attacks and anxiety it axualy reduces anxiety even after use so it really depends on the person caz if u are haveing panic attacks and exiety ona reguler basis u probly have other problems too i mean comeon dont blame the cannabus it was put on this earth for one reason to smoke it
|

replied October 21st, 2011
hypertension and marijuana
I am a chain smoker and a casual marijuana user. But recently i found my BP was 180/100. It was incidental but on routine check ups, it was still around 160/100. doc have not recommended any medicines for hypertension as i am just 25 yrs old but they have adviced me to quit smoking. I am trying to do so but it is really hard for me. I hav studied pharmacy and i know that cannabinoids are used to reduce blood pressure in longterm use but it also increases heart rate by 20 beats. So, can anyone tell me dat is it beneficial to smoke cannabis(marijuana) for my health and also to quit ciggerates... I am really desperate...
|