Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

Red And Irritated Baby's Butt

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
Our 2-week old infant son is passing 5-7 stools per day, usually during or immediately after a feeding. We can count on one or two stool being "the dominant" stools of the day. There is usually some grunt-related effort with this; sometimes it just passes without effort. The stools themselves seem ordinary enough (mustard color and seedy).

What we have noticed is that his rear/butt around the anus is getting red and irritated (though, he does not cry when as we clean him with pampers sensitive wipes). We have used desitin for the past few days and it has not improved (nor does it seem to be getting worse).

Does anyone have experience with this and have any recommendations? Our pediatrician said to use desitin or a&d ointment and take him to the office in a week or so if the irritation persists.

I am also wondering if we should stop cleaning with pampers wipes every time and start using a warm damp cloth, or is wiping our newborn's butt that often going to cause irritation whatever you use? Question
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Try patting to get rid of the soil instead of wiping. Rinsing with water would probably help too if you have the time and patience to do that. If the skin is not broken and the baby is happy when you are wiping him, then there's probably nothing to worry about.
|

replied April 26th, 2008
Experienced User
You may try a different wipe (could be sensitive to the one your are using) or just a warm wash cloth. Also, make sure his little bottom is very dry and not moist before putting his diaper on. I am sure the Desitin will work, but it make take a few days. Congratulations on your little one!
|

replied March 21st, 2012
Ok, were dealing with this with my 8 week old. Have been for a whilr. I assume your little one is breast fed? My Dr suggested this and it has been a HUGE help! Take a cotton ball and put some mylanta, (liquid acid reducer) and dab it on the red irritated area! Also another thing I noticed that helped was fresh air. Its no fun, especially with boys but I laid down an adult sized towel and laid him down naked to let it have air.
|

replied April 2nd, 2012
The same thing happen to me when my son was 2 weeks old and the doctor prescribed a cream that is called nystatin and triamcinolone acetonide it worked really good his bottom was really irritated and with in a day you can see the difference just destine only didn't work for me in the mean time what I did was change his diaper apply the cream and hold his legs up so the cream didn't go straight to the diaper also if he's really irritated I washed him with water and blow dry his bottom also corn starch can be used as powered and works great for absorbing moisture hope this helped good luck!!
|