Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Nasal polyp

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
User Profile
Recently I have had sinus problems and cold-like symptons (nasal discharge, stuffy nose, etc.). One morning I felt an especially strong blockage on my right side between my upper nose and cheek area. It was driving me crazy because I could feel the blockage and it wasn't like normal discharge that you can just blow out onto your Kleenex. After trying fairly hard to blow it out, I leaned over my bathroom sink and blew very hard several times. Leaning over must have helped it come out easier becuase I instantly felt relief -- but then I was astonished to find a fairly large and hard mass in my bathroom sink that had come from my nasal passages. It was about the size and shape of a rounded grape and it was yellow-light orange in color. It was NOT translucent and had a jagged part with some tinges of red on it. This had never happened to me before. When I tried to find out through the Internet what it could be it sounded like it could have been a nasal polyp. Is it possible to blow a nasal polyp out through your nasal passages? If it wasn't a nasal polyp then what was it? Should I follow up with my doctor about this?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A2012
Nasal polyps are due to a chronic nasal inflammation. The polyps are usually well bound to the base of the nose and can’t be expelled so easily by blowing the nose. The hard mass expelled from your nose could be some type blood coagulum mixed with dry nasal mucus. You can consult an ENT-specialist for further help.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.