Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Non-drug Techniques/treatments

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I'm in my senior year of college and getting ready to graduate in may.

Since my sophomore year, i've been feeling gradually worse and worse every month, and I don't know why. It seems I can't decide who I am. I'm incredibly lonely but then as soon as a girl starts to get close to me, something happens and I panic and end up pushing her away. I like the idea of being a driven career man but then I also know in my heart of hearts that much later on, when i'm 60, I will regret not stopping to "enjoy" life.

Some days are very good and I accomplish a lot. For each good day, however, there is an incredibly bad day in which I sometimes end up shutting down and just staring at the wall for three hours in silence (this happened yesterday).

I wear a mask of sorts in public, and especially in front of my parents. I have a fantastic life and I cannot imagine having a better upbringing, and therefore I have always thought that they do not deserve to have my problems on their minds. So, outwardly, I maintain a jovial facade so that people will stay off my back. I suppose i've done this all my life.

My chosen career path is one that requires...Stability. When I begin my job in a few months, there will be many background checks, etc. Including my medical history, and because of that I have never gone to see a campus counselor because I do not want my records blemished.

I know it seems like I have systematically shut down all possible avenues of help to myself, but as I said, I guess i've lived my whole life this way (kind of a misfit as a kid) and now i'm sleeping in the bed I made.

I can't do pills. Are there any mental techniques or daily practices that I could do to help boost my self-esteem/confidence/happiness? I have no right to be unhappy, given my life situation, and I hate myself for being so selfish. If I were outward looking in, my advice to myself would be a slap in the face and simple "shut up and get out there."

clearly, however, that is not working for me any more.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 16th, 2006
Depression
The stress of an arduous education can drive anyone to frazzles. Don't be afraid of asking the student health center for assistance. I bet they can keep it all confidential.
|

Experienced User
Depression And Medication
Stress and daily living can wreck havoc on your mind. Taking medication helps you to cope(something to do with your seratonin levels in your brain) talk to a doctor and a therapist. It won't hurt.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Mav
You are not being selfish! Look at your carreer that you have worked long and hard for, counseling has a lot to do with helping others! Their is nothing wrong with wanting to help yourself!
I am not a dr but there is a privacy act. If you do not want to go to a regular dr or a psychiatrist then try a homeopathic dr or go to a health food store and tell them it is about a friend of yours you want to help, they might be able to suggest something like an herb or sam-e or whatever and like some have said here that just the regular everyday thinfs of life can get you down plus the holidays but maybe you just have to break out of your shell or break down that wall that you have built and maybe you might just need a little help.
Remember we are here for you even if you just need to vent.
Also you can tell yourself and I have had to do this a couple of times that today is the 1st day for the rest of my life.
Their is nothing wrong in asking for help!
|

replied December 17th, 2006
Non Drug Techniques For Depression
This page below has natural ways to heal depression from a psychiatrist telling about what your doctor may not tell you about depression. Click on natural healing page. Then see page rx for happiness that can increase self-esteem and help you you become happier.

Edit
|

replied December 28th, 2006
Experienced User
Re: Non-drug Techniques/treatments
mav wrote:
i'm in my senior year of college and getting ready to graduate in may.

Since my sophomore year, i've been feeling gradually worse and worse every month, and I don't know why. It seems I can't decide who I am. I'm incredibly lonely but then as soon as a girl starts to get close to me, something happens and I panic and end up pushing her away. I like the idea of being a driven career man but then I also know in my heart of hearts that much later on, when i'm 60, I will regret not stopping to "enjoy" life.

Some days are very good and I accomplish a lot. For each good day, however, there is an incredibly bad day in which I sometimes end up shutting down and just staring at the wall for three hours in silence (this happened yesterday).

I wear a mask of sorts in public, and especially in front of my parents. I have a fantastic life and I cannot imagine having a better upbringing, and therefore I have always thought that they do not deserve to have my problems on their minds. So, outwardly, I maintain a jovial facade so that people will stay off my back. I suppose i've done this all my life.

My chosen career path is one that requires...Stability. When I begin my job in a few months, there will be many background checks, etc. Including my medical history, and because of that I have never gone to see a campus counselor because I do not want my records blemished.

I know it seems like I have systematically shut down all possible avenues of help to myself, but as I said, I guess i've lived my whole life this way (kind of a misfit as a kid) and now i'm sleeping in the bed I made.

I can't do pills. Are there any mental techniques or daily practices that I could do to help boost my self-esteem/confidence/happiness? I have no right to be unhappy, given my life situation, and I hate myself for being so selfish. If I were outward looking in, my advice to myself would be a slap in the face and simple "shut up and get out there."

clearly, however, that is not working for me any more.

i am not going to go into detail at the mo, since the admin's are having a little trouble with the site being hacked and therefore posts are disappearing.

I posted something on cognitive therapy and how it goes hand in hand with light trance (hypnosis) yesterday.

You can help yourself a great deal by reading up yourself.

You may want a therapist, or even a kick start from a therapist, but you have the power.

Because the site is dodgy at the mo, feel free to pm me on the issue
|