Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Lightheadedness After Eating (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Last february, I had a big panic attack, since then i've dealt with anxiety on a daily basis. I also have that lightheadedness feeling that a lot of you get. The one where it feels like a dream trance when you walk. Anyway I noticed that I get it sometimes after I eat. Although I also get it thought the day.
Anyway, I thought I might be diabetic (thanks to the hypochondria, that I picked up with anxiety) but I did some research and found no connection between dizziness and diabetes. I experience no pain, nausea, nor discomfort with the lightheadness

anybody else have this problem? Or this the anxiety just toying with me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 21st, 2008
same symptoms
I have the same symptoms as you. I had a panic attach 2 months ago and I feel like I am going insane. My worst symptoms come after I eat. I get lightheaded and sometimes shortness of breath. I think I might have a association anxiety to food, because I had my panic attack right after I ate. Did you have your panic attack after you ate? Did you have head pains for a while and then they turn into dizzy spells. I think I am turning into a hypochondriac as well. I dont know if it is anxiety or a real problem. I had a CT scan done last week and it came back negative. If you hear any suggestion please write back.
|

replied February 6th, 2009
similar symptoms
I recently experienced a lot of anxiety about something, and now get pretty lightheaded after I eat. And sometimes get lightheaded for, what seems to be, no reason
|

replied May 4th, 2009
Same exact symptoms
I've been stressed out for few months and I had one bad panic attach in January 09. Since then I started to get dizzy and some shortness of breath when I eat! I started working on my anxiety and the symptoms got better, and it went away for a couple of weeks. About four days ago I started to get stressed out again and guess what, it came back. So yes anxiety can cause all this, but what I don't understand is that I didn't get my panic attach after eating, I got it when I was sleeping in the middle of the night. Why this happens after I eat, I really don't know and would love to find out if anybody knows the answer.
|

replied June 17th, 2009
Try not to self-diagnose!
Guys, let me tell you that you might be having panic/anxiety, and you might not! I had a huge panic attack last fall. I was jittery, had insomnia, short of breath. In a word: miserable. I thought I was going insane. So rather than drink myself to sleep every night, I went to the doctor. She prescribed me Zoloft and ordered some labs. I blew off the labs--never do that! I did not have anxiety. I had severe iron deficiency anemia. Those weren't panic attacks. My red blood cell count was so low that I wasn't getting enough oxygen to my heart and brain. This is serious stuff! So just to rule out more severe problems, don't make the same mistakes I did. DON'T try and self-diagnose. DON'T blow off your basic labs!
|

replied August 7th, 2012
erm... this post has worried me abit because i have had problems with severe iron deficiency , would you mind giving me a bit more detail ?
x
|

replied August 7th, 2009
Me too...I am dizzy and light headed.
I also experience dizziness and light headedness and that "trance like" state when I walk. It usually does occur after I eat but it can occur without having eaten also. I didn't think about the iron deficiency so I may get that checked out. Otherwise, I have no clue what could be the problem but glad to know others experience it too and its not just in my head.
|

replied August 7th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Light-headedness/sleepiness -are- possible symptoms of diabetes. Experiencing these issues after eating could also be low blood pressure or any number of serious issues. Anxiety could be mimicking issues but why would it? You can't really have hypochondria of symptoms you don't associate with an illness. I think it's important to see a doctor about this and for your own good go in with an open and objective mind.
|

replied October 6th, 2009
Lightheadedness after eating
It's nice to know there are others out there experiencing this. I started my lightheaded odyssy 15 years ago at age 45. It progressively got worse. Trying to walk up a hill after eating was the worst. I had every test imaginable, but they all came back normal. The Dr. finally prescribed Paxil and it took the edge off the dizziness (go figure). The only draw back is I can't ease myself off Paxil without being so dizzy I can't walk a block. Onward and sideways.
|

replied November 25th, 2009
Lightheaded after eating - out of breath
Wow - I typed my symptoms in the search bar and found this page. I am right there with all of you. I almost fainted at work - totally just went down - after eating!!! My heart was pounding. Went to the ER - stayed overnight - had at CAT Scan and Xray of my chest, Ultrasound of my heart and legs - nothing wrong. Just left my DR's office. He mentioned that I have a fibroid that needs to be removed that is causing heavy periods, anemia and possibly other hormonal changes. I'm wondering how many on this board are women. I've had a few more light episodes since leaving the hospital. All within an hour of eating. One actually after I left the DR's office today. I took a bagel and coffee with me to eat after fasting all morning for blood tests. I will be diligent about taking the iron supplements since he thinks anemia may play a huge part in what is happening (see above post by itsmynameforgodssake). That is exactly what is happening to me. God bless and perfect health to all.
|

replied February 11th, 2010
Lightheaded after eating
I also get lightheaded after eating. What I have learned is after you eat, your body begins to diegest your food. At that point, it lowers your blood pressure. Which causes you to feel a (little bit) lightheaded. Which has been happening all our lives. Up untill the point you had your first anxiety attack, which definetly causes lightheadness. So what's happened is that you have learned to assoceate lightheadedness with an anxiety attack. So every time you eat and start to feel lightheaded, you think you are having an anxiety attack. There are lots of thangs that can cause light headedness. Dehydration, sinus infections, ear infections, Poor nutrition. not eating right. not getting enough excrcise. If you are feeling lightheaded the best thang to do is go see your doctor to (first) rule out any thang serious. Like anemia or angina or other heart related problems. If everythang comes back good, try looking into the thangs I have suggested. Sorry about the spelling, not the best speller. Hope this helps.
|

replied June 9th, 2010
Lightheaded from Chinese food
I get very lightheaded when I eat Chinese food. This never happens with any other type of food. After about one normal sized plate my head is spinning. The first two times I didn't think much of it, but now that it's happened a third time I've taken note and will not eat it anymore. I have a younger brother who one day went temporarily blind while drinking a can of Mt Dew and turned out he had diabetes. Seems like the two could be related somehow.
|

replied July 25th, 2010
Lighteadedness
I would strongly suggest being tested for hypo/hyperthyroid. I was having panic attacks and major anxiety issues along with out of body experiences and intense light headedness. After a year of the symptoms I was diagnosed Hypothyroid which solved ALL of these problems. I've begun getting light headed just about every time I eat (it lasts about a minute), and i think it might be because it's time for my thyroid to be checked again. Again if you have any of these problems (ESPECIALLY if female) ask to be tested for hypothyroid or hyperthyroid.
|

replied August 18th, 2010
To all of you - I keep reading the "same thing" over and over....

I WISH I had a "doctor" I could even afford to see... Since 1978 - when I had my first 'gran mal' panic attack (no one knew much about them then) I have dealt with anxiety and panic disorder... I read where it is mostly people from broken homes who experience these... BROKEN HOMES... Is there any other kind these days?
I am now nearly 64... You'd think I'd outgrow this problem. NOT!
But... One thing I've learned is to BREATHE for Gaud's sake!!!!!

Toss your Paxil and all the rest of that crutch stuff (well - don't toss it too far) and just try breathing... cuz I can tell you that it's what we don't do when panic strikes...!
And in this world at this time - there's a LOT of reasons to panic!!!! Don't sell that one short!
I think I'd rather be running from dinosaurs than the stuff that's coming at us nowadays!
MY EXPERIENCE - for what it's worth -
YES - you can get dizzy from anx... and many other things as well... and don't discount hypoglycemia - it's extremely common with our modern diets!
in fact - I've experienced nearly every side effect imaginable from panic/anxiety including extreme visuals, complete numbness in my legs for two weeks straight, "heart attack" symptoms, nausea, incredible hypochondria and fear/paranoia, etc...

What helps a LOT is to begin to LOVE yourself (it's not always easy)... and as Ondrea Levine once said to me - "you must treat yourself as if you are your own only child..." That has been invaluable!!!! Priceless!!!
I am so sorry that this world is so user-unfriendly that we even have to have these discussions and forums! So dangerous. So fearful. So unsafe.
Love yourselves, children. As I love you.
|

replied August 28th, 2010
Pre Diabetic
I have had the same problem and have had some blood tests done. One of the blood tests was insulin and gluclose. A lot of doctors only do glucose. Everyone should have their insulin tested. You can have a normal level of glucose and an elevated level of insulin and be considered as pre diabetic. It is called insulin resistance. Dizziness after eating can be from POSTPRANDIAL (meaning after-eating) HYPOGLICEMIA. Which can be related to insulin resistance.
|

replied January 7th, 2011
Anxiety after eating
Hello all,

Like many of you I had experienced many of these same symptoms after having had a panic attack months ago. What happens is that whenever you feel a sensation that reminds you of something you felt during an attack(i.e. Lightheadedness, dizziness, increased heart rate) your mind goes into a panic mode and makes the anxiety levels increase. I got ativan to deal with the symptoms but it just ended up making things worse as I would get panicy whenever I didn't take it. The real problem here is the psychosomatic effects of anxiety, it tends to exaserbate things. In short, for the majority of us, it's all in our heads! This isn't meant to downplay any of the very real sensations we are feeling. Psychosomatic illness is a real thing that brings about real physical sensations that are very uncomfortable(feeling of dying of a terrible illness, palpitations, tightness in chest etc.). The first thing you need to do is remind yourself of the fact that before you ever had an anxiety/panic attack, you were never concerned about a little lightheadedness after eating. Tell yourself that no one has ever died from the sensations brought on by a panic attack or anxiety. Practice some diaphramic breathing while reminding yourself that everything will be okay. If you would like to follow a program that will get you past these anxious feelings(it really does work and is very thorough), buy Attacking Anxiety And Depression by Lucinda Bassett. If you don't want to pay for it, just look for the torrent. It will help you out. Just remember that these sensations will not kill you! The paranoia feeling is just a natural reaction set up by our bodies to protect us in fight or flight situations. You will get over anxiety if you want to, it's almost entirely a mental thing. Take care everyone:)
|

replied November 29th, 2011
Your dizziness.
Not one person here has even mentioned salt.
|

replied January 26th, 2012
Light headed after eating anxiety attack
Glad to hear I am not alone. I had an anxiety attack after eating last week starting off with the same light-headed feeling etc. Now when I eat and my blood pressure drops I am associating it with that attack. I have had alot of life changes that has caused me to be stressed this past year, within this time, I have had about 6 panic attacks, so I know it is not another condition. Thank you for the DVD suggestion. There are alot of scams out there. There will always be stresses in our life. What we all need is some sort stress management, cognitive-reprogramming, deep faith or sprituality to change our outlook when things are down. Hopefully the next time I write back I have figured out how to do that Smile
|

replied January 26th, 2012
Light headed after eating
Glad to hear I am not alone. I had an anxiety attack after eating last week starting off with the same light-headed feeling etc. Now when I eat and my blood pressure drops I am associating it with that attack. I have had alot of life changes that has caused me to be stressed this past year, within this time, I have had about 6 panic attacks, so I know it is not another condition. Thank you for the DVD suggestion. There are alot of scams out there. There will always be stresses in our life. What we all need is some sort stress management, cognitive-reprogramming, deep faith or sprituality to change our outlook when things are down. Hopefully the next time I write back I have figured out how to do that Smile
|

replied August 7th, 2012
do you think salt has something important to do with it ?
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2012
I'm a 31 year old woman with hypoglycemia & I suffer these "out of nowhere" panic attacks. These attacks usually happen when I try to eat my first meal of the day... I get dizzy, shaky, twitchy (my whole body twitches slightly), nauseated, sweaty palms, tingling in hands & feet (common in people with hypoglycemia), & my heart rate goes up to about 120bpm give or take. Sometimes my heart rate will go up to 130bpm or higher. I have no clue why this happens. Nothing traumatic has ever happened to me while eating, ever. I cannot eat in restaurants. I was put on Paxil, but I took myself off of it 6 weeks later as it made my whole body ache and I had severe mood swings. I now take Ativan as needed, but it doesn't cure me of my issue. I have had many blood tests done recently and everything comes back normal. I am so upset with everything that I cannot leave the house most days. I have no insurance, so I can't keep going to the doctor with no results. Anyone have any input?
|

replied July 6th, 2012
Same here
I had my first panic attack a few month ago, and like you, have then dealt with anxiety on a daily basis. I recently started feeling anxious and light headed after I eat. I wonder what is is???
|

replied July 6th, 2012
Me2
I had my first panic attack a few months ago, and like most of you, have been dealing with very minor anxiety on a daily basis. I recently started feeling anxious and light headed after I eat, I guess the right word is a "trance" state as posted above. I wonder what it could be... I've gone to the doctor a few times they just keep giving me xanax and prozac. Any advice?
|

replied August 7th, 2012
Problems with anxiety after eating
this is so weird , because ive got post traumatic stress disorder , and ive been experiencing dizzyness , extreme shortness of breath , followed by panic attacks and crying , and it seems to happen very regularly after I eat. Im sure im obviously feeling this way anyways , but something about eating causes my body to react at its worst. I have been told that alot of anxiety can cause your body to develop irritable bowel and acid reflux which could cause the shortness of breath and dizzyness straight after eating.
|
12 >>