Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Strange Feeling Under Shoulder Blade

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hello. I woke up about 1-2 months ago with a really bad pain in my upper back/left shoulder blade area. It was hard to turn my head without turning my body, making it hard to drive. The pain was the worst on the 1st and 2nd say, but gradually decreased over the next week or so. I thought I must have slept wrong, or twisted something the day before at work.

Well, soon after the pain went away, I started noticing a strange "numbness" or "tickling" sensation in the area below my left shoulder blade. It felt like a bug was crawling under my skin, and the area affected was quite small. It only came occasionally, and when it came, if I moved around a bit, and stretched, it went away.

It sort of comes and goes. It rarely happens while sitting or driving. Or, if I am carrying a piece of work equipment in my left hand, it doesn't happen. Sometimes, if it starts to happen while walking, I place a heavy object in my left hand, it goes away.

What i've noticed is that now it doesn't feel so much like a bug crawling under the skin, and it doesn't tickle, it simply feels like a generalized numbness...Over a slightly broader area.

I feel no pain at all, which made me doubt that it is a pinched nerve. But maybe it is. The only pain I feel in the area is when I do the dishes for my wife, or laundry...When my hands are extended out in front of my body for 10 to 15 minutes. Then I feel some pain, like a normal back ache. But when I quit dishes and sit down, the pain goes away.

Any ideas on what I may be dealing with here? I intend to see a doctor soon, but since we have no insurance, I must wait for the money to do so. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. I feel like it might be getting a little better, for simple reason that the tingling, crawling sensation in a small area has given way to a general numbness over a slightly larger area.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 11th, 2007
I'd say that if you "woke up" with a really bad pain in my upper back/left shoulder blade area...It was probably a result of sleeping in a wrong position. Either that or it's poor circulation.

Sincerely,
servant
|

replied February 14th, 2007
Experienced User
Sounds like you have parasthesia, which is the compression of a nerve causing the tingling sensation. The area feeling this sensation is a dermatone, a specific area (small in your case) which is supplied by a particular nerve. Im sure it will sort itself out sooner or later Wink
|

replied April 17th, 2009
strangly similar
i actualy had almost the exact thing happen to me, the stiff neck has also gone away but the sensation in my back is still there and becoming more fequent, i've been meaning to see a doctor but just haven't found the time.
|

replied September 3rd, 2010
khan
Dear swordav1611
I have exact the same exact thing happening like bug crawling on my left shoulder blade in small area. some time its hurting.you are right when I am washing the dish or cooking someting it start hurting me and when I sit it go aways. when I talked to my Doctor she say that it is Acid Reflux or GERD. By the ways I have GERD problem too. But I am not sure is my Doc is right or wrong.
|

replied January 23rd, 2011
I have the same thing on the right side. It feels like something to crawling on me but nothing is there. I've had it for a few months but havne't gone to get it checked.
|