Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Autistic Child Has Seizure Followed By a Fibrillated Heart.

Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...
Hi, I have a very important question. My brother who has autism was brought to the hospital by ambulance this past sunday. My mother over heard him in the bathroom sounding like he was throwing up. When she arrived to check him, he was convulsing and eyes rolling into the back of his head. My father was frantic trying to find out what was going on, when he collapsed in my father's arms, and lost consciousness. My father immediatelly administered cpr, and after a few minutes he started to breathe again, but had no power in his body what so ever. The ambulance arrived and off he went with a "fibrillated heart". He was in the hospital for a few days where they took so many tests of him. Chest xray, blood work, ultra sound of the heart, cat scan and mri's. They found nothing. His heart stayed fibrillated for about two days, before the medication they gave him through the iv started to work. His heart rate is now in the normal 70's thank god, but he still has to take the medication, because they dont know if it is possible it will happen again. After all this testing, we still dont know what happened to my brother, and we are deathly afraid to even go to sleep at night without keeping an eye on him. Can anyone possibly tell me what this may be?? My brother is autisitic and cannot speak, so unfortunately he cant tell us what exactly happened. Can anyone please help me with this topic?? Thank you very much!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 16th, 2006
Experienced User
It may be related to his autism or it may be totally unrelated..................As he cannot speak, how are all his other skills?Does he understand not to put foreign objects in his mouth?Is he on a strict diet?...............Many with autism have moderate to severe allergies............Dont dismiss right away...........As we all know the effects of someone with a peanut allergy............Death...........And then there are those with less threatening allergies...............But when an allergic reaction happens it can come in many forms............Its basically treating the sustance as a foreign invader and the body can react in most unpredictable ways..........................With my son.........Sugar will get him extremely giddy and spin in circles............Hes also very allergic to common things such as beef, pork, bananas and ginger....................Think about it, when a person gets a reaction its natural to assume that the heart rate will go up. Get him a reliable lab test for allergies.....................Also if not to be trusted...............Lock up all possible threats............Cleaning stuffs, medications etc

it may be that in addition to autism he has an unknown dual dx.............Only with time and investigation the truth will be revealed Smile
|
Did you find this post helpful?