Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Can a Hernia Cause Constipation/bowel Problems?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I was diagnosed with 2 inguinal hernias recently and it coincided with a change in my bm's - constipation & thin stools. Anyone have any idea if this is something that can happen because of a hernia? I did have some discomfort initially with straining etc. I am a male in my early 30's. Hope the bm change is not some other serious condition. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper moet
|

User Profile
replied December 24th, 2010
im beginning to wonder aswell if hernias are causing problems , as i have had 2 surgeries for inguinal hernias 1 at 9 mths old and 1 at 26 i aqm 46 soon and i know my hernias were along time ago but i had alot of pain in my front abdomen from the mesh repair hernia i went to the surgeon who did it and told him im having issues with bm and alot of pain where hernias were he just blew it off all the drs i have seen just blow it off , like constipation is a joke so check it out
|

replied April 14th, 2011
Bowel - Hernia - troubles
I don't know if laoks9999 is still out there but if you are please let me know if you ever got this resolved. I'm a male in my mid 30s who also had the exact same symptoms of constipation and thin stools as a result of a left inquinal hernia. I had it repaired two years ago and that seemed to help a little but two years later I'm still struggling with most of the same symptoms. It also seems to worsen with any heavy lifting or staining. Did you ever find resolution to your problem?
|

replied April 28th, 2011
I had same issue constipation, hard stools few months later I was told I have two small Hernias..........
|

replied October 1st, 2011
recurring hernia's causing bowel problems.
Hi all,
I am a female age 47.I was having abdominal pain and what i thought was IBS.This problem was investigated with colonoscopy,mri scan,x-rays etc in 2009 and all tests inc MRI&CT SCAN were normal.Luckly my consultant took me serious and a lapaoscopy was performed.Thank-God it was as my normal condition/suspected appendix turned out to be a strangulated bowel by an inguinal hernia!! Hernia was repaired/meshed and a section of dead intestines took out.I was told i had been like that for years,stating a total abdominal hysterectomy to be the cause of the hernia.Had hysterectomy in 2005 and it was a complicated op in 2005.In 2007 i had a prolapsed bladder,hence another big abdominal op.No hernia seen then.It was 2009 that the hernia/strangulation of my bowel was operated on.I now have same problems/symptoms as then and i am due for surgery again on the 14th october.It does seem that hernia's can cause bowel problems?? Hope i get sorted once and for all this time.
|

replied November 20th, 2011
Post op!
Hi all again.Had my planned laparoscopy again on the 14/11/2011.
My usual routine tests, ie ct scan,MRI scan and various other tests that were NORMAL!, turned out to be chronic appendix( been suffering for years with pain&other symptoms that go hand in hand with this hard to diagnose condition.As different to acute appendicitis) We all aware of.I found out that 2 years previous with the strangulated bowel by a hernia was close to my appendix, so to risky to remove.This time taken out as inflamed.Alongside another couple of hernia's,one caused from previous laparoscopy lol.A new one and re mesh of previous one.Also learnt that a llarge area of adhesions removed last time, when surgeon separated bowel from bladder,as that had fused after bladder repair! This time same surgeon also separated back of bowel fused to stomach! My surgeon discussed a technique that he removed,repaired and seperated etc via laparoscopy and three incisions (small) on left side of body.Was much better than the full big cut,a laparotomy that was originally decided.It is a vicious cycle for patients and surgeons of repeated surgery causing more problems long term.I feel better for appendix removed but still suffering constipation then after eating sometimes start with excessive cramps,spasms and diahorria.Nasty attacks lasting days! I was hopefull that the chronic appendix and hernia's were causing the excessive IBSEN symptoms.I see my consultant on the 30/11/2011 for post op check.My gp thinks I've got divertiticulousis but nothing shown during my last colonoscopy??? Wait and see!
|

replied July 6th, 2013
moet You need to see an rd. a real doctor
|

replied November 10th, 2011
Hi,
I am 42 year old female, I thought that I was having a heart attack 2 years ago , last year found out that I had Hiatal Henia, I found that constipation is a big part of it, I don't know why there isn't more research about that. Nevertheless, this is what work for me, drinking lots of water specially while standing, massage the stomach downward from the chest cavity, and my secret weapon some BADIA SLIMMING TEA, 100% cassia acutifolia a powerful laxative just add on tea bag to 6oz of hot water. 2oz should stop the burning almost instantly, the rest help to have bowel movement in about 4-6 hrs. good luck
|

replied November 20th, 2011
Hernia and colonoscopy
I'm 58 and had a colonoscopy which revealed diverticulosis which in turn causes constipation. This caused me to force and resulted in a hernia. My advice: EVERYONE 50 AND OLDER GET A COLONOSCOPY, If I had 8 years ago i would not have had a hernia.
|

replied July 7th, 2013
Recurring hernis's & Ibs symptoms.
Hi, all again, Thanks Zambuca for your reply.
Since my last post in Nov 2011. I have still carried on with bowel problems!! so all the different hernia repairs, removing adhesions & appendix etc, Not helped with bowel.
Sorted probs that we're found & fixed at the time, But obviously the more surgery you have the more adhesions & hernia's etc seem to develop.
I now cannot carry on like I am with constipation/ loose stools. Abdo pain were appendix use to be?? Have had abccess in that area following last op.
I am very unwell in myself, Lost over 2stone.Just movement of walking up the stairs, Starts cramps & BM attacks off. I can hardly eat anymore either. As usual, Finally saw my surgeon again last October 2012. Had another colonoscopy. That resulted in a terrible infection & made my probs worse?? Including my bladder prolapsing again!
All CT scans for perforation & inflammation etc, As usual for me, Showing normal??? So strange that even the strangled bowel by a hernia didn't show up??? Very worrying, That nothing shows up on the CT & MRI scans??? But every time my surgeon looks in abdomen.He finds all different problems!
So I am now waiting for another laparoscopy. Very risky for me now, Due to all the surgery over last 8 years. It will be done via a technique from the left side of the abdomen again. All my probs have been on the right side of abdomen & in the middle, Hence to weak to take normal route of scopes. I will see what shows up & hope I don't get a bowel perforation during the surgery done!!! Once he has hopefully found what's wrong this time?? And I have recovered as it will proberbly turn into major surgery following the look around say.
I have got to have another bladder& Gyne repair done then!! This 2nd bladder repair is risky & I have been told I am at high risk of not being able to pass water naturally after!!
I now feel got no choice but to take the risks of the laparoscopy & get any hernia's or adhesions, perforations, like a fistula in abdomen from last op fixed.
Feel can't delay 2nd bladder& Gyne prolapse either, As now got blood in my water samples & can't lift anything etc. I also very uncomfortable with the heavy feeling from the prolapse & infections won't clear up if the bladder can't empty properly again.
All my hernia's and bowel problems all started from a very complicated full abdominal hysterectomy when I was 40, That was 8 years ago!!
Zambuca, I was gonna change my surgeon as been getting fobbed off the last year. But turns out he the best surgeon around for miles for my problems!! Lol.
I hope one day to feel better & less pain & severe bowel symptoms, But it seems it is a rolling stone. You go from one op, To more problems.
Does feel never ending for me. Adhesions & hernia's repaired etc, DONT stop bowel problems. I have looked at my life style, Medication, Lactose free products tried etc, But to no help. Will say that constipation plays a Very big part in hernia's after straining & the intestines get blocked causing narrowing etc. I have now got diverticulosis due to constipation I think & a bowel re-section. Avoid medication with codeine in, But don't have to much fibre in your diet. I know fibre is recommended for constipation but it also makes the loose stools worse & seems to irate the bowel.Hence you get bowel sensitivity to food, drinks, medication etc.
My hernis's & bowel problems would have been ok if my hysterectomy had gone to plan & if someone had told me to avoid codeine & avoid constipation, straining, Lifting etc for at least 18 months after surgery. I think once one hernia is repaired, You have to be very careful for ever, As recurring issues are very common. Good luck, Everyone. You are not alone with frustrating, recurring bowel problems following surgery.
|
Quick Reply