Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Luteal Phase

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
User Profile
Does anyone know if it is a bad thing for my luteal phase to be short? It was only about 10 days long this time.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 1st, 2007
Experienced User
What do you mean "this time"? Your leutal phase is normally very stable, meaning of it is 14 days, it will be consistently 14 days......Unless your hormones are way out of wack.

But if your lp is 10 days, a normal lp is 10 days or more....Anything shorter than that is a problem, because there will not be enough time for the baby to implant......If it were me, I would get it checked out because its right on the cusp.
|

Active User, very eHealthy
I was just reading about this recently. My hubby bought a book on getting pregnant for me for x-mas. It is called "the fastest way to get pregnant naturally," by christopher d. Williams. I'm sure other books have similar information. I'll go get the book and see...

A short luteal phase is called "luteal phase deficiency" or lpd. It is defined as less than 11 days from the bbt spike to af. The book suggests talking to your doctor about it. The book also says that lpd is more common in thin or athletic women. It says that in the case of athletic women, lpd is often reversed by lowering the amount or intensity of exercise. For example, the author recommends that runners decrease their weekly mileage, avoid running everyday, and run slower. He also recommends that athletes make sure they are getting enough protein, iron, and zinc. In thin women, the author recommends gaining 5% of your weight.

I hope your doctor can help. Good luck!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Well, this is the first month I have really been charting everything. I was on birth control for 4 years and have been off them for about six months now. This is our second month trying to conceive. Since I went off the pill my cycles have not been regular at all. For about two months they were 26 days. Then, they went to 30 days. Then for two months it was 35 days long. This month I went back to 26 days. My chart on ff did confirm my ovulation. It shows my luteal phase was 11 days not 19. Sorry about that. I was just curious because I just don't know what's going on with my body. This was the first month that I just didn't really really think I was preggo. I didn't get sore boobs or anything like I normally do before af. I ordered ovulex and hopefully it will get here soon. I would rather use natural supplements to try and achieve a pregnancy. I just bought that book too by the way. I haven't got to read very much yet though. Sorry this is so long but thanks much for the comments guys.
|

Mg - remember, I was on the pill for 12 years and just came off the very beginning of june this year. My af's were about 45-51 days apart. I only had 3 of them in 7 mths, so don't worry too much about your cycles being 26-35 days apart. We were trying for just over 6 months, and someone did mention that it seemed to be the "magical number" these days....6 mths to conceive, and that's what it took me!!!!
My cycles never did regulate, but you may be like me and conceive before your af becomes regular! You sound stressed about it. I feel for you, but hang in there, it will come....I promise!!! Wink
here's some happy and baby dust for you! Keep me posted. How many bottles of ovulex did you order?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I only ordered one to see how it did this month. I am actually am not too stressed right now. I just want to be as educated as I can about everything. I have a few reasons why. I am still in college and my husband and I have recently decided that instead of getting my nursing degree first I am going to go ahead and change to pre med and go ahead to med school after that. We want to go ahead and have at least one kid before I start med school because if we wait it might be hard to have a child later and it's something we really want. Some people think we're crazy to do it first but when I am in med school I won't have to work and brandon won't have to work as much either. We know it's going to be hard either way but it's just the best time for us. I know that if it's meant to happen it will happen. I just want to be educated on everything possible so I can do this the smart way.
|

Wow, you're ambitious mg.

Yes, your short luteal phase might be due to coming off the pill so recently. I know ideally, doctors want patients to wait a few months after coming off the pill, but who wants to wait? Wink hopefully, you'll get your bfp soon or at least you'll get a normal luteal phase.

I actually tend to be on the short side as well, but I have no indication that it is because of lpd.

(oops, I edited this to say "bfp" instead of "bfn" - that was a mistake.)
|

Mg - good for you girl! I was on my way to pre-med when everything just fell apart for me.(long story!!) I love medicine and hope that you do great in it!!!!
There is no "perfect time" in anyone's life to start a family. Ideal, yes, but perfect, no. So whatever you and your husband decide is right for you, then it is right, no matter what!!!!!
I htink you will see your bfp soon. You are doing alot of good things to help you along the way, and educating yourself is wonderful. Why not know everything there is to know about your body, how it works and the best ways to conceive a child! Wink
baby dust to mg!!!
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Thanks guys! You are all so supportive. You are right jae, there's a big difference between ideal and perfect. I still have about two and a half years before going to med school so I have plenty of time to keep trying. I will update you guys if anything new happens. Thanks again!
|

replied January 2nd, 2007
Mg - you're so sweet Wink
you have lots of time and you'll be great and get your "wish" soon....I know it! Keep us posted ok girl!
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Mg- don't worry about your cycle being abnormal. Mine was abnormal but as long as I charted I knew exactly when I was ovulating. I know that I ovulated on dec. 9 and I really think that we conceived that night. As long as you chart you should be good.
|

replied January 4th, 2007
Musik - I ovulated on dec.11th.....I thought you were further along than me?! Did I miscalculate things, and I am further along than I thought?!!!!!! I was figuring I am about 5 weeks, 3 days or so as of today.
|
Tags: pregnant
Quick Reply